These Crispy Green Bean Fries are a delicious and healthy way to satisfy your french fry cravings – make them in the Air Fryer or the oven!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Green beans – fresh green beans are best but thawed frozen beans could work as long as they’re completely dried off before frying.
- Flour – chickpea flour or cornstarch would also help make these green beans crispy.
- Eggs – cornstarch or potato starch whisked with water is a great vegetarian substitution for dredging.
- Panko breadcrumbs – regular breadcrumbs, tempura flakes or matzo can be used instead.
- Parmesan cheese – use fresh grated Parmesan cheese for best results. If you’re vegetarian, make sure your brand of Parmesan cheese is vegetarian.
- Paprika – cayenne pepper, chili powder or chipotle chili powder are all great options.
- Garlic powder – garlic salt can be used sparingly. Be cautious of how much salt is added after if you use garlic salt.
- Cooking spray – any neutral cooking oil can be used. I use avocado but olive oil, canola oil, etc. can also be used.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
How to make green bean fries
- Assemble your ingredients.
- Mix together the dry ingredients.
- Trim the green beans.
- Coat the beans in the dry mixture.
- Air fry or bake in the oven.
- Serve with your favourite dip and enjoy!
Vegan mayo dip
You can dip these green bean fries in any dip of choice like ketchup, green goddess dip, ranch dressing, creamy garlic or sriracha mayo. All of these dips are delicious, but my favourite has to be my creamy vegan mayo dip! Here's how to make it:
- Add a quarter cup of unsweetened soy milk, half a cup of sunflower oil, one teaspoon of lemon juice, half a teaspoon of sea salt and two cloves of minced garlic to a blender or food processor.
- Blend together for a few seconds until whipped.
- Dip your green bean fries in them and enjoy!
The soy milk may seem strange, but it helps emulsify the dip into the whipped texture. Once you have your dip made, you're ready to dip your green bean fries and enjoy! You can jazz this dip up by adding your favourite herbs, hot sauces, spices, etc.
Frequently Asked Questions
It only takes about 10-15 minutes to air fry green beans at 400° Fahrenheit. Fry them for 5-7 minutes, toss them gently, then fry for another 5-7 minutes and you’re good to go.
Serve up your delicious green bean fries with a delicious dip! I make a delicious vegan mayo dip for these fries but feel free to serve with ketchup, hot sauce, roasted garlic dip or a Sriracha mayo. Besides eating these green beans as a snack on their own, you can pair them with another dish to make a full meal. They'll pair with virtually anything like your favourite sandwich, mac and cheese, grilled chicken and more.
These green bean fries are a low-carb alternative to your traditional fries. There are about 16 grams of carbs per serving.
Storing and reheating
On the off chance that you have any leftovers, you can store them in an airtight glass container in the fridge for up to 3 days. When you're ready to enjoy the fries, lay them on a single layer on a sheet pan and reheat in the oven at 425° Fahrenheit. Heat until they've crisped up again then serve and enjoy.
As for the dip, store it in a glass container in the fridge for up to a week and enjoy with your green bean fries or even as a sandwich spread!
Freezing this recipe
You can freeze these green bean fries before or after cooking them, but I find you’ll get best results by freezing them before cooking. After you’ve coated them in the panko mixture, place them in a single layer on a parchment-lined sheet pan and freeze for about an hour. Remove them from the pan and add them to an airtight glass container or freezer-safe Ziploc bags for up to 1 month!
When you’re ready to enjoy, air fry them directly from frozen or reheat them in the oven. If you let them thaw, they tend to get soggy.
More healthy fries recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- I own and love the Philips Digital Airfryer XXL.
- Store leftover green bean fries in these glass microwave-safe bowls.
- This avocado oil spray is my go-to for Air Fryer recipes.
Crispy Green Bean Fries
- 2 cups green beans, trimmed
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Cooking spray
- Salt & pepper, to taste
Air Fryer method
- Preheat Air Fryer to 400 degrees for 8 minutes. Meanwhile, mix together panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, paprika and garlic powder together in a large bowl. Add egg and whisk in another medium-sized bowl. Trim ends off green beans.
- Toss green beans in a large bowl with flour, then coat one handful at a time in egg mixture, followed by panko mixture. Transfer beans to Air Fryer, season generously with salt & pepper, spray with cooking spray then air fry for 5-7 minutes. Remove basket, tossing beans gently, then air fry another 5-7 minutes. Serve immediately and enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Meanwhile, mix together panko breadcrumbs, parmesan cheese, paprika and garlic powder together in a large bowl. Add egg and whisk in another medium-sized bowl. Trim ends off green beans.
- Toss green beans in a large bowl with flour, then coat one handful at a time in egg mixture, followed by panko mixture. Transfer beans to a parchment-linked baking sheet, season generously with salt & pepper, spray with cooking spray then bake for 12-15 minutes until coating is brown and crispy. Serve immediately and enjoy!