These Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Ideas are perfect for busy mornings – they're quick make-ahead options you can grab and go!
Healthy Breakfast Ideas
In this round up of breakfast ideas, I've included everything from breakfast burritos to steel cut oats, breakfast quesadillas, egg bites and more.
You can make most of these breakfast ideas using a sheet pan, a casserole dish, in your Instant Pot, in a skillet or in your slow cooker. The options are endless and most of them involve batch cooking a giant serving and dividing it all up for the work week.
Many of the below breakfast options can be frozen so if you're prepping way ahead you can freeze some of the recipes for later and reheat in the microwave. Just make sure you use your microwave-safe meal prep bowls!
Why meal prep breakfast?
There are so many amazing benefits to meal prepping breakfast! Here are some reasons why you should spend some time each week getting your breakfasts sorted out:
- You'll save time in the morning by having healthy grab and go breakfast options that'll fuel you up for a busy day ahead.
- You'll save money since you're not stopping at the drive-thru or coffee shop on the way to work.
- You'll be more organized each work week, allowing you to focus your mental energy on what truly matters.
- You'll reduce stress since breakfast is ready to go in the fridge (no more struggling to decide what to eat in the first place).
Oats are one of my favourite things to prepare for breakfast! You can make overnight oats for a quick meal prep or bake them into delicious oatmeal cups or cookies. Whichever way you choose to eat them, you're going to love these high-fiber recipes.
Pancakes aren't just for weekend mornings! You can meal prep them for breakfasts throughout the week. These recipes are filled with fruits and/or protein which really makes them more nutritious and delicious!
Breakfast Bowls/Mason Jars
I'm all for making mornings simpler! Prepping your breakfasts into individual portions in glass meal prep bowls or mason jars make for easy grab-and-go breakfasts. I've included an assortment of my favourite recipes in this round up that are perfect for those frantic mornings.
Breakfast Sandwiches and Breakfast Burritos
Sandwiches and burritos aren't just for lunch! I love eating them for breakfast, too. These protein-packed recipes are a great way to start your day!
I love prepping a couple of different breakfasts every month and storing them in the freezer! These recipes can all be kept for up to 3 months. Wrap up individual portions and store them in freezer bags so all you have to do in the morning is grab a serving.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Quick breakfast ideas without recipes
If you forgot to actually do your meal prep or don't like to meal prep on the weekends, there are some easy options for breakfast on the go.
Here are some of my fave last-minute breakfast ideas:
- Avocado toast with egg
- Protein bar and banana
- Instant oatmeal and berries
- Fruit and yogurt smoothie
- Greek yogurt and granola
- Nut butter toast with fruit
- Frozen whole-wheat waffles with fruit and peanut butter
- Microwave quiche
Meal Prep Tools
Here are a few of my favourite tools and containers for meal prepping breakfast.
- Glass meal prep bowls are so great for microwaving and reheating your food safely – perfect for breakfast casseroles and steel cut oats.
- These bento box containers are perfect for separating ingredients but using the same container (think berries and pancakes).
- These non-stick egg rings are perfect for making breakfast sandwiches.
- Freeze breakfast burritos and sandwiches in Ziploc bags for up to 3 months to prevent freezer burn.
- **Get my full list of tools here**
Breakfast is often called the most important meal of the day and for good reason! A healthy breakfast will help you get in more fruit and veggie servings, balance your blood sugar and keep you feeling energized to take on the day.
Skipping breakfasts can lead to weight gain, a negative impact on your mood and energy, and it could even affect your metabolism and cardiovascular health. Meal prepping breakfasts will help you eat a healthy, nourishing breakfast regularly.
I recommend starting by meal prepping one breakfast each week when you're first starting out. If you're more comfortable meal prepping, you can prep another recipe or two so you can make sure your freezer is always stocked with a healthy breakfast.
For best results, I recommend slightly undercooking your eggs when prepping so that they don't become overheated when you microwave throughout the week. Eggs are excellent for meal prepping as they retain most of their texture and taste.
I love adding potatoes to breakfast bowls! Dice them up, season with olive oil, salt and pepper, then roast them in an oven at 430 F for 30 minutes. Once they're cooked, you can store them in the fridge for up to 5 days or freeze them for up to 3 months. You can microwave them for a few minutes when you're ready to eat.
35+ Healthy Breakfast Meal Prep Ideas
- 6 English muffins
- 6 eggs
- 6 turkey or pork bacon slices
- 6 cheddar cheese slices
- Cook turkey or pork bacon in a medium-sized pan over med-high heat, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and wipe clean, then add 1 tbsp butter to the pan. Start to toast the English muffins in a toaster.
- Meanwhile, whisk eggs together with salt & pepper to taste in a large bowl. Add to pan with melted butter and scramble for 1 minute or so before removing from heat.
- Add eggs, bacon and cheddar cheese slices to toasted English muffins in that order. Serve and enjoy!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks