These Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice Meal Prep Bowls come together in one pot – all you need is rice, chicken and frozen veggies!
How to make this recipe
Add butter, garlic, chicken, chicken broth, soy sauce and rice to Instant Pot in that order. Pressure cook for 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, microwave frozen vegetables in a large bowl for 5 minutes until de-frosted.
Add veggies and green onions into the Instant Pot, stirring well to combine.
Serve and enjoy.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Butter – butter keeps the rice fluffy, but is optional to the dish. If you want the same effect but would rather not use butter, then you can use olive oil.
- Garlic – you will want to use fresh or jarred minced garlic.
- Chicken breast – chicken breasts will also work in place of chicken breast and will probably be a juicier cut of meat.
- Chicken broth – use a vegetable broth in place of chicken if you’re in a pinch.
- Soy sauce – coconut aminos or tamari are great substitutes for soy sauce.
- Jasmine rice – use any rice that you prefer like basmati or brown rice. Using a different rice will alter the cook times.
- Frozen vegetables – use any frozen vegetable blend that you prefer.
- Green onions (to garnish)
Storing and reheating
This chicken fried rice will last in the fridge up to 5 days, making it the perfect meal prep recipe! All you have to do to store it in the fridge is transfer the rice from the Instant Pot to air tight containers once the rice has cooled down. I recommend storing the dish in individual servings in the fridge because it makes heating lunch that much easier!
To reheat the chicken fried rice, take your serving out of the fridge and heat straight from the container into the microwave for 1-2 minutes. Make sure to sprinkle some water over the rice to ensure that the dish doesn't dry out when reheating.
Freezing this dish
You can also freeze the chicken fried rice for a quick meal later in the month. The dish will last in the freezer for up to three months to ensure freshness. After the rice has cooled down completely, transfer it into airtight containers in individual portions.
When you're ready to enjoy your fried rice, defrost the chicken in the fridge overnight before reheating or reheat from frozen by sprinkling water overtop (to keep the rice from drying) and microwaving for 5-6 minutes. Pause the microwave halfway through and stir the dish. Serve and enjoy!
More Instant Pot dishes
Meal prep tools
- The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 is the version I use in this recipe.
- Grab some Glass meal prep bowls for your leftovers.
- And of course I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box!
Instant Pot Chicken Fried Rice
- 3 tbsp butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1 cup dry jasmine rice
- 1 bag mixed frozen vegetables (I used the Green Giant blend of carrots, corn and peas)
- 1 bunch green onions, sliced
- Add butter, garlic, chicken, chicken broth, soy sauce and rice to Instant Pot in that order. Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Do a quick release of the pressure and open lid when it is safe to do so.
- Meanwhile, microwave frozen vegetables in a large bowl for 5 minutes until de-frosted.
- Add veggies and green onions to rice in Instant Pot, stirring well to combine. Serve and enjoy - will last in the fridge up to 5 days.