This Sheet Pan Rosemary Chicken is a healthy, low-carb meal prep idea that is perfect as a 30-minute dinner or to pack up as lunch bowls!
How to make sheet pan rosemary chicken
- Preheat oven
- Make rosemary marinade by combining olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, salt & pepper.
- Add chicken and veggies to a parchment-lined sheet pan. Toss chicken and veggies with the rosemary marinade.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes (the timing will depend on the size of chicken breast used, I recommend checking at the 15 minute mark before adding more time).
- Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – any neutral olive oil can replace olive oil (such as canola oil, grapeseed oil, melted butter, avocado oil, etc.)
- Lemon juice – fresh lemon juice is recommended but feel free to substitute with bottled lemon juice or lime juice in a pinch.
- Garlic – use fresh or jarred minced garlic for this recipe. Garlic powder can be used in a pinch.
- Rosemary – rosemary is the star of this recipe, but feel free to substitute with another herb of choice like thyme, oregano, etc.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Chicken breast – substitute chicken breast with chicken thighs for a juicier cut of meat. Chicken cutlets also make for a great substitution to chicken breast.
- Cauliflower – broccoli is the closest substitute to cauliflower but feel free to substitute it with any veggie of choice.
- Red pepper – use any bell pepper of choice or replace altogether with your preferred vegetable.
- Brussel sprouts – feel free to substitute with a vegetable of your preference or leave out altogether.
- Red onion – white onion or yellow onion can be used instead of red onion. Leave out altogether if you're not a fan of onions.
What does rosemary chicken taste like?
This meal prep chicken dinner tastes like a cross between roasted Thanksgiving turkey and Greek chicken.
This rosemary chicken has minimal seasonings so it's just about as easy as turning to your spice drawer and adding rosemary, garlic, salt & pepper to some chicken and veggies. Meal prep can't get any easier than this!
The aroma of rosemary is a bit like lemon tea, with a woodsy, piney taste. It's a powerful herb, so a little goes a long way, but it's flavourful and delicious!
You can use fresh rosemary or dry rosemary in this recipe, and if you do decide to choose fresh rosemary for a more powerful burst of flavour, you can rest easy knowing that fresh rosemary lasts in the fridge up to 2 weeks – more than enough time to make this rosemary chicken again and add a fun garnish to new dishes in that time too!
What is a sheet pan dinner?
A sheet pan dinner takes the ease of a one pot dinner but places it all on a sheet pan! Making dinner in a sheet pan doesn't require much work or cleanup, so it's the ideal dinner idea for busy nights.
All you need to do to enjoy a meal like this is to marinade your chicken and veggies while the oven is preheating, lay them on a sheet pan and bake!
Is rosemary chicken healthy?
Sheet Pan Rosemary Chicken is made with boneless, skinless chicken breast cutlets and fresh veggies, so it is a very healthy dinner option! When enjoying this meal, you can rest easy knowing you're enjoying a meal filled with necessary micronutrients and filling protein.
This meal is also gluten-free, low carb, paleo, and Whole30-friendly, too!
Storing and reheating
This recipe is meal prep friendly so you can make this easy sheet pan dinner your lunches for the week! Store the rosemary chicken in the fridge for up to 4-5 days in the fridge.
I suggest packing them in individual portions in glass meal prep bowls. Then when you're ready to eat your meals, you can reheat the serving for 1-2 minutes in the microwave.
Note: when reheating, sprinkle some water overtop to make sure the chicken doesn't dry out!
Freezing this recipe
Unfortunately this recipe as a whole will not freeze well. The chicken will freeze fine, but the veggies may get extra soggy and lose their taste.
If you would like to freeze this dish, separate the chicken and freeze in a glass bowl for 1-2 months. To eat the chicken, defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat as per the instructions above. Make the veggies fresh or use the chicken to another meal and repurpose it.
More chicken sheet pan recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing up this rosemary chicken for your weekly lunches.
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
Sheet Pan Rosemary Chicken
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 chicken breasts, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 head cauliflower, chopped into florets
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cup brussels sprouts, sliced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450 F.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper to a small bowl and mix to combine.
- Add chicken and veggies to a parchment-lined sheet pan. Drizzle olive oil-lemon juice mixture overtop, rubbing it over chicken and tossing veggies.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, flipping chicken and stirring veggies halfway through, until chicken is fully cooked. Time will depend on the size of breasts - the smaller the breast, the lower the cook time. I always check at the 15 minute mark before adding more time.
- Serve and enjoy!