This Green Goddess Grilled Cheese Sandwich is a delicious and healthy lunch idea filled with yummy green veggies and two types of cheese!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Whole grain bread – use any type of bread you like or even tortillas to turn this sandwich into a wrap.
- Avocado – leave this out altogether if you don’t have any avocado on hand.
- Tomatillo – swap out for green tomato, red tomato or leave this out altogether.
- Havarti and mozzarella – white cheddar and Swiss would also be good but you can use any cheese of your choice.
- Baby spinach – other green veggies like thinly sliced asparagus or finely chopped broccoli would be good.
- Alfalfa sprouts – substitute for another green veggie of your choice.
- Butter – or your favourite dairy-free butter alternative like margarine.
- Pickles & ketchup – to serve. Feel free to swap out for your favourite dipping sauce and sides!
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
How to make this recipe
- Prepare your toppings.
- Assemble the sandwiches.
- Butter a large frying pan.
- Place the sandwiches in the pan.
- Cover with a fitting lid.
- Cook for 5 minutes per side.
- Serve with your favourite sides!
What type of cheese to use
When it comes to making the best healthy grilled cheese, you want a good quality cheese that melts well (not the overly processed American cheese slices). I personally find that white cheeses work best for this recipe but you can use whatever cheese you prefer.
Here are some of the best cheese types to use for this grilled cheese:
- White cheddar
- Monterey Jack
Frequently Asked Questions
This grilled cheese is definitely a healthier option than your typical white-bread and Kraft singles grilled cheese. It’s made with quality cheese, whole grain bread and lots of greens like spinach and alfalfa sprouts. If you want to make it even healthier, use a dairy-free butter substitute.
This healthy grilled cheese recipe has 495 calories per sandwich and is full of nutrients thanks to all the greens. It’s a delicious and healthy lunch idea!
This sandwich is super filling on its own, but if you’re looking for ideas for grilled cheese sides, I’d recommend sticking with lighter options like soup, salads or cut-up veggies.
Grilled cheese is good on its own, but grilled cheese with tons of delicious green veggies is even better! I love adding in avocado, green tomato, baby spinach and alfalfa sprouts to my healthy grilled cheese to take it to the next level.
There are a few reasons why your grilled cheese might be soggy. Make sure you let your bread develop a crispy side when frying it and let it sit for at least 3-5 minutes before flipping. I also suggest cooking it on a medium-low temperature – this will prevent it from burning but still make your bread nice and crispy. Plus, make sure you don’t overstuff your sandwich with fillings.
Storing and reheating
You likely won't have any leftover sandwiches as this healthy grilled cheese recipe only serves two, but if you do, you can store your extra sandwiches in the fridge for up to 3 days. The cheese will get a bit slimy if you try to keep them for any longer and the bread will get soggy, so make sure you eat your leftovers quickly.
That said, if you do have leftovers, you can reheat them in a skillet over medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes. Use the same method as when you cooked your grilled cheese for the first time, adding a lid to the skillet to melt the cheese. Frying on the stovetop will help to make the bread crispy again.
Freezing this recipe
Unfortunately, you cannot freeze grilled cheese sandwiches.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
More sandwich and wrap recipes
Meal Prep Tools
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls for the leftovers.
- Store any remaining cheese in a reusable silicone storage bag.
- **Get my full list of tools here**
Green Goddess Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1/2 avocado thinly sliced
- 1 tomatillo or green tomato thinly sliced
- 2 slices each havarti and mozzarella cheese
- Handful baby spinach
- Handful alfalfa sprouts
- 1 tbsp butter
- Pickles & ketchup to serve
- Place sliced avocado on top of each slice of bread. Top with 1 slice havarti cheese. Top with tomatillo, then 1 slice mozzarella cheese. Add spinach, then top with 2 more slices havarti. Finally, add sprouts and last 2 slices of mozzarella. Top with final slice of bread
- Meanwhile, butter a large frying pan and melt butter over low-medium heat.
- When butter is melted, place each sandwich in the pan, and cover with fitting lid.
- Cook for approx. 5 minutes per side and continue cooking and flipping until cheese is fully melted. Serve and enjoy with pickles and ketchup.
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks
Comments & Reviews
I love this sandwich! I’m hooked! I feel that it doesn’t need dipping sauce, it’s good just by itself. I used broccoli sprouts instead of alfalfa, it’s just what the store had available. Thanks for sharing this recipe ☺️ it’s so delicious!
Taylor Stinson says
I’m so happy you love it!