This Healthier Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with broccoli and white cheddar is comfort food that comes together with less than 10 ingredients!
How to make this recipe
Add butter, water, salt and macaroni spirals to Instant Pot in that order.
Set to cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. Once complete, open the lid when it's safe to do so.
Stir in milk and white cheddar until fully blended, then add broccoli florets and stir.
Replace the lid and let sit 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Butter – any other type of fat like butter, vegan butter, margarine, ghee, and heavy cream will work in this recipe.
- Macaroni spirals – macaroni spirals are also known as scoobi do noodles. You can use any pasta you prefer in place of the macaroni spirals, like rigatoni, macaroni elbows, penne, and more!
- 2% Milk – feel free to substitute the 2% milk for a non dairy milk of choice like oat milk, almond milk or soy milk.
- White cheddar cheese – this is a white cheddar cheese recipe but you can use any cheese of your choice like cheddar, gouda, gruyere and more.
- Broccoli – broccoli pairs beautifully with the white cheddar sauce. If you're not a fan of broccoli, feel free to sub in another veggie of your choice or leave it out altogether.
- Salt (to taste)
Storing and reheating
This dish is so good, I highly recommend making more than one serving so that you can enjoy it throughout your week! To store this meal you will want to put each individual serving in an airtight glass container. Once you've done this, let the macaroni and cheese cool down to room temperature and then you can place in the fridge and keep it for up to. 5 days.
When you're ready to enjoy the dish, reheat the mac and cheese in the microwave for 1-2 minutes until warmed. Once warmed you can enjoy it straight from the glass container or serve the dish in a bowl.
Freezing the Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
Make sure your macaroni and cheese is cooled down entirely before you begin to freeze it. Once the macaroni and cheese has cooled down, divide them into airtight containers or freezer bags in your desired serving sizes. I recommend dividing the dish into single servings if you live alone or if you plan on enjoying one serving at a time. Place the dish into the freezer and keep for up to 2 months!
When you're ready to enjoy your frozen mac and cheese, thaw your serving and then microwave until warm or for best results, place in the oven for 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Serve and enjoy!
More Instant Pot recipes
Meal prep tools
- The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 is the version I use in this recipe.
- Grab some Glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this up for lunch!
Healthy Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 lb macaroni spirals (sometimes call scoobi do)
- 1 can evaporated milk
- 3 cups white cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 head broccoli, finely chopped
- Add butter, water, salt and macaroni spirals to Instant Pot in that order. Set to cook on high pressure for 2 minutes. Once complete, place a towel overtop of the pressure release valve, then do a quick release of pressure and open the lid when safe to do so.
- Stir in milk and white cheddar until fully blended, then add broccoli florets and stir. Replace the lid and let sit 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy! For those who like their broccoli more well done, it can be cooked in a bowl of water for 5 minutes in the microwave, then drained and added to the Mac and cheese.
- Add macaroni to a large pot of salted boiling water on the stove. Boil for 8-9 minutes until al dente, then rinse and drain.
- Add macaroni back to pot over medium-high heat. Add butter, stirring until melted. Stir in evaporated milk and cheese until creamy and well combined. Finally, stir in broccoli and continuing cooking another 3-4 minutes until broccoli is tender. Serve and enjoy!