This Easy Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip is perfect for holiday parties and game day! Just set it and forget it while it cooks all day.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken broth – vegetable broth is the best substitute here.
- Chicken breasts – chicken thighs or leftover rotisserie chicken would also work.
- Brick cream cheese – coconut milk or mayonnaise can be used for a dairy-free option.
- Sour cream – ranch or blue cheese dressing can be used in place of sour cream. For a healthier option, use plain Greek yogurt.
- Buffalo wing sauce – use a store-bought version or make your own.
- Melted butter – this will help cut the sauce. Feel free to swap it out for a vegan substitute of your choice.
- Blue cheese crumbles – cheddar or Monterey Jack would also be good.
- Green onions – top with diced chile peppers or cilantro instead.
- Tortilla chips – sliced pita bread would be yummy too.
- Carrots – try another veggie like bell peppers or broccoli.
- Celery – see substitution notes above.
How to make buffalo chicken dip in the crockpot
Step 1: Cook the chicken.
Add chicken and broth to slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours. Remove chicken to shred, and discard leftover broth. You can also boil chicken in broth for 18-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through, or use 2 cups leftover/rotisserie chicken.
Step 2: Microwave the cream cheese.
Microwave cream cheese for 2 minutes.
Step 3: Make the sauce.
Stir in sour cream, buffalo sauce and melted butter.
Step 4: Add the shredded chicken.
Stir in the shredded chicken.
Step 5: Cook on high.
Add to slow cooker, then cook on high for 2 hours.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy!
Top buffalo chicken dip with green onions and blue cheese, then serve with tortilla chips, celery and carrots and enjoy!
What do you eat buffalo chicken dip with?
For a party, this crockpot buffalo chicken dip will be a hit as an appetizer. If you are serving this as an appetizer or snack, you’ll want to serve it with things to dip into it. Any of these will work to give your snack table lots of variety:
- Pita chips
- Tortilla chips
- Bell peppers
For even tastier ideas, try some of these unique uses for buffalo chicken dip:
- In quesadillas
- Poured over French fries (similar to poutine)
- Stuffed in crescent rolls
- Use it to make a grilled cheese sandwich
- Mixed with pasta
- On potato skins
Frequently Asked Questions
This buffalo chicken dip is made of shredded chicken, cream cheese, sour cream, buffalo wing sauce, melted butter and blue cheese.
This recipe takes a total of 6 hours to cook in the crockpot. First, you’ll need to cook the chicken in the crockpot with the chicken broth for 4 hours on high. After you’ve shredded the cooked chicken and made the sauce, you’ll cook everything for another 2 hours on high.
If you find that your buffalo chicken dip is a bit greasy, it means the ingredients weren’t properly mixed together before cooking. Make sure you stir the sauce well before cooking it! You can try adding in some more cream cheese to make the sauce thicker.
Storing and reheating
Store any leftover buffalo chicken dip in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. To reheat, stick it in the microwave for 30-second increments until warmed through, stirring frequently. You can also reheat the entire dish in the slow cooker or in the oven at 350° Fahrenheit.
Can you freeze buffalo chicken dip?
Buffalo chicken dip freezes really well. You can freeze it in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw it in the refrigerator the night before you want to serve it then reheat it in the oven or the crockpot.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months.
Easy Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 (8 oz) brick cream cheese, cut into cubes
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/2 cup blue cheese crumbles
- 2 green onions, sliced
- Tortilla chips
- Add chicken and broth to slow cooker and cook on high for 4 hours. Remove chicken to shred, and discard leftover broth. You can also boil chicken in broth for 18-20 minutes until chicken is cooked through, or use 2 cups leftover/rotisserie chicken.
- Microwave cream cheese for 2 minutes. Stir in sour cream, buffalo sauce and melted butter, then stir in shredded chicken. Add to slow cooker, then cook on high for 2 hours.
- Top buffalo chicken dip with green onions and blue cheese, then serve with tortilla chips, celery and carrots and enjoy!