This Shrimp Salad is the BEST no cook dinner idea for summer – turn it into a pasta salad or serve in brioche rolls for a filling meal.
How to make this recipe
In a large bowl, mix together mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, herbs and salt & pepper.
Toss cooked shrimp, celery and green onions in mixture until well-coated.
Let sit for 15 minutes to soak up the flavours before serving.
Serve and enjoy as is or serve with lettuce in brioche buns with potato chips on the side.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Light mayo – greek yogurt is a great alternative to light mayo
- Sour cream – greek yogurt or cottage cheese can be used in place of sour cream for this recipe.
- Lemon juice – fresh lemon juice is recommended but you can use bottled lemon juice if you’re in a pinch. If you’re really in a bind, use lime juice!
- Dill – fennel, thyme, rosemary or parsley would be great alternatives to dill.
- Chives – replace chives with extra green onions or omit entirely.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Cooked shrimp – use cocktail shrimp, defrosted cooked frozen shrimp or cook your own shrimp for this recipe if you’re in a pinch.
- Celery stalks – celery stalks are recommended for this recipe.
- Green onions – use extra chives or leave out entirely.
To serve (optional)
- Brioche buns – another bun will also work but brioche buns will give an authentic lobster roll taste.
- Boston leaf lettuce – use another lettuce like romaine or iceberg to create your lettuce wraps.
- Potato chips – any potato chips will work, but kettle chips will pair amazing with the shrimp salad!
How to cook shrimp for salad
For this recipe to truly be a “no cook” salad, you can use frozen cooked shrimp. All you have to do is defrost the bag of shrimp in the fridge overnight. If you forget to move your frozen shrimp the the fridge the night before, you can defrost the shrimp under the sink by running the bag under cold water for 10-20 minutes. You can also use cocktail shrimp if you'd like but this tends to be more expensive to purchase.
If you can't find pre-cooked shrimp, you can boil raw shrimp in a pot on the stove for 2 minutes until shrimp is just cooked all the way through. You'll know it's cooked once it turns pink.
Shrimp salad with pasta
You can turn this recipe into a delicious pasta salad by adding your favourite cooked pasta. All you have to do to make this your new favourite pasta salad is double the dressing and add one pound of cooked pasta. Make sure to let the cooked pasta chill before adding it to the shrimp salad.
If you're looking to make this a pasta salad some popular pasta to use would be bowtie pasta, rotini, rigatoni, penne or tricolour spiral pasta.
What to serve with shrimp salad
Shrimp salad is a no cook dinner dream! It comes together quickly and is a delicious summer recipe to take to summer BBQs, potlucks or picnics. If you're looking to serve this shrimp salad at your next gathering here's some things you can bring to accompany this salad:
- Brioche buns, beer and kettle chips: get the full summer experience by making faux lobster rolls with the shrimp salad. Pair with kettle chips and a cold beer to complete the meal.
- Low carb lettuce wraps: scoop the shrimp salad into Boston lettuce (or another lettuce of your choice) and make a light meal!
- Crackers: add crunchy texture to this dish by scooping your salad with buttery crackers or simply enjoy the crackers alongside the meal.
- Avocado: serve your shrimp salad into the halves of an avocado. The creaminess of the avocado is the perfect pair to this dish.
- Pasta: as suggested above, create a hearty pasta salad by adding cooked pasta to the shrimp salad.
How long does shrimp salad last in the fridge?
Shrimp salad lasts in the fridge for up to three days. Since this salad is made with fresh mayo and has seafood, you won't want to keep it in the fridge any longer than that. To store your shrimp salad in the fridge, transfer the leftover salad immediately into an airtight container and then place it into the fridge.
If you want to enjoy this salad in lettuce wraps or in a brioche bun, you will still want to store the shrimp salad separately and serve in any style you prefer when you're ready to enjoy!
More shrimp recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you want to store this salad in the fridge
- 1/3 cup light mayo
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 tbsp lemon juice preferably from a fresh lemon
- 2 tsp dried or fresh dill, finely chopped
- 2 tsp fresh chives, finely chopped
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lb cooked shrimp
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
To serve (optional)
- 4 brioche buns
- Boston leaf lettuce
- Potato chips
- In a large bowl, mix together mayo, sour cream, lemon juice, herbs and salt & pepper. Toss cooked shrimp, celery and green onions in mixture until well-coated. Let sit for 15 minutes to soak up the flavours before serving.
- If desired, serve with lettuce in brioche buns with potato chips on the side. Enjoy!