These Chocolate Avocado Overnight Oats Jars are so delicious and easy, you'll think that you're eating dessert for breakfast!
How to make this recipe
Mash avocado and then mix all ingredients together (except for garnishes).
Divide among four jars and top with pistachios, shredded coconut and chocolate chips (all garnishes are optional and can be substituted for your preferred mix-ins)
Let the oatmeal sit for at least 2-3 hours before serving and enjoying! Let sit overnight for best results.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Rolled oats – steel cut oats, old fashioned oats and rolled oats are all great substitutions. Don't use quick oats for this recipe as they will get soggy overnight.
- Milk – use your preferred milk of choice for this recipe. If you're looking for a non-dairy version use your favourite non-dairy milk (coconut milk, oat milk, almond milk, etc.)
- Greek yogurt – for a vegan alternative replace the greek yogurt with an additional 3/4 cup of non-dairy milk.
- Avocado – the avocado adds creaminess to the recipe. If you must replace it use a banana. Just be aware that replacing the avocado will affect the nutrition facts.
- Cocoa powder – unsweetened or sweetened cocoa powder will work great, if you’re in a pinch feel free to use hot chocolate powder (sparingly or it will be too sweet).
- Honey – maple syrup, agave syrup or coconut nectar are great alternatives to honey for this recipe.
- Chia seeds – hemp hearts or sunflower seeds are great alternatives as they will add the texture and crunch that chia seeds provides.
Garnishes (optional – see below for more options)
- Pistachios (optional)
- Shredded coconut (optional)
- Chocolate chips (optional)
More mix ins
The best part about overnight oats is that they're so versatile! You can customize your oats to your personal flavour palette with just about anything! If you need some inspiration, here are some topping & mix in options:
- Coconut flakes (sweetened or unsweetened)
- Hemp hearts, chia seeds or sunflower seeds
- Chocolate chips or cacao nibs
- Fresh fruit (ex: strawberry, blueberry, raspberries, etc.)
- Dried fruit (ex: goji berries, dried apricots, dried cranberries, etc.)
- Peanut butter, almond butter, etc.
- Mix in protein powder for a protein-packed dish
Storing and serving
Storing your oats is easy since they're already packed into individual servings! Place your jars in the fridge overnight, or if you're impatient like me, store for two hours minimum. Overnight oats are a weekly breakfast solution since they store in the fridge for up to five days!
When you're ready to enjoy your oats, just take your mason jar out of the fridge and enjoy it cold. If you like to eat your oats warm, put the mason jar in the microwave for up to 1 minute or until warmed and then enjoy straight from the mason jar!
More overnight oats recipes
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Meal prep tools
- Here are the glass meal prep bowls I use.
- If you're looking for vegan protein sources you can get some hemp hearts here
- Store your oatmeal in the fridge or freezer in mason jars.
- I love these steel cut oats in case you're looking to stock up!
Chocolate Avocado Overnight Oats
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 2 cups milk of choice (dairy, almond or coconut milk, etc)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt (vegan option: get rid of yogurt and add 3/4 cup more of non-dairy milk)
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- Pistachios, shredded coconut and chocolate chips for garnish
- Mash avocado and mix all ingredients together except for garnishes.
- Divide among four jars and top with pistachios, shredded coconut and chocolate chips (all optional garnishes but makes it taste super yummy!)
- Let sit at least 2-3 hours before serving and enjoying!