These Mini 5-Layer Buffalo Chicken Dip Jars are the perfect grab and go snack with refried beans, guacamole, sour cream and salsa!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – or any other neutral cooking oil like avocado or canola oil.
- Chicken breasts – try using chicken thighs or leave the chicken out altogether for a veggie option.
- Buffalo wing sauce – use your favourite store-bought sauce. I personally like Frank’s Red Hot.
- Black beans – use any type of legume like kidney beans or brown beans.
- Sour cream – opt for a low-fat sour cream to cut down on the calories or even non-fat Greek yogurt.
- Cheddar cheese – swap out for your favourite shredded cheese like Tex Mex or Monterey Jack.
- Chili powder – a blend of paprika, cumin and cayenne will provide a similar flavour.
- Lime juice – freshly squeezed lime juice is best but bottled lime juice will work in a pinch.
- Salt – to taste.
- Avocado – skip the guac altogether or use an avocado hummus instead of guacamole.
- Lime juice – use fresh or bottled lime juice or leave this out altogether.
- Garlic – fresh minced garlic is best or you can use a bit of garlic salt and leave out the rest of the salt.
- Salt – to taste.
- Salsa – use your fave store-bought brand, either jarred or fresh (I like Garden Fresh Gourmet).
- Sour cream – swap in some non-fat Greek yogurt instead.
- Onion – red, white or yellow onion would all work here.
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
How to make buffalo chicken dip jars
- Cook the chicken.
- Make the refried beans.
- Mix together the guacamole.
- Assemble your jars.
- Serve with chips, veggies or pitas and enjoy!
What to eat with buffalo chicken dip
Obviously, you’ll need something to dunk in your dip jars! There are tons of options when it comes to what to eat with your buffalo chicken dip. Some of my favourite options include:
- Carrots and celery
- Tortilla chips
- Naan or pita bread
- Snap peas
Frequently Asked Questions
Buffalo dip is typically made up of shredded chicken, lots of cheese and buffalo wing sauce. For this recipe, I did a bit of a twist on the classic dip by adding in some more delicious layers and omitting the cream cheese for less calories.
The five layers in this dip are refried beans, guacamole, sour cream, salsa and buffalo chicken. Feel free to leave out any of the layers or swap out for another topping or dip of your choice!
This recipe has 278 calories per serving. Each serving is one jar will all favourite layers and doesn’t include what you dip in the jars.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Storing these jars
You can store these jars in the fridge for 5 to 7 days. No need to reheat, you can just pack them in your lunch with something to dip with and go from there. If you struggle with eating out of a mason jar, you can dump everything into a small bowl to access all the layers more easily before eating. It's up to you!
Can you freeze buffalo chicken dip?
Unfortunately, these dip jars won’t freeze well – but you can freeze the chicken for later. Store it in an airtight glass container or freezer-safe Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. The night before you want to make your dip, stick the chicken in the fridge overnight to thaw then use it the next day.
More mason jar recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- These are the mason jars I used in this recipe.
- These colourful mason jar lids are so fun and perfect if you lose your lids.
Mini 5-Layer Buffalo Chicken Dip Jars
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 chicken breast, diced into small pieces
- 1/4 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp sour cream
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp lime juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 2 tsp lime juice
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
Rest of ingredients
- 4 (8oz) mason jars
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 green onion, thinly sliced
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat in a small frying pan. Add diced chicken and buffalo wing sauce, cooking for 10 minutes and stirring every now and then until chicken is well cooked. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized saucepan, heat black beans over med-high heat. Add sour cream, chili powder, cheese, lime juice and salt. Mash black beans until well combined. Cook for 4-5 min, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, mash avocado and add lime juice, garlic and salt, mixing well to combine.
- Add mashed black beans to the bottom of each mason jar, distributing evenly. Top each with a couple spoonfuls of guacamole, sour cream and salsa, then finally buffalo chicken. Garnish with sliced green onion. You can refrigerate these jars up to 5-7 days and they travel well. Serve with tortilla chips and/or veggies and enjoy!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks
Comments & Reviews
Natasha @ Salt & Lavender says
Oooh I love this idea!! Those jars are so cute, and everyone seems to love buffalo chicken! Those crackers look good as well.