This Hasselback Greek Chicken is baked in a lemon-oregano marinade, stuffed with bell peppers & zucchini then topped with feta – it's SO delicious!
Ingredients in Greek chicken
Say hello to colour and good vibes with this Baked Hasselback Greek Chicken!
Here's what you need to make it:
- olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano & salt
- chicken breasts
- red and yellow peppers, thinly sliced
- zucchini, thin slices cut in half
- feta cheese, crumbled
How to make hasselback Greek chicken
Here's how to make this delicious stuffed chicken:
- Make horizontal cuts across each chicken breast and place in a small oven-safe dish.
- Marinate chicken with olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and salt, tossing chicken breasts to coat. Marinate 15 minutes.
- While waiting for chicken to marinate, slice bell peppers and zucchini super thinly. Stuff in each chicken breast (you can do so while chicken is still marinating) and then bake for 30 minutes until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove from oven, top with feta cheese then serve with a side dish and enjoy!
Greek chicken marinade
For this Baked Hasselback Greek Chicken, I basically just used the basic Greek chicken marinade that I keep on hand for busy weeknights. It's so easy to throw together and uses mostly pantry staples so you don't have to worry about making a last minute trip to the store or anything.
It's basically just a mix of olive oil, lemon juice, minced garlic (fresh or the jarred kind works), oregano and a pinch of salt.
Easy right?! I swear, you'll be using this Greek chicken marinade on everything!
And I feel like you could also probably switch out the oregano for another fresh herb or spice like chili powder, paprika, cilantro or parsley. Sooooo basic but so good!
The hasselback chicken method
One thing you really do need to get right with hasselback chicken is making deep enough cuts.
Shallow cuts won't allow your chicken breasts to hold all the veggies, and since they're the star of the show, you need to be able to fit a bunch of them.
Don't overfill each cut, you just want one slice of each veggie in each cut.
You're also going to want to ensure that you're slicing the bell peppers and zucchini thin enough so that they can be stuffed inside the little cuts in the chicken. I tried to get 1/4-inch thickness on all the veggies and then stuffed them in there.
Don't worry if some of them are sticking out of the chicken a bit, as long as they are tucked inside and aren't falling out you're good to go!
There are a number of substitutions you can make with this recipe. Here's what I suggest:
Chicken – Though they may be harder to stuff, you can try using boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead of the breasts.
Veggies – I like the bell pepper and zucchini combo best (feel free to use any colour bell pepper), but you can use other Greek-inspired veggies/toppings such as kalamata olives, red onion or artichokes. Really, any veggie you can thinly slice will work here.
Oregano – If you have fresh oregano on hand, it really brings a new level of flavour to these chicken breasts.
Feta cheese – You can use any type of crumbly cheese such as cotija cheese or goat cheese instead of feta.
Side dish ideas
You can serve up just about any side dish with this chicken. Here are some ideas:
- Oven fries
- Potato wedges or roasted potatoes
- Roasted veggies such as broccoli or cauliflower
- Cauliflower rice or regular rice
- Garlic bread
- Greek salad
Storing and reheating
You can store leftover chicken breasts in the fridge up to 3-4 days. Sprinkle some water overtop to help the chicken retain its moisture and then reheat for 2 minutes in the microwave.
More hasselback chicken recipes
Tools to make this recipe
- You'll need a good knife set to get some good cuts in your chicken breasts
- Get your square glass meal prep bowls here
- And of course I get all my free-range chicken breasts from Butcher Box
Baked Hasselback Greek Chicken
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- 4 medium-sized chicken breasts
- 1/2 each red and yellow peppers, thinly sliced
- 1/2 zucchini, thin slices cut in half
- 2 tbsp feta cheese, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Make horizontal cuts across each chicken breast and place in a small oven-safe dish.
- Add olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, oregano and salt, tossing chicken breasts to coat. Marinate 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare veggies. Stuff in each chicken breast (you can do so while chicken is still marinating) and then bake for 30 minutes in the oven or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove from oven, top with feta cheese then serve with oven fries, baby potatoes, salad or some other sort of side dish and enjoy!