This Clean Eating Cabbage Soup recipe is packed full of antioxidants. It’s a nutrient-rich meal that’s perfect for a healthy diet!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – or another neutral cooking oil like avocado or canola oil.
- Green cabbage – any colour cabbage like red or purple cabbage will work.
- Celery stalks – try using chopped fennel instead.
- Yellow onion – white onion or shallots would also work.
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic is best but jarred minced garlic can be used in a pinch.
- Italian seasoning – make your own using a blend of oregano, basil and thyme.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Can diced tomatoes – you could also use a can of crushed tomatoes.
- Vegetable broth – chicken broth can be used instead.
- Frozen vegetables – use any frozen vegetable blend of your choice. I used a blend of carrots, corn, peas and beans.
- Parsley – chervil will provide a similar flavour or you can leave this off altogether.
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
How to make cabbage soup
- Sauté the veggies.
- Add everything to the pot.
- Bring to a boil and simmer.
- Serve and enjoy!
Why is cabbage soup good for weight loss?
This healthy soup recipe can certainly be part of a nutritionally balanced weight loss plan!
Cabbage is full of antioxidants, fibre and beta-carotene. Plus, it's a good source of both vitamins and minerals!
Just be sure to use veggies that are lower in carbs and calories, and avoid high sodium stock, which can cause water retention.
Frequently Asked Questions
When I make this diet cabbage soup recipe, I use one head of green cabbage, although I think red/purple cabbage would bring an extra pop of color to the soup. Even Napa cabbage would be delicious with this recipe!
The calories in this healthy cabbage soup will vary, depending on what ingredients you use. However, if you make it with the same ingredients I do, one serving will be around 106 calories. Oh, and one serving is one-sixth of the entire batch of soup, so this recipe makes a ton of soup. It's delicious and low in calories – what more could you ask for?!
The cabbage soup diet plan is designed for rapid weight loss. It is extremely low in calories. In fact, you consume so few calories that it's not something you will want to stay on permanently. Back in the late 1970's, when the plan first came out, cabbage soup was just about the only thing you would eat for the entire week. Other versions of the diet exist now. The most popular one consists of eating nothing but fruit and/or vegetables for the first 3 days. On day 4, skim milk is allowed, and on day 5, lean beef or chicken are allowed.
Storing and reheating
If you want to make this cabbage soup recipe to enjoy later, let it cool to room temperature then transfer it to an airtight container. It will keep in the fridge for up to 5 days.
You can reheat individual servings in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes. You could also reheat the entire batch in a pot on the stovetop.
Can you freeze cabbage soup?
To prepare this healthy cabbage soup as a freezer meal, transfer the cool soup to a freezer-safe container or in freezer bags. You can also add the leftovers to small glass bowls to make individual servings.
It will keep well in the freezer for up to 4 months. If in bowls, you can defrost and reheat right in the microwave up to 7 to 8 minutes, stirring partway through. You can also defrost it in the fridge overnight then reheat as normal.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
More healthy soup recipes
Meal Prep Tools
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this soup into leftovers.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months.
- **Get my full list of tools here**
Clean Eating Cabbage Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 head green cabbage, chopped
- 4 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, mined
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 (796mL) can diced tomatoes in their juices
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 (750g) bag mixed frozen vegetables
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped parsley (optional)
- Add olive oil to a large 6 or 8qt pot/Dutch oven, then add cabbage, celery and onion, sauteeing for 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for parsley, bringing to a boil and simmering for 20 minutes and stirring occasionally.
- Once soup is finished, stir in parsley (optional), then serve and enjoy!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks
Leave A Reply!