This easy Asparagus Soup is made with asparagus, potatoes, cream & parmesan cheese – it's a vibrant, silky soup you'll want to make again & again!
Ingredients in asparagus soup
This creamy soup is very easy to make and has a short ingredient list. Here's what you need to make it – full ingredient amounts are in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Yellow onion, diced
- Garlic, minced
- Lemon zest
- Salt and pepper
- Asparagus, chopped
- Yukon gold potatoes
- Chicken or vegetable broth
- Parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Heavy cream
How to make cream of asparagus soup
- Saute the veggies. In a large pot, melt butter over med-high heat. Saute onions, garlic, lemon zest, salt & pepper and asparagus for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Simmer. Add in potatoes and chicken broth, then bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook and prepare any toppings of choice such as bacon.
- Add the cheese. Remove the lid, then stir in the Parmesan cheese and heavy cream.
- Puree the soup. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup right in the pot.
- Blender option. If you don’t have an immersion blender, wait until the soup has cooled slightly. Then, blend in a blender and return the soup to the pot over medium-high heat to rewarm it.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with toppings of choice.
Ingredient substitutions and add-ins
Because this recipe is so simple, adjusting it too much will change the overall flavour. The following can easily be substituted, though, depending on what you have available:
- Butter – substitute a neutral cooking oil like olive, canola, or avocado
- Garlic – replace fresh cloves with 2 teaspoons minced
- Potatoes – red or baby potatoes can be used instead
- Broth – chicken or vegetable stock will work just as well
You can also add one or more of the following to add more flavour and texture:
- Finely chopped steamed asparagus – stir in just before serving
- Cooked white or brown rice
- Cauliflower rice
- Shredded cooked carrots
Making it vegan
With a few ingredient substitutions, you can make a vegan version of this creamy soup!
- Butter – replace with a vegan substitute or neutral cooking oil
- Broth – use vegetable broth or stock
- Heavy cream – substitute unsweetened almond milk, cashew cream, or vegan half and half
- Parmesan cheese – omit the cheese, or use a vegan alternative
How to blend the soup
With an immersion blender
Using an immersion blender is the easiest way to blend this sou., but a high speed blender also works well.
- Lower the blender into the pot and turn on, moving around to get all of the chunks.
- Continue until the soup is smooth. Make sure not to lift the immersion blender out of the liquid while it’s blending, or you’ll splatter hot soup everywhere.
With a blender or food processor
For this method, you’ll want to blend in batches. Also, let the soup cool slightly before blending, because steam creates pressure in the blender.
- Add some soup to the blender, filling it no more than halfway with liquid.
- Place the lid on the blender, minus the feeder cap. Alternatively, you can leave the lid off altogether.
- Place a kitchen towel over the top of the blender – this prevents splatters but also lets the steam escape safely.
- Blend on the lowest speed until smooth. Gradually increase the speed as needed.
- Repeat until all of the soup is blended.
If you have any leftover asparagus tips, you can add them on top of the soup for a pretty finish. Just sauté or boil them in salted water until tender-crisp. Or, try any of these other topping ideas:
- baguette slices
- crumbled bacon
- fresh parsley
- creme fraiche, sour cream or Greek yogurt
Creme fraiche is similar to sour cream, but with a higher fat content. It’s also thicker, richer, and slightly less tangy.
What to serve with this soup
You don’t need much to go with the asparagus soup recipe, especially if you add extra toppings. A side of crusty garlic bread would be delicious.
Or, pair a smaller serving of soup with one of the following for a full meal:
- Grilled sandwiches
- Stuffed portobello mushrooms
- Garden salad
Storing and reheating
Asparagus soup will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days. Let it cool before storing in airtight containers.
Reheat in the microwave or in a saucepan on low heat so the cream doesn’t curdle. I usually reheat with a paper towel overtop for 1-2 minutes in the microwave, stirring halfway through. Add any additional cheese or seasonings to taste after reheating.
Freezing this soup
Cream-based soups don’t freeze well, so you’ll need to freeze the soup before adding the heavy cream and parmesan cheese.
Simply skip that step and continue on with blending the soup. Then, let it cool completely before transferring to airtight containers. It will last in the freezer for up to 6 months.
Thaw in the refrigerator and reheat on the stove. Once warmed, stir in the heavy cream and parmesan cheese. Adjust the amounts based on how much you are reheating.
More easy soup recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this soup into leftovers
- Order an immersion blender online to make the soup creamy
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
Cream of Asparagus Soup
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 1 lb asparagus, chopped
- 3 Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- Baguette, sliced
- Bacon, crumbled
- Fresh parsley, chopped
- Creme fraiche, sour cream or Greek yogurt
- In a large pot, melt butter over med-high heat. Saute onions, garlic, lemon zest, salt & pepper and asparagus for 5-7 minutes until tender.
- Add in potatoes and chicken broth, then bring to a boil. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes. Meanwhile, cook and prepare any toppings of choice such as bacon.
- Remove lid, then stir in parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Blend with an immersion blender or wait until soup has cooled slightly and blend in a blender.
- Serve with toppings of choice and enjoy!