Easy Healthy Appetizers for the Holidays
Healthy appetizers are not always easy to find at holiday parties. Ring in Christmas and New Years Ever with a few of these easy healthier appetizer recipes!
Christmas appetizer ideas
I get it. Making healthy eating choices at a party is rough at times. Delicious food, wine and bubbly cocktails flow like a waterfall, yet there are no healthy appetizers in sight.
The goal is to enjoy the celebration while preventing the zipper on your little black dress from busting open. No need to worry, I'm here to help!
What are healthy appetizers?
Browse the recipes below and you will see that healthy appetizers are flavourful, yet packed with nutrition. Generally speaking, the best healthy holiday appetizers are lower in starchy carbs, saturated fats and calories. They also contain some protein to help fill you up a little bit so that you don't feel the need to over-indulge.
Charcuterie boards with more wholesome ingredients along with healthy flatbreads and meatballs tend to be super easy options but dips and bite-sized options can be filled with healthy ingredients that your guests will love so hopefully you find some inspiration in this list below!
How to choose easy appetizers
The easiest appetizers to make from this list are likely the dips, flatbreads and boards. The little finger foods such as the stuffed mushrooms and stuffed potatoes take a little more time, so be sure to take a look at your calendar and see what you have time for. There's nothing worse than being stressed out as your gathering approaches!
Many of these healthy appetizer recipes are gluten free, paleo, low carb, and/or vegan. If you are on a restricted diet, be sure to click the links to see the recipe and nutritional information and be sure to enjoy what you're eating this holiday season while knowing you're also eating a bit better!
Here are some delicious dip ideas to get you started – serve with chips (potato or tortilla), naan, pita bread, veggies and more for a healthier spin.
- Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Asiago Brussels Sprouts and Kale Dip
- Blackened Shrimp with Avocado Ranch Dip
- Healthy Red Pepper Crab Dip
- Mexican Dips 4 Ways
- Buffalo Chicken Salsa Dips
Platters & Flatbreads
Platters such as meat and cheese boards are super easy to throw together, and you can also put together marinated olives and other antipasto. Similarly, flatbreads and pizzas allow you to customize toppings so there's something for everyone!
- Protein-Packed Healthy Charcuterie Board
- Roasted Vegetable Flatbread
- Marinated Artichoke and Olive Appetizer
- Steak Gorgonzola Flatbread
Hand-held and bites
These hand held ideas are so cute and perfect for people to casually grab. The following ideas are filled with protein and healthy ingredients as vessels instead of your typical crostini.
- Crab Stuffed Mushrooms
- Steak Arugula Salad Bites
- Tex Mex Zucchini Boat Bites
- Mini Grilled Cheese Sandwiches
- Crustless Mini Quiches
- Mexican Vegan Falafel Bites
- Garlic Parmesan Popcorn
- Open Faced Samosa Bites
- Party-Friendly Mini Pizza Bites
- Rosemary Thyme Balsamic Meatballs
- Easy Goat Cheese Appetizer
- Mini BLT Cups
- Fruit and Prosciutto Bites
- Roasted Grape Crostini with Goat Cheese and Walnuts
- Curried Avocado Egg Salad Phyllo Bites
- Goat Cheese Stuffed Potato Appetizers
And if you're still looking for ideas that are easy and unique, you'll be sure to find something in the general starter category!
- Spicy Shrimp Stacks
- Chicken Satay Lettuce Wraps
- Chimichurri Roasted Artichokes
- Skipjack Tuna Stack Appetizer
- Slow Cooker Raspberry Pork Stuffed Radicchio Cups
17 Healthy Appetizers for the Holidays