These Mini 5-Layer Buffalo Chicken Salsa Dip Jars are the perfect grab and go snack with refried beans, guacamole, sour cream and salsa!
How to make buffalo chicken salsa dip jars
These snack jars are relatively straightforward to make. You'll make all the layers separately, then you'll assemble them in a certain order – black beans on the bottom, buffalo chicken on top. Here are the full instructions:
- Saute chicken and buffalo wing sauce, cooking for 10 minutes until chicken is fully cooked, then set aside.
- Meanwhile, mash black beans with sour cream, chili powder, cheese, lime juice and salt, cooking for 4-5 minutes.
- Mash the avocado and add lime juice, garlic and salt, mixing well to combine.
- Add mashed black beans to the bottom of four mason jars, distributing evenly. Top each with a couple spoonfuls of guacamole, sour cream and salsa, then finally buffalo chicken. Garnish with sliced green onion.
- Serve with tortilla chips and/or veggies and enjoy!
Ingredients in buffalo chicken salsa dip jars
These buffalo chicken salsa dip jars are super easy to make and are a delicious work week snack! There are several components to these jars. Here's what you'll need:
Buffalo chicken layer:
- olive oil
- 1 chicken breast
- buffalo wing sauce
Black bean layer:
- 1 can black beans
- sour cream
- cheddar cheese
- chili powder
- lime juice
- 1 avocado
- lime juice
- Sour cream
- Green onions
Ingredient substitutions and notes
You can easily change up the layers of these jars to include what you have on hand at home. Feel free to skip a layer or add a new one – get creative!
Buffalo chicken – If you simply don't have time, just skip the chicken layer. It does add protein, but it's easier to skip it than to pan fry a chicken breast.
Black beans – You can use any type of legume here and mash with the seasonings, or you can use a black bean hummus or canned refried beans so you can skip the mashing and sautéing.
Guacamole – Skip the guac altogether or use an avocado hummus here. Even just mashing the avocado with some salt works here!
Salsa – Use your fave brand of store bought salsa. I prefer the fresh salsas you can find at your local grocery store (eg Garden Fresh Gourmet…and no I'm not being paid to endorse them lol, they are just my fave brand) but you can use a jarred version too.
Sour cream – Feel free to swap in Greek yogurt for the sour cream if you'd like!
Storing buffalo chicken salsa dip jars
You can store these jars in the fridge up to 5 days. No need to reheat, you can just pack them in your lunch with something to dip with and go from there. Optionally, you can dump the jars in a small bowl to access all the layers more easily. It's up to you!
What to serve alongside jars
Here are some serving suggestions for these jars:
- Carrots and celery
- Tortilla chips
- Naan or pita bread
- Snap peas
More mason jar recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- These are the mason jars I used in this recipe
- These colourful mason jar lids are so fun and perfect if you lose your lids
Mini Buffalo Chicken Salsa Dip Jars
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 chicken breast, diced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
Rest of ingredients
- 4 (8oz) mason jars
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat in a small frying pan. Add diced chicken and buffalo wing sauce, cooking for 10 minutes and stirring every now and then until chicken is well cooked. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat black beans over med-high heat. Add sour cream, chili powder, cheese, lime juice and salt. Mash black beans until well combined. Cook for 4-5 min, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado and add lime juice, garlic and salt, mixing well to combine.
- Add mashed black beans to the bottom of each mason jar, distributing evenly. Top each with a couple spoonfuls of guacamole, sour cream and salsa, then finally buffalo chicken. Garnish with sliced green onion. You can refrigerate these jars up to 5-7 days and they travel well. Serve with tortilla chips and/or veggies and enjoy!