This is the easiest Acai Bowl recipe! All you need is acai powder, frozen blueberries, banana, Greek yogurt for protein and honey!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Acai powder – you could use acai puree, but acai powder tastes just as good.
- Frozen blueberries – frozen strawberries are also delicious.
- Blackberries – if you’re not a fan of blackberries, swap for your other favourite berries or fruits.
- Frozen banana – applesauce, dates and frozen mango will all give it the same creamy texture.
- Greek yogurt – for a dairy-free alternative, swap for almond milk or soy milk.
- Honey – maple syrup will also sweeten it up and agave syrup is a great vegan alternative.
How to make an acai bowl
Step 1: Prep your ingredients.
Put sliced banana in the freezer for at least 4 hours until frozen. You can buy frozen bananas as well. If you want your acai bowl to be very thick and creamy, put the Greek yogurt in the freezer for at least half an hour as well.
Step 2: Add the blueberries and banana.
Step 3: Add the blackberries and Greek yogurt.
Step 4: Drizzle with honey and acai powder.
Step 5: Blend until smooth.
Pulse on low power until it begins to blend together. You may need to unplug the blender and stir with a spoon a few times until it's totally smooth and well blended.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy!
When you've reached your desired consistency, add the smoothie to a large bowl and garnish with your toppings of choice, then serve and enjoy!
tips & tricks for acai bowls
Here are my top tips and tricks for getting the best acai bowl every time:
- Use ripe bananas: Make sure your bananas are ripe before freezing them. This will ensure they're as sweet as possible, so you won't need to add any extra sweetener.
- Don't skip the yogurt: The Greek yogurt will make your bowl super creamy, in addition to adding a boost of protein to your breakfast.
- Add your favourite toppings: Customize your acai bowl by adding on toppings like homemade granola, fresh fruit, nut butter, chia seeds, shredded coconut and more.
- Take your time with blending: To get that thick and creamy consistency, make sure you blend on low power and take things slowly so you don't over blend your acai bowl. You might need to stop occasionally to stir the mixture or use your blender's tamper if it comes with one.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you want to make this recipe vegan, all you have to do is swap out the Greek yogurt for a dairy-free substitute of your choice like vegan yogurt, almond milk or soy milk.
You can normally find acai powder at your local health food store or online on Amazon.
You can store your acai bowls in the fridge for a few days after blending, but they won't have the same consistency as they do right after blending. They'll be a lot more liquidy and have the consistency of a traditional smoothie. If you want to meal prep your acai bowls, the best bet is to freeze them. All you have to do is let them thaw for 10 to 20 minutes then dig in.
If you're not a fan of banana, you can swap it out for frozen mango, applesauce or dates to get that same creamy texture.
Storing this recipe
Make sure to store your acai bowls in glass containers, as they seal better and prevent any air from getting in. If you're meal prepping this healthy acai bowl, keep in mind that the texture will change as the ingredients will no longer be frozen. It'll still taste just as good but will have a consistency that's more like a traditional smoothie than a thicker smoothie bowl.
Can you freeze acai bowls?
Not only is this easy acai bowl recipe super healthy, but it’s easy to meal prep and freeze too. After you’ve blended all your ingredients, freeze the mixture in an air-tight glass container for up to 3 months. Take it out and let it thaw at room temperature for 10-20 minutes before adding your toppings.
You can also pre-assemble the acai bowls by freezing the fruit and berries in Ziploc bags and storing your pre-cut toppings in the fridge for up to a week. Add the Greek yogurt and acai powder to your frozen ingredients, blend, sprinkle on the toppings and dig in.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Easiest Healthy Acai Bowl Recipe
- 1/4 cup acai powder
- 3/4 cup frozen blueberries
- 6 blackberries
- 1 frozen banana
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 tsp honey (optional)
- mango slices
- kiwi slices
- shredded coconut
- hemp hearts
- chia seeds
- Put sliced banana in the freezer for at least 4 hours until frozen. You can buy frozen bananas as well. If you want your acai bowl to be very thick and creamy, put the Greek yogurt in the freezer for at least half an hour as well.
- Add blueberries, banana, blackberries, Greek yogurt, honey and acai powder to a high speed blender. Pulse on low power until it begins to blend together. You may need to unplug the blender and stir with a spoon a few times until it's totally smooth and well blended.
- When you've reached your desired consistency, add the smoothie to a large bowl and garnish with your toppings of choice, then serve and enjoy!