This White Cheddar Truffle Mac and Cheese is super creamy and made on the stovetop with truffle oil, white cheddar and Swiss cheese.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Butter – use a dairy-free substitute of your choice.
- Flour – I recommend regular flour but almond flour can be used for a gluten-free option.
- 2% milk – use whole milk or half the amount of heavy cream.
- Macaroni – or another small sized pasta of your choice.
- White cheddar – swap out for another kind of cheese like mozzarella, parmesan, goat cheese or any type of cheddar.
- Swiss cheese – see substitution notes above.
- Truffle oil – leave this out to make regular mac and cheese.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Broccoli – this is optional so feel free to leave it out altogether or serve this mac and cheese with another veggie of your choice.
How to make truffle mac and cheese
- Cook the macaroni.
- Steam the broccoli.
- Make the sauce.
- Stir in the pasta.
- Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with mac and cheese
I typically like to serve this mac and cheese as a side dish, as this recipe makes 8 servings. You can totally eat it as a main dish though! In this case, I'd say dividing the recipe into 6 main portions would suffice.
If you're serving this mac and cheese as a main dish, here are some options to serve alongside it. You’ll want a lighter vegetable side to go along with it to keep the calorie count low and add some nutrition.
- Side salad
- Roasted broccoli
- Steamed cauliflower
- Sauteed spinach
Frequently Asked Questions
Truffle mac and cheese is just regular macaroni and cheese with truffle oil added in to enhance the flavour! For this recipe, I used a combination of white cheddar and Swiss cheese, in addition to truffle oil.
Truffle mac and cheese tastes like your favourite mac and cheese dish with an added nutty flavour thanks to the truffles. It’s subtle but so delicious – you’ll want to add truffle oil to everything!
You can usually find truffle oil at your local grocery store in the oils section. You can sometimes also find it at stores like Marshalls or Home Sense in the edible gifts section. Or you can order some online off Amazon.
Storing and reheating
Store any leftovers (if you have any, HAH!) in glass containers in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can reheat it either in the microwave or on the stovetop.
If you’re reheating in the microwave, all you have to do is sprinkle some water over top then microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through. The water will keep the pasta from drying out – you can also add in some more milk before reheating to keep the creamy consistency.
If you’re reheating in a pot on the stovetop, add about ¼ to ½ cup more milk and stir constantly over medium heat. This is a good way to revive the dish if you're serving it to lots of guests.
Freezing this recipe
You can also freeze this mac and cheese! Freeze it in glass containers with lids for up to 3 months, then reheat from frozen for 7 to 8 minutes in the microwave. Be sure to sprinkle some water over top and stir once or twice halfway through the reheating time.
You can also reheat from frozen in the oven for 30-40 minutes at 375° Fahrenheit. Again, sprinkle some water over top and make sure you are using an oven safe container if you choose to reheat in the oven.
Want to Learn How to Meal Prep? Join Dinner Prep Pro!
Our meal planning service removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night thanks to our prep ahead checklists. It takes just one hour of ingredient prep on a Sunday!
More mac and cheese recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- I use 14 oz ramekins but you could also serve in bowls
- Order some truffle oil off Amazon.
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls to pack up individual servings of this mac and cheese
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
White Cheddar Truffle Mac and Cheese
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp flour
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 1 lb macaroni
- 1 1/2 cups aged white cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Swiss cheese
- 1 tsp truffle oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
Side dish idea: steamed broccoli
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
- Boil water in a large pot over high heat, then cook macaroni for 8-9 minutes until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- Meanwhile, fill a large bowl with water and add broccoli florets. Microwave for 8-10 minutes to steam broccoli side dish, then drain and set aside.
- In the same large pot you cooked the macaroni in, melt butter over medium heat. Add flour, whisking to combine well. Add milk 1 cup at a time, whisking vigorously to remove lumps and stirring until thickened.
- Add salt and pepper, cheeses and truffle oil, stirring well to combine. Stir in cooked pasta, then remove from heat. Serve with broccoli on the side if desired and enjoy!