This Roasted Vegetable Flatbread is perfect for entertaining, and has a delicious variety of vegetables such as portobello mushrooms.
How to make this recipe
Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
Roll pizza dough out flat, and fit onto a pizza stone or a regular oven tray. Brush with olive oil and season with salt & pepper, topping with garlic. Place into the oven to cook.
While cooking, slice vegetables. Add vegetables to a non-stick baking sheet, seasoning with salt and pepper and drizzling remaining olive oil. Roast in the oven for 5 min.
Once dough is finished, remove from oven and add ricotta cheese as the first layer, then add vegetables, herbs & and other cheeses.
Cook for another 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted and pizza dough is fully cooked. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Pizza dough – store bought pizza dough will be the easiest to use in this recipe. If you enjoy making your own pizza dough, feel free to do so. And if you're gluten intolerant or looking for a low-carb meal, use cauliflower crust instead.
- Olive oil – any neutral oil like sunflower oil, avocado oil and grapeseed oil can work in this recipe.
- Garlic – use fresh garlic or jarred minced garlic.
- Portobello mushrooms – if you cannot find portobello mushrooms you can also use brown or white crimini mushrooms, white or brown button mushrooms or shiitake mushrooms.
- Zucchini – yellow squash would pair nicely with this recipe If you don't like zucchini or are in a pinch, leave it out entirely.
- Sundried tomato – roasted red pepper would be a good replacement for sundried tomatoes.
- Red onion – white onion, yellow onion or shallots can be used instead of red onion.
- Yellow pepper – use another bell pepper colour of your choice. Opt for either red or orange bell peppers first as they have a sweetness similar to yellow bell peppers.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Ricotta cheese – goat cheese, feta cheese or cottage cheese can be used instead of ricotta cheese.
- Basil – fresh basil chopped to garnish this pizza.
- Rosemary – fresh rosemary chopped finely to garnish this pizza.
- Parmesan cheese – the parmesan cheese adds a nutty, gritty and cheesy texture to the dish and can be a nice garnish once the pizza has been made. If you'd like to opt out of using parmesan, feel free! You can also use nutritional yeast as a garnish to achieve the same effect.
- Mozzarella cheese – mozzarella cheese will melt the best for the ultimate cheesy flatbread. If you'd like to reduce this, replace it with a cheese of your choice (goat cheese would taste incredible with these ingredients) or leave it out and let the ricotta and Parmesan shine for itself.
Storing and reheating
Just in case you have any leftover slices of your flatbread leftover, you can store them in the fridge for up to 3 days in an airtight storage container.
The best way to reheat them is to place them on a baking sheet in the oven at 350°F until they are warmed all the way through. You can reheat them in a microwave for 2-3 minutes, but the crust will likely be soggy.
Freezing this recipe
This dish is definitely freezer friendly! Flatbreads freeze really well – all you have to do is assemble your flatbread as instructed and then place them in the freezer instead of the oven! Once you've placed your flatbread in the freezer it will last for up to two months. Talk about an easy, last minute dinner idea!
If you plan on freezing your flatbread, make sure to wrap it in plastic wrap or in a freezer bag (toppings side up, of course) and then store it in the freezer. When you're ready to enjoy your dish, remove the plastic wrap and pop the flatbread into the oven directly from the freezer. Keep your flatbread in the oven 12-15 minutes until the cheese has melted.
More flatbread & pizza recipes
Meal prep tools
- Order a pizza cutter online to cut through this flatbread!
- Store leftover toppings/ingredients in these glass microwave-safe bowls
Roasted Vegetable Flatbread
- 1 bag store-bought pizza dough
- 2 tbsp olive oil divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 portobello mushroom
- 1/2 medium zucchini
- 7-8 sundried tomato slices
- 1/2 red onion sliced
- 1/2 yellow pepper sliced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 tbsp fresh basil chopped
- 1/2 tsp fresh rosemary chopped
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees.
- Roll pizza dough out flat, and fit onto a pizza stone (which must be preheated in the oven beforehand) or a regular oven tray. Brush with 1 tbsp olive oil and season with salt & pepper, topping with garlic. Cook for 8-10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, slice vegetables. Add vegetables to a non-stick baking sheet, seasoning with salt and pepper and drizzling remaining tbsp of olive oil overtop. Roast in the oven for 5 min.
- Once dough is finished, remove from oven and add ricotta cheese as the first layer, then add vegetables, herbs & and other cheeses.
- Cook for another 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted and pizza dough is fully cooked. Serve and enjoy!