How to Make a Protein-Packed Healthy Charcuterie Board
This Protein-Packed Healthy Charcuterie Board is a delicious holiday appetizer idea with nutritionally-dense, low-calorie ingredients like hard-boiled eggs, lean-deli turkey, a variety of cheeses, pickles, hummus and more!
This post is sponsored by Burnbrae Farms and their EGGS2go! Hard Boiled Snack Packs. Thanks for supporting the brands I love – they help keep my blog up and running!
Today we’re doing something a little bit different here on the blog, since it’s the holiday season and all!
Anyone else OBSESSED with charcuterie boards here? Well, today I’ve put together a Protein-Packed Healthy Charcuterie Board for those of you who are trying to be more health-conscious this holiday season. It’s got a great selection of healthier, delicious treats so that you can still indulge during the holidays but not feel guilty after eating so many snacks.
This Protein-Packed Healthy Charcuterie Board is basically a snack and a meal all-in-one. I think the reason we tend to overeat during the holidays is because we don’t necessarily see snack food as filling, and I think we all overindulge because we fail to listen to our bodies. Of course, you’re going to be hungry at a holiday party, and you should dive in. BUT the right snacks can also be super filling and nourishing, and that’s the goal of this Protein-Packed Healthy Charcuterie Board.
Did I mention the entire thing can also be pulled together in 20 minutes or less?! Or that it’s mostly gluten-free and low carb? Umm yeah, it’ll be prettyyyyyy easy to stay on track with your health and fitness goals with this Protein-Packed Healthy Charcuterie Board. It’s pretty much the answer to all your holiday prayers.
When Burnbrae Farms asked me to partner with them for EGGS2go!, I immediately knew it was an amazing snack for the holiday season and a healthy charcuterie board is a no-brainer. How many times have you slaved over deviled eggs or a more elaborate appetizer during the craziest time of the year and felt like you would have rather been relaxing with friends and family?
Well, these boiled eggs are a convenient alternative to time-consuming appetizers that take forever to make. And they’ve got super fun new flavours like hot sauce, dill, salt & pepper and teriyaki! So many delicious food pairing options here!
EGGS2go! are high in protein, and have 13 essential vitamins and minerals so you can rest assured they’re a nutritious snack or addition to any meal – put ’em in your lunch box too once the holidays are over, they are just so convenient to take with you on-the-go! Look for them in the deli department of your local grocery store. And while you’re there, you may as well just pick up some ingredients to make this healthy charcuterie board…
But seriously, with the way things are going this year, I’m questioning how anyone has time to make a bunch of food for holiday entertaining. I’m STILL trying to cut down on the number of hours I work each week, and despite that I find myself starved for time and I’m sure many of you can relate. The holidays are super fun but they definitely fill up your schedule between gift shopping, holiday parties and just trying to work full time in general.
And being the holiday lover that I am, I still want to have fun and host my friends.So, a delicious charcuterie board is usually the solution to a busy, jam-packed schedule. Entertaining at its easiest (and in my opinion, most delicious) form!
I still try to find excuses to get together with my girlfriends to enjoy charcuterie boards throughout the year but there’s something magical about holiday ones – I’m kinda convinced that they are the reason people even agree to come over in the first place.
But as I’m getting older, I find myself more focused on trying to put together healthier charcuterie boards. Ones with less crackers and high calorie dips, and ones with more nutritionally dense options like fruit and veggies alongside high-protein ingredients that will keep me feeling full after eating.
Here’s the basic formula of the Protein-Packed Healthy Charcuterie Board:
- Step 1: Choose your meats – I like to go with a variety of lean proteins like EGGS2go! (for the non-meat eaters out there) and shaved smoked turkey, as well as unexpected choices like beef jerky, which is packed with protein. I added some beef salami here too
- Step 2: Choose your cheeses – usually a hard cheese alongside a soft cheese is sufficient, but I usually try and pick a third as a bonus (who doesn’t love cheese right?!)
- Step 3: Add in some fresh fruits and veg – celery, bell peppers and carrots are all obvious choices for veggies, and figs are a delicious seasonal option when choosing fruit, along with pomegranate and persimmons (plus, they are soooooo pretty)
- Step 4: Flavour boosters – Pickles, olives, fresh herbs and mixed nuts are all bonus flavour profiles for your board!
- Step 5: Add in some dips – I LOVE hummus, and with the different flavours available these days you can grab a couple different ones for variety; I also like to get a spicy antipasto but a roasted red pepper dip or even a spinach dip works too
- Step 6: ENJOY!!!
Will you be making this Protein-Packed Healthy Charcuterie Board?
I swear I kinda wanna make this charcuterie board just to eat for dinner alone one night. But I suppose it IS more fun to share now isn’t it?
How to Make a Protein-Packed Healthy Charcuterie Board
- 4 Burnbrae Farms EGGS2go! Hard Boiled Snack Packs (I used the hot sauce flavour)
- 1 package deli-style smoked turkey
- 1 package deli-style salami
- 1 package smoked cheddar cheese
- 1 package brie
- 1 container mini bocconcini cheese balls
- 1 package fresh basil
- 1 container Cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup mixed olives
- 1 jar pickles (cornichons)
- 1 persimmon, sliced
- 1 bunch grapes
- 1 pomegranate, cut open
- 2 celery stalks, julienned
- 1/2 each red and yellow pepper, julienned
- 1 zucchini, sliced on a diagonal
- 2 packages hummus (I got roasted garlic and beet flavours)
- 1 jar antipasto
- Assemble all ingredients on a large wood board with small bowls for the ingredients like olives, pickles and dips. Include cutlery for cheeses and arrange in a manner so that guests can pick and choose different snacks from the board. To make caprese bites, add cherry tomatoes, basil and bocconcini cheese on toothpicks and add to board. Serve and enjoy!