These Pesto Bagel Breakfast Sandwiches are loaded with eggs, bacon, arugula, sundried tomatoes, avocado and pesto in an everything bagel!
How to make this recipe
- Warm butter to a hot pan then add four whisked eggs. Cook the eggs and then remove, cutting into four pieces.
- Wipe pan clean and cook bacon until prepared to your preference.
- Toast bagels and prepare toppings.
- Blend pesto ingredients in a Magic Bullet or food processor or use store bought pesto. Add approximately 1 tbsp pesto to each bagel, spreading evenly.
- Add eggs, bacon, avocado, sun-dried tomatoes and arugula to all bagels.
- Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Butter – use cooking oil, cooking oil spray or bacon fat to replace the butter in this recipe
- Eggs – large white eggs are recommended but use any egg or egg substitute of your choice.
- Turkey bacon – turkey bacon is the leaner option but regular bacon will work well in this recipe.
- Arugula – spinach or another leafy green can be used in this recipe
- Sun-dried tomatoes – fresh tomatoes or roasted red peppers can be used in place of sun-dried tomatoes
- Avocado – freshly sliced avocados or a guacamole will both work. If you’re not a fan of avocado, replace it with a veggie of your choice.
- Everything bagels – any type of bagel, english muffin, or breakfast bun will work for this recipe.
Quick Pesto (store-bought pesto will also work)
- Basil – leafy greens, spinach, watercress or herbs such as cilantro or mint can be used to substitute
- Olive oil – olive oil is what is traditionally used but it can be replaced with any neutral oil of your choice.
- Garlic – use fresh or jarred minced garlic
- Parmesan cheese – asiago cheese or pecorino romano are great alternatives.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
Storing and reheating
These breakfast sandwiches make for a great meal prep recipe! It can be really hard to spend time in the morning making breakfast, so having it ready to grab and go is a life saver. To store, keep your breakfast sandwich in an airtight meal prep container. Once stored, these breakfast sandwiches will last in the fridge up to 5 days – that's a whole week of breakfast ready for you! To reheat, microwave for a couple of minutes, or toast them in the oven for 10-15 minutes in a 350 F oven so they stay crispy.
Freezing the breakfast sandwiches
If you want to prepare breakfast sandwiches further in advanced, you're in luck! This recipe is freezer friendly. In order to freeze these breakfast sandwiches, let them cool completely once cooked and then wrap them tightly in plastic wrap. They will last for around two months in the freezer. This is perfect to have on hand on days that you're running behind on schedule.
These frozen breakfast sandwiches can be thawed overnight in the refrigerator. If you're in a rush, or forgot to thaw them the night before, you can reheat the sandwiches directly from the freezer. Microwave them for a minute wrapped in a dry paper towel. Flip the entire sandwich over and continue to heat it until it is completely hot. If you have more time, I recommend warming them in the microwave while you're getting ready for 8-10 minutes at 400 degrees Farenheit.
More breakfast sandwich recipes
Meal prep tools
- These Non-Stick Egg Rings are perfect round eggs!
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing these breakfast sandwiches as grab & go breakfasts.
Pesto Bagel Breakfast Sandwiches
- 1 tbsp butter
- 4 eggs
- 4 slices turkey bacon
- 1 cup Arugula
- 2 tbsp sundried tomatoes
- 1/2 avocado
- 4 everything bagels
- 2 cups basil
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/3 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- In a large frying pan, heat butter on med-low heat. In a large bowl, whisk eggs together well. Add eggs to pan, and cook for 4-5 minutes, using a spatula to gently lift edges of egg. Flip egg over and remove from heat. Cut into four pieces.
- Wipe pan clean and cook bacon on med-high heat until desired doneness. You can use turkey or pork bacon here - your choice!
- Meanwhile, lightly toast bagels and prepare toppings. Blend pesto ingredients in a Magic Bullet or food processor or use store bought pesto to make the sandwiches faster.
- Add approximately 1 tbsp pesto to each bagel, spreading evenly. Add eggs, bacon, avocado, sundried tomatoes and arugula to all bagels. Serve and enjoy!