This Easy Instant Pot Pepper Steak is a delicious 30-minute dinner idea that is packed with bell peppers, onions, sirloin steak and a tasty soy-pepper sauce!
Ingredients in pepper steak
Ready for a quick 30 minute dinner idea that tastes just like takeout?
You're going to love this Easy Instant Pot Pepper Steak! Here's what you need to make it:
- 1 yellow onion
- sirloin steak
- soy sauce
- rice vinegar
- black pepper
- jasmine rice
- green and red pepper
- green onions & sesame seeds for garnish
This is a relatively versatile recipe so feel free to make some substitutions. Here are my suggestions:
Steak – I use sirloin steak but you can use 12oz of any type of steak.
Soy sauce – You can substitute tamari or coconut aminos to ensure this recipe is gluten-free.
Honey – You can use brown sugar instead.
Rice – I use jasmine rice. If you want to use plain long grain white rice instead, you will need to double the amount of water used.
Pepper – Double your black pepper if you'd like this pepper steak to be spicier!
Veggies – You can just use one type of bell pepper – I would caution against substituting the veggies as steaming them in the rice will cook each veggie differently. If adding broccoli, I suggest steaming it before stirring it in with the rice.
How to Make Pepper Steak
This pepper steak is so easy to make in the Instant Pot, and the rice cooks alongside it at the same time to make it a true dump dinner! Here's how to make it:
- Add all ingredients to the Instant Pot, gently pushing rice underneath liquid as much as possible – just make sure that you do NOT stir or you may risk getting the burn message.
- Cook ingredients on high pressure for 3 minutes, then do a quick release of the pressure (it will take about 15-20 minutes total from start to finish).
- Open the lid and stir in bell peppers, then replace the lid and let sit 5-10 minutes until the peppers soften. Serve garnished with green onion and sesame seeds, then enjoy!
Frequently asked questions
What is black pepper steak?
Black pepper steak apparently originated from a Fujian dish that was originally pork, but has since evolved into a Chinese-American style dish consisting of thinly sliced beef seasoned with soy sauce and loads of black pepper. The pepper gives the dish quite a kick but it's not super spicy.
How do you make steak tender?
In order to ensure tender steak, you can use a natural pressure release. It's also beneficial to marinate the steak in a mixture of cornstarch and baking soda (use 1 tsp of each) – this can make your meat more tender if that is a concern.
Why add veggies last?
One thing you've probably noticed is that I usually do a base of protein and starch to cook on high pressure, and I almost always wait until the end to add the veggies. I'm telling you, there's nothing more that I hate than overcooked, soggy bell peppers. So nasty!
I would rather my veggies get tender from sitting in the hot rice and sauce – you will most likely have a tiny bit of sauce leftover once this is all done cooking, but I promise once you stir in the onions and bell peppers you'll get the perfect balance of a saucy rice, and meat that actually ends up staying pretty tender.
Storing, reheating and freezing
You can store the leftovers of this recipe for up to 5 days in the fridge. To reheat, sprinkle a tiny bit of water overtop and microwave for 1-2 minutes.
You can also freeze this recipe in individual-sized servings for up to 3 months. Before microwaving, defrost the leftovers in the fridge overnight.
More Instant Pot recipes
Meal prep tools
- The Instant Pot DUO Plus 60 is the version I use in this recipe
- Grab some Glass meal prep bowls for your leftovers
- I get my grass-fed beef from Butcher Box
Easy Instant Pot Pepper Steak
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 12 oz sirloin steak, sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper (double it if you want it spicy!)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 3 green onions, chopped
- 1 tbsp Sesame seeds, for garnish
- Add olive oil, onions, steak, soy sauce, honey, rice vinegar, garlic, black pepper, water and jasmine rice to the Instant Pot in that order, gently pushing rice underneath the liquid as much as possible but not stirring.
- Cook on high pressure for 3 minutes. Instant Pot will take 10-15 minutes to preheat then the 3 minutes on high pressure. Do a quick release of the pressure. When safe to do so, open lid and stir in peppers, then replace lid and let sit 5-10 minutes until veggies soften.
- Serve garnished with green onion and sesame seeds. Enjoy!