Steak and Arugula Salad Bites with parmesan cheese and honey dijon sauce are served on mini pitas – they're the perfect appetizer!
How to make this recipe
- Preheat grill and brush steak with olive oil on both sides. Season the steak with salt and pepper.
- Grill steak for 2-3 min on either side. The timing may depend on the thickness of the steak.
- Remove steak from the grill and slice against the grain.
- Prepare your honey dijon mustard.
- Toast mini pitas in oven and then top each mini pita with honey dijon sauce, arugula, thinly sliced red onion, 2-3 steak slices and shaved parmesan cheese.
- Serve and enjoy!
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
Ingredients and substitutions
- Mini pita pockets – in a pinch, a large cracker or mini naan bread will also work.
- Sirloin steak – rib eye steak and flank steak will also work for this recipe.
- Olive oil – replace olive oil with any neutral oil such as avocado oil, canola oil or grapeseed oil.
- Salt & pepper (to taste)
- Baby arugula – regular arugula or spinach would work well in place of baby arugula.
- Parmesan cheese – use shaved real parmesan for the best results.
- Red onion – feel free to leave this out altogether or use pickled red onions to make it less strong.
Honey Dijon dressing
- Honey – if you’re looking to make this dressing but don’t have honey, then you can use maple syrup as a substitute.
- Dijon mustard – stone ground mustard or regular mustard can be used in place of dijon, but it will alter the taste slightly.
Storing and reheating
If you have any leftovers, store the steak in an airtight meal prep containers and refrigerate. This steak will last in the fridge for up to 4-5 days. This dish is going to be leftovers you are going to look forward to! Store the pita pockets separately from the greens and simply assemble once ready to enjoy.
When ready to enjoy the steak and arugula bites, I recommend reheating the steak in the microwave with a damp paper towel on top. This will ensure the steak doesn't overcook or dry out. While you warm up the steak, toast the pita pockets and get ready to assemble your steak bites.
Freezing the steak
If you have a lot of extra steak on hand, feel free to freeze it for later! Make the full sirloin steak in advance and freeze it. To keep the steak as fresh as possible, store it with little to no air exposure. This makes sure that the steak doesn’t dry out or get exposed to freezer burn. To reuse the frozen steak, begin by defrosting it in the fridge overnight then heat in the microwave or using the reheating instructions listed above.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Meal prep tools
- Store leftover steak and arugula in these glass microwave-safe bowls
- Freeze the leftover steak in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
Steak and Arugula Salad Bites with Parmesan
- 24 mini pita pockets 2 packages
- 2 sirloin or rib eye steaks flank steak could work here too!
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shaved
- 1/2 large red onion thinly sliced
Honey Dijon dressing
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup Dijon mustard
- Preheat grill to med-high heat. Brush steak with olive oil on both sides, then season with salt and pepper.
- Once grill is preheated, grill steak for 2-3 min on either side, depending on thickness of steak and the way you like yours cooked.
- Remove steak from grill and let rest for 5-10 min before slicing against the grain.
- Meanwhile, mix together honey dijon sauce.
- Toast mini pitas in oven ahead of time for 4-5 min if desired, then top each mini pita with honey dijon sauce, arugula, thinly sliced red onion, 2-3 steak slices then shaved parmesan cheese.
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks
Leave A Reply!