This 30-Minute One Pot Lasagna Soup is freezer-friendly, and can also be made in the slow cooker or Instant Pot – it's comfort in a bowl!
Ingredients and substitutions
This ingredient list will look familiar. You’ll get all the amazing tastes of lasagna in soup form. No assembly required! Here's what you need:
- Extra lean ground beef – you can sub with ground turkey or ground chicken to lighten the calories
- Onions – any type, including shallots, will work here
- Garlic – in a pinch, you could use garlic powder or use a garlic-based pasta sauce, but I highly recommend fresh garlic here
- Italian seasoning – an equal blend of dried parsley, thyme, sage, basil and rosemary is basically what Italian seasoning is, so feel free to mix it together yourself or just use the herbs you have on hand
- Marinara sauce – any type of jarred pasta sauce will work here
- Beef broth – chicken or vegetable broth will also work
- Pasta – I use mafalda pasta to make it look like true lasagna soup, but you can just break up lasagna noodles into bite-sized pieces
- Ricotta cheese – this is just used for topping, so feel free to leave it out
- Mozzarella cheese – you do need SOME cheese for topping, so this is the one I'd choose if you could only choose one; cheddar or Swiss cheese could also be used but will change the flavour a bit
- Parsley – I use this for garnish, but fresh basil would also be nice here; the garnishes are optional
- Veggies – this recipe doesn't call for any veggies to keep it simple, but I love adding in some sliced mushrooms and spinach; you could also do a carrot/celery dice to add some more flavour but also add veggies
How to make this recipe
This is a 30 minute one-pot meal. Here's a brief overview of how to make it, with more specific instructions in the recipe card at the bottom of the page:
- Brown the ground beef in the soup pot – you'll use the little fat from the beef to keep it from sticking to the pot instead of adding any olive oil. This way you also don't need to drain the fat.
- Add onions and garlic once beef is browned slightly.
- Add all the other ingredients except cheeses.
- Simmer for 20 minutes.
- Top bowls of lasagna soup with ricotta and mozzarella cheeses and fresh herbs.
Making it in the Instant Pot
If you want to make this lasagna soup dish even quicker, you can use your Instant Pot. It's still a one-pot meal too!
- Use the sauté setting on the Instant Pot to brown the ground beef, onions and garlic.
- Add all of the ingredients except the cheese. Make sure that the noodles are completely submerged in the broth.
- Set the Instant Pot to cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Do a quick release.
- Serve with cheese and herbs.
Making it in the slow cooker
Another option for making this lasagna soup is to prepare it in the morning and let it cook all day in the slow cooker. When you come home in the evening, your hot meal will be ready.
- Brown the meat on the stove top with the onions and garlic. While it will cook completely to a safe temperature if you skip this step, the taste and texture is much better if you take a few minutes to brown the meat separately.
- Add everything but the pasta and cheeses in the slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. In the last half hour of cook time, add your pasta.
- Serve with cheeses and fresh herbs and enjoy!
What to serve with lasagna soup
This soup has a little bit of everything so you don't need a side dish – there are starches in the pasta, protein in the meat and veggies in the marinara sauce. You can even add extra veggies to the soup itself. Some great side dishes that will compliment your lasagna soup are:
- Green salad
- Italian bread or garlic bread
- Antipasto platter
- Roasted veggies
Storing and reheating
Lasagna soup can be stored in the refrigerator for four to five days. This means that you can eat the leftovers or even use this recipe for meal prep.
Just store it in serving size containers and your lunch will be ready to go.
To reheat a single serving, you can put it in the microwave for a minute or two. The noodles will continue to soak up the broth while stored. You may want to add a splash of broth or water while reheating.
Making this a freezer meal
You can freeze any leftovers if you won’t eat them in the next few days. Lasagna soup will last in the freezer for three months.
You can reheat the soup right from frozen in the microwave for 6-8 minutes, stirring partway through.
If you want to do some of the prep ahead of time to freeze for later, you can brown the meat and then put everything but the noodles and broth into a freezer safe bag. When you are ready to cook it, dump the bag into your pot, add the noodles and broth and simmer until the noodles are cooked.
Want to Learn How to Meal Prep? Join Dinner Prep Pro!
Our meal planning service removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night thanks to our prep ahead checklists. It takes just one hour of ingredient prep on a Sunday!
More cozy soup recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Order the same mafalda pasta I use in this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this soup into your weekly lunches.
- I get all my grass-fed ground beef from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
The BEST One Pot Lasagna Soup
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 2 onions, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 (650mL) jar marinara sauce
- 4 cups beef broth
- 2 cups dried mafalda pasta or rotini
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese
- Fresh parsley or basil, for garnish
- Saute ground beef in a large pot over med-high heat until browned, about 5 minutes. Add onions and garlic, sauteeing another 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Add remaining ingredients except for cheeses and fresh herbs, stirring to combine then bringing to a boil. Place lid on pot and simmer for 20 minutes until pasta is cooked through.
- Serve soup in large bowls, sprinkling mozzarella cheese overtop and topping with a dollop of ricotta. Garnish with fresh herbs if desired, then serve and enjoy!
Slow cooker instructions
- Brown the beef, onions and garlic in a large skillet over med-high heat for 5 minutes. Add to slow cooker, along with remaining ingredients except cheese. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours. Top with cheeses, then serve and enjoy!
Instant Pot instructions
- Brown the beef, onions and garlic using the saute feature for 5 minutes. Add remaining ingredients, except for cheeses, pushing the pasta underneath the liquid. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes, then do a quick release. Top bowls with cheeses, then serve and enjoy!