This Instant Pot Taco Soup is a great option for busy weeknights with all your favourite taco toppings and gluten-free chickpea noodles.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – any neutral oil like grapeseed oil, sunflower oil or canola oil can be used instead.
- Yellow onion – white onion, sweet onions or shallots can be used in place of yellow onions.
- Garlic – use fresh or jarred minced garlic. Garlic powder is great in a pinch.
- Chili powder – cayenne pepper, paprika or taco seasoning would work here.
- Cumin – curry powder, taco seasoning or ground coriander have a similar flavour.
- Oregano – dried parsley, dried basil or Italian seasoning would also be good.
- Salt (to taste)
- Diced tomatoes – you could also use fresh tomatoes, tomato puree or tomato paste.
- Black beans – substitute with any beans of your choice like navy beans, kidney beans, etc.
- Corn – use either canned or frozen corn.
- Vegetable broth – use water with a vegetable bouillon cube instead of vegetable broth.
- Bell peppers – use any colour bell pepper.
- Chickpea pasta – any gluten free pasta can be used instead of chickpea pasta. If you have no gluten intolerance, then use regular pasta instead.
- Jalapeno pepper – to garnish.
- Cilantro – to garnish.
- Avocado – to garnish.
How to make taco soup
- Add the olive oil, onion, garlic, spices, tomatoes, beans, corn and vegetable broth to the Instant Pot.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick-release of the pressure
- Stir in the bell peppers and chickpea pasta.
- Serve with jalapeno, avocado and cilantro and dig in!
Is chickpea pasta really better for you?
Chickpea pasta uses chickpeas insead of wheat and is a great gluten-free alternative for those with any intolerances. It’s also a lot lighter than traditional pasta!
Nutritionally, chickpea pasta is a great option because it is packed with protein and fibre. It has two times the amount of protein, four times the amount fibre and a much lower carb count.
Frequently Asked Questions
I like eating this taco soup on its own with jalapeno, avocado and cilantro for garnish but cornbread and tortilla chips would also be good. You could also cut down on the serving size and eat this soup as a side with other Mexican-inspired dishes like chicken tacos or chile rellenos.
This soup is ready in just 30 minutes in the Instant Pot. Instead of having to let it simmer for an hour or more by making it on the stovetop, it’s ready in a flash – perfect for busy weeknights.
This soup is full of fibre and protein which makes it a healthy lunch or dinner option. Plus, it’s vegetarian and gluten-free!
Storing and reheating
Store any leftovers in airtight containers or mason jars in the fridge once cooled to room temperature. The soup will last in the fridge for up to five days, making it a great meal prep recipe!
When ready to enjoy, reheat the soup in the microwave for about 2-3 minutes. Make sure to take the soup out at the mid-way point to stir.
Freezing this soup
Wait for the soup to cool to room temperature before freezing. Freeze a batch in meal prep containers, airtight glass bowls or mason jars.
If reheating the soup from frozen, make sure that the soup is microwave safe then microwave for 5-6 minutes on high. Make sure to pause half-way through the cook time to stir the soup.
If you prefer to let the soup thaw first, defrost in the fridge overnight and then microwave for 2-3 minutes.
Want to Learn How to Meal Prep? Join Dinner Prep Pro!
Our meal planning service removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night thanks to our prep ahead checklists. It takes just one hour of ingredient prep on a Sunday!
More Instant Pot soup recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this recipe into leftovers.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months.
Instant Pot Taco Soup (Vegetarian + Gluten Free!)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium-sized yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 (796mL) can Diced tomatoes
- 1 can Black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 each red, yellow and green pepper, diced
- 1 box Chickapea Pasta, shells must be gluten free pasta
- 1 jalapeno pepper, sliced
- Cilantro for garnish
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic, spices, diced tomatoes, beans, corn and vegetable broth to Instant Pot in that order. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, then do a quick release of the pressure.
- Stir in bell peppers and Chickapea Pasta, then let sit for 5-10 minutes. Ladle into bowls then top with jalapeno, cilantro and avocado. Serve and enjoy!