Be prepared for the ultimate appetizer idea: this copycat Mushrooms Neptune recipe inspired by The Keg Steakhouse has a cream cheese, crab and shrimp filling that's to die for!
What are Mushrooms Neptune?
Don't you wish you could make some of your favourite restaurant dishes from home? This week, I decided to recreate one of my favourite appetizers from The Keg Steakhouse, scouring the Internet for a close and easily re-creatable recipe.
After pulling a few different ones together and doing a lot of taste-testing (such a hard job, right?!), I think I have created the perfect creamy, indulgent Keg Mushrooms Neptune recipe to enjoy at home! These mushrooms are full of crab, shrimp, cream cheese, green onions and parmesan cheese for the best appetizer EVER!
You honestly don't even know how many times family and friends ask me to bring this Mushrooms Neptune dish to parties and gatherings. All you have to do is say you're bringing Mushrooms Neptune to a party and everyone's faces light up and they start licking their lips. Not even lying!
Making the mushrooms ahead of time
You wanna know the best part about this recipe?
You can make the cream cheese filling ahead of time and freeze it to use for another time. I've done this so many times and it's a great way to have a savoury, delicious snack at the last minute. Just imagine opening up the freezer and discovering that half the recipe's already done for you. It's a good feeling.
If you're making these for a party, you can also make the mushrooms ahead of time and reheat them in the oven by the time company comes. You can even just saute the mushrooms and store them to stuff later, or cook and stuff the mushrooms but wait to bake them until you're ready to serve fresh. There are so many ways to make these mushrooms ahead of time.
Ingredients in Mushrooms Neptune
So, let's get down to it. All you need is the following:
- Button mushrooms
- A gluttonous array of Swiss, parmesan and cream cheese
- Some crab and shrimp
- Green onions
- Lemon juice
How to make Mushrooms Neptune
Here's exactly how to make these crab-stuffed mushrooms step-by-step:
- First you'll saute the mushrooms so they are slightly soft, and preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Mix together all the cheese, lemon juice, salt & pepper, green onions, crab and shrimp in a large bowl.
- After you've prepared the cream cheese filling, pipe it into a large resealable bag (freeze or refrigerate it if you're making the mushrooms for later)
- Cut a hole in the bottom of the bag, then pump as much filling as your heart desires into each sautéed mushroom cap.
- Bake for 15 minutes, then broil for 5 minutes. Serve and enjoy!
Now be prepared to be the hero of your next party.
Trust me, as if I haven't said it enough yet, these Mushrooms Neptune are sure to become a hit at your next party!
Now if you're unsure of where to get the crabmeat, I usually buy the imitation crab at the seafood counter because it's more mild tasting without a strong seafood flavour and it's CHEAP. However, you can also get canned or frozen crab – that works too.
However, you could definitely splurge too and get the real deal, fresh crab – just make sure it's high quality if you're going to be paying that much. I also like to save time by buying my shrimp pre-cooked so all you have to do is mince it up alongside the crabmeat and green onions, but you can also boil raw shrimp for 2-3 minutes until just cooked and then cut it up once cooled.
Instead of green onions, you can also use chives. I don't recommend using anything other than the cream cheese for the filling because you do want it to hold together.
What to serve with Mushrooms Neptune
I prefer to serve these mushrooms neptune as an appetizer, but you can also serve them as a delicious side dish!
I am not even opposed to serving them alongside a steak just like they do at The Keg, but they also work great as a super yummy snack too (hello football season or movie night!)
Here are some ideas on what to serve with these stuffed mushrooms:
Storing and reheating leftover mushrooms
You can store these leftover mushrooms up to 5 days in the fridge in a resealable container. To reheat, simply microwave a plate of them for 2-3 minutes until heated through. You can also reheat in a 350 F oven for 15-20 minutes until heated through – this is my fave way to reheat because you really revive them like new this way.
More delicious appetizer recipes
If you're looking for more fun finger food recipes, here are a couple of my other favourites. For parties. Or, you know, casual snack time:
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on storing the mushroom leftovers
- Get some Ziploc bags then cut the end of one corner to pipe the filling into your mushrooms
The Keg Mushrooms Neptune Copycat
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 45 Button mushrooms
- 1 package cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Swiss cheese
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 cup finely chopped crabmeat I use the imitation crab meat in packages typically found at most fish counters
- 1/2 cup cooked shrimp finely chopped
- 4 green onions minced
- Preheat the oven to 400 F.
- Wash mushrooms, and remove stems very carefully. Heat olive oil in a large frying pan on med-high heat. Add mushroom caps, sprinkle with a tiny bit of salt, and sauté for 2 minutes each side until softened.
- Soften cream cheese in the microwave in a large bowl for about 15 seconds. Add cheeses, lemon juice, salt and pepper, crabmeat, shrimp and green onions, mixing well.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Add mushroom caps, and then spoon filling into mushroom caps, or pipe using a Ziploc bag with the corner cut off.
- Cook mushrooms in oven on the lowest oven rack for 15 minutes, then switch oven setting on to broil. Switch oven rack to the top setting and broil tops of the mushrooms for about 2-3 minutes until tops are lightly browned.
- Serve right away, or refrigerate for up to 24 hours and then reheat in 350 F oven for 15-20 minutes. Filling can also be frozen up to 3 months to refill fresh mushrooms with!
*Nutritional info is per mushroom