These quick and easy 30-minute recipes are the BEST weeknight dinner ideas – they'll feed the entire family in a flash!
What's the quickest thing you can make for dinner?
Any of these recipes are great for dinner and will be ready in less than a half-hour. If you want to save time on cleanup as well, sheet pan recipes and one-pot meals are the way to go! You’ll get the best of both worlds with less time cooking and less dishes.
Quick & Healthy Dinner Ideas
After a long day at work, school or just everyday life, the last thing you want to worry about is cooking a long and complicated meal. You might think that tight on time means short on flavour – but that couldn’t be further from the truth.
To help take away any dinnertime stress, I rounded up some of my favourite healthy and easy recipes that will be ready in 30 minutes or less with everything from pasta to buddha bowls, flatbreads and soups. They come together super fast so you can spend less time in the kitchen and more time relaxing. See all my 30-minute meals here if you're looking for even more time-saving recipes and if you're looking to feed a crowd, try these family dinner ideas here.
Watch how to make some of these recipes on YouTube!
We all have some chicken laying around in the freezer waiting to be used up. These quick and easy chicken dinners are crowd-pleasing favourites! Try a sheet pan dinner, a rice bowl, a pasta, or a wrap – they're all winners!
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
Steak shouldn't be reserved for just special occasions! It's a quick protein to cook up and goes well in stuffed peppers, tacos, and on a flatbread. Ground beef also makes for a fast meal – you'll love these delicious recipes!
Seafood, specifically shrimp, is one of my favourite shortcuts for getting dinner on the table fast as it cooks up super quickly. Try it in tacos, pasta or rice dishes for a complete meal. There's also a no-cook shrimp recipe in this round up for an even speedier option!
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
One hack for making 30-minute dinners is using helpful appliances like the Instant Pot or a rice cooker. I also use frozen vegetables when and where it makes sense as it significantly cut down on prep time. Give these hacks a try with these fast and easy vegetarian dinners!
Meal Prep for Dinner
All these recipes will be ready in less than a half-hour, but you can save even more time on the weeknights by meal prepping these recipes on the weekend and storing them in the fridge or the freezer in airtight glass containers. That way, when it’s time for dinner, all you have to do is pop your dinner in the microwave and enjoy!
Alternatively, you can choose to prep ingredients instead of batch-cooking your dinners. This way, you'll spend a short time prepping your meals on the weekend so they will all come together in 20 minutes or less when it's time to cook. This is my preferred way of meal prep as it's less of a time commitment upfront, plus, you won't get stuck eating leftovers! Learn more about how to ingredient prep here.
35+ Healthy 30-Minute Meals for Busy Weeknights
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 lb shittake mushrooms (or any mushrooms will work here, make sure they are finely chopped)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp freshly minced ginger (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tbsp low sodium soy sauce (use coconut aminos for Whole 30 and tamari for gluten free)
- 2 tsp sriracha (optional)
- 1 (227mL) can water chestnuts, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup matchstick carrots
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 head romaine or Boston leaf lettuce
- Heat sesame oil in a large frying pan over med-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook for 4-5 minutes until juices start to release, then add chicken, season with a pinch of salt, and break up with a slotted spoon, cooking for 2 minutes until lightly browned.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sriracha, water chestnuts and carrots, mixing all together and sauteing until chicken is fully cooked, about 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in green onions.
- Add chicken mixture to lettuce leaves then serve and enjoy!