These Slow Cooker Honey Garlic Chicken Thighs are amazing! Cook hands-off in the crockpot and serve with broccoli and rice for a full meal.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Sunflower oil – use chili oil or a neutral cooking oil like olive or avocado oil.
- Soy sauce – coconut aminos or tamari are the best soy sauce substitutes.
- Honey – maple syrup or brown sugar would also be good here.
- Minced garlic – freshly minced garlic is best but jarred minced garlic can be used in a pinch.
- Sriracha – use any hot sauce of your choice or leave this out if you don’t like spice.
- Boneless skinless chicken thighs – you could also try making this recipe with boneless skinless chicken breasts.
- Broccoli – substitute for another veggie of your choice.
- White rice – serve this dish with brown rice or quinoa instead.
- Salt – to taste.
- Green onions – scallions would also be good.
- Sesame seeds – black or white sesame seeds can both be used.
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
How to make chicken thighs in the slow cooker
Step 1: Add the sauce ingredients.
Add sunflower oil, soy sauce, honey, water, garlic and sriracha to the slow cooker, mixing well.
Step 2: Toss the chicken in the sauce.
Toss chicken thighs in mixture, then cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.
Step 3: Make the rice.
Half an hour before cooking time is up, add water, rice and salt to a rice cooker or pot on the stove and cook until the liquid has absorbed.
Step 4: Steam the broccoli.
At the same time, microwave broccoli in a large bowl of water for 10 minutes, then drain.
Step 5: Garnish the chicken.
Serve chicken thighs on top of rice with broccoli on the side and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds if desired.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with slow cooker chicken thighs
One of my favourite things about these crockpot chicken thighs is how easy they are to make. All you have to do is dump everything in the slow cooker then set it and forget it! Since this is such an easy meal, I like keeping the sides pretty simple too, with some rice and steamed broccoli.
If you’re looking for more side dish ideas, here are some more options:
Frequently Asked Questions
When you’re making chicken thighs in a crock pot, there’s no need to brown them first. It’s perfectly safe to add them to the pot raw!
You can cook these crockpot chicken thighs either on low for 6 hours or on high for 3 hours – they’ll turn out delicious both ways. Cooking them on low might make them a bit more moist, but either method is fine.
Yes you can! These slow cooker chicken thighs don’t require any pre-cooking or browning, so you can add the raw chicken right into the pot.
Storing and reheating
These slow cooker chicken thighs are great for meal prep. You can store the leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days! I’d recommend storing the chicken with the sauce so it stays nice and moist. Make sure to keep the rice and broccoli separately for best results.
When you’re ready to enjoy, sprinkle a bit of water over top of the chicken and microwave for 1 to 2 minutes until heated through. You can even repurpose the chicken for other recipes like salads, sandwiches, wraps and more.
Freezing this recipe
If you make a big batch of these crockpot chicken thighs, you can freeze some for later. Once they’ve completely cooled, transfer the chicken thighs to glass bowls or freezer-safe Ziploc bags and freeze them for up to 3 months. All you have to do when you’re ready to use them is let them defrost in the fridge overnight, then reheat as normal. Easy-peasy!
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Meal Prep Tools
- Pick up a crock pot if you don't already have one to make this recipe!
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on storing the leftovers in the fridge.
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through.
- A rice cooker is invaluable for saving time, and it cooks other grains, too!
- **Get my full list of tools here**
Honey Garlic Slow Cooker Chicken Thighs
- 1 tbsp sunflower or chili oil
- 1/4 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 head broccoli chopped into florets
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 green onions sliced
- Sesame seeds
- Add sunflower oil, soy sauce, honey, garlic and sriracha to the slow cooker, mixing well. Toss chicken thighs in mixture, then cook on high for 3 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Half an hour before cooking time is up, add water, rice and salt to a rice cooker or pot on the stove and cook until the liquid has absorbed. At the same time, microwave broccoli in a large bowl of water for 10 minutes, then drain.
- Serve chicken thighs on top of rice with broccoli on the side and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds if desired. Enjoy!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks