These Freezer-Friendly Mini Breakfast Pizzas are the perfect grab and go breakfast. Pop one in the microwave and enjoy on-the-go!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – Any healthy, neutral flavor of cooking oil can be used. Avocado and grapeseed are good choices.
- Breakfast sausages – I use the Lilydale brand turkey sausages to lower the overall saturated fat and calories in this dish but regular breakfast sausage will work.
- Eggs – If you are watching your cholesterol, you can omit the yolks and just use egg whites.
- English muffins – For a healthier option, use whole wheat English muffins or a low carb flatbread.
- Pizza sauce – I usually buy it, but feel free to use homemade pizza sauce, or even jarred pasta sauce will work (they are basically the same thing)
- Shredded cheese – Use your favorite variety! Cheddar, mozzarella, and provolone are all great choices.
- Diced bell peppers – I like to use a combination of red and yellow peppers. It brings some extra color to the breakfast pizzas. Feel free to use just one colour, however.
- Green onions (scallions) – If you don't care for scallions, fresh chives would be delicious, or you can leave the onions out altogether.
More topping ideas
This is the perfect time to use up the leftover bits and pieces in your crisper drawer. Toss on any veggies and/or meats that are begging to be used before they spoil.
You can use anything you like for a protein, just be sure to fully cook it first.
- Other cooked protein ideas: bacon, diced chicken breast, ham, turkey, etc. This would be a great time to use up any leftovers in the fridge
- Diced tomatoes
- Pickled jalapenos or banana peppers
- Baby spinach, kale or arugula
Storing and reheating
If you plan to use them within 3-4 days, you can store your pizzas in an airtight container in your refrigerator. If you want to keep them for longer, you should freeze them (see freezing directions below).
Reheating is a snap! If you have a microwave or toaster oven, just a few minutes of cook time should be enough to heat them through. Using the toaster oven will keep the English muffins from becoming too soggy.
Or, place the pizzas onto a baking sheet and reheat them in a 350 F. oven for 10 minutes or so.
Freezing the Pizzas
To freeze, wrap each one individually in plastic wrap, then store the wrapped pizzas together in a large Ziploc freezer bag. Just be sure that the breakfast pizzas are cool before you wrap them. Otherwise, the plastic might melt onto your food.
Reheating the pizzas from frozen
Using the defrost setting on your microwave to reheat the pizzas helps to prevent them from becoming soggy. If your microwave doesn't have a defrost setting, just reduce the power to 40 percent.
Defrost them in the microwave for approximately 3 to 4 minutes, or until they are heated through.
More meal prep breakfast ideas
Meal prep tools
- Order some reusable ziptop freezer bags online
- And of course, I get all my free-range and grass-fed meats from Butcher Box (including bacon!)
Mini Breakfast Pizzas
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 package breakfast sausages (I used the Lilydale turkey sausages)
- 3 eggs
- 6 English muffins
- 1 cup pizza sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheese
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow pepper, diced
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Preheat oven to 375 F.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over med-high heat. Add breakfast sausages, cooking for about 8-10 minutes until fully cooked inside. Remove from heat.
- Slice English muffins in half, then top with pizza sauce and shredded cheese. Add peppers and sliced sausages. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile mix eggs together, seasoning with salt & pepper, in a medium-sized bowl. Add a bit of butter or olive oil to the same pan the sausage was cooked in, then scramble eggs for a minute or so until cooked and remove from pan.
- Remove pizzas from oven and top with scrambled eggs and green onions. Serve and enjoy!
- TO FREEZE: wrap in plastic wrap and store each wrapped pizza in a large ziptop bag. Defrost in the microwave for approx. 3-4 min until heated through. You can also reheat in a 350 F oven for 15 min.