This Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli with Rice is a takeout-inspired 30-minute dinner idea that comes together with pantry staples.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – use any neutral cooking oil like canola oil, avocado oil or grapeseed oil.
- Steak strips – steak strips are preferred but you can use any cut of beef that you have on hand. Note that this may alter the cooking time.
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic is best but jarred minced garlic or garlic powder would work too.
- Ginger – fresh grated ginger is preferred. Ground ginger powder will work in a pinch.
- Soy sauce – coconut aminos or tamari are the best substitutes for soy sauce.
- Hoisin sauce – garlic teriyaki sauce or oyster sauce can be used instead.
- Water – beef broth is a great and flavourful alternative to water.
- Jasmine rice – any white rice such as long grain rice or basmati can also be used. Keep in mind that different kinds of rice have different cooking times.
- Broccoli – use any vegetable of your choice.
- Red pepper – use any bell pepper or replace with another vegetable.
- Sesame seeds – to garnish. You can leave these off if you don’t have any on hand.
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
How to make beef and broccoli in the Instant Pot
Step 1: Cook rice and steak in Instant Pot.
Add olive oil, steak strips, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, water and rice to Instant Pot in that order. Gently press rice into the liquid so it's covered, but do not stir the entire mixture or you may cause the burn message. Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes.
Step 2: Steam broccoli.
Add broccoli to a large bowl of water and microwave for 8 minutes, then drain.
Step 3: Release pressure.
Do a quick release of the pressure and open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped.
Step 4: Add in vegetables.
Add in broccoli and red pepper, stirring gently to combine. Place lid back on Instant Pot and let sit for 5-10 minutes to let the red pepper cook. Serve with a bit of sesame seeds on top and enjoy!
How to tenderize the beef
The Instant Pot is a great way to ensure your steak turns out perfectly tender every time! If you want your steak to be even more tender, you could let it soak in a baking soda and water mixture for about 30 minutes before cooking.
Frequently Asked Questions
The beef and broccoli sauce for this recipe is made using pantry staples. It's made of soy sauce, garlic, ginger, hoisin sauce and water! If you want your Instant Pot beef and broccoli to be on the spicy side, try adding in a bit of sriracha or chili garlic sauce for extra heat. Make the sauce separately and store it in a container for two weeks or just dump all the ingredients right into the Instant Pot.
This Instant Pot beef and broccoli with rice is a healthier version of the popular takeout dish. Since it’s made with whole ingredients, you don’t have to worry about any added preservatives.
This beef and broccoli Instant Pot recipe has 495 calories per serving.
Storing and reheating
Leftovers of this Instant Pot beef and broccoli will last in the fridge for up to 5 days, making it a great meal prep recipe! Store individual servings in glass meal prep containers so that it’s easy to reheat. Just sprinkle some water over top of the beef to keep it from drying out and then microwave it for 1 to 2 minutes or until heated through. Easy-peasy!
Freezing this recipe
This delicious beef and broccoli Instant Pot recipe will freeze great, making it the perfect choice for lazy-day freezer dinners. Once cooled to room temperature, freeze the leftover beef and broccoli for up to 3 months. I recommend storing individual servings in glass meal prep containers for easy reheating.
When you’re ready to enjoy, defrost in the fridge overnight then reheat as normal. You can also reheat this dish right from frozen by sprinkling some water over top to and microwaving for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli with Rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb stir-fry steak strips
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 1/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 head Broccoli
- 1 red pepper, diced
- Sesame seeds for garnish
- Add olive oil, steak strips, garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin sauce, water and rice to Instant Pot in that order. Gently press rice into the liquid so it's covered, but do not stir the entire mixture or you may cause the burn message.
- Cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. Instant Pot will take about 10-15 minutes to come to pressure, then pressure cook the 4 minutes so overall cooking time is closer to 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add broccoli to a large bowl of water and microwave for 8 minutes, then drain.
- Do a quick release of the pressure and open the lid when pressure gauge has dropped.
- Add in broccoli and red pepper, stirring gently to combine. Place lid back on Instant Pot and let sit for 5-10 minutes to let the red pepper cook (it gets overcooked if you pressure cook it so we lightly cook it this way). Serve with a bit of sesame seeds on top and enjoy!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks