These Big Mac Tater Tot Nachos are packed with special sauce, ground beef, pickles and cheese – a special indulgence and twist on a classic!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Tater tots – for a lower carb option feel free to use cauliflower tater tots in this recipe
- Olive oil – use any neutral oil such as avocado oil, sunflower oil or vegetable oil for this recipe.
- Ground beef – extra lean ground beef is recommended for that authentic Big Mac taste, but you can use ground turkey or ground chicken for a leaner meat option.
- Cheddar cheese – use any shredded cheese variety of your choice.
- Iceberg lettuce – romaine lettuce or a mixed greens lettuce can be used in place of iceberg lettuce.
- Tomatoes – plum, heirloom, cherry tomatoes or red vine tomatoes can be used in this recipe.
- Yellow onion – white onion or red onion also work as substitutions for yellow onion.
- Pickles – if you’re not a fan of pickles feel free to leave this out
- Mayo – substitute the mayonnaise with a vegan mayo if you need a dairy free alternative or substitute with greek yogurt or sour cream for a healthier alternative.
- Ketchup – if you’re in a pinch, substitute ketchup with tomato paste mixed with vinegar and sugar or a hot sauce for a tangier finish.
- Onions – use finely diced onions or if you're in a pinch leave them out altogether.
- Relish – use any variety of your liking, or dice up some pickles.
- Vinegar – white vinegar is the best option.
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
How to make tater tot nachos
- Cook the tater tots.
- Brown the ground beef.
- Make the special sauce.
- Top the tater tots with beef and cheese.
- Add on your toppings and drizzle with sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!
Topping ideas for tater tot nachos
I like to stick to classic Big Mac toppings for these tater tot nachos with shredded cheddar cheese, iceberg lettuce, diced tomatoes, onion, pickles and special sauce! That being said, feel free to add on any toppings of your choice and mix up the flavours. Here are some more yummy ideas:
- Shredded lettuce
- Pickled or sliced jalapenos
- Green onions
- Sour cream
Frequently Asked Questions
Nachos are served over a bed of tortilla chips, whereas Totchos (or tater tot nachos) are served over a bed of baked tater tots!
Baking the frozen tater tots in the oven for 22-25 minutes at 450° Fahrenheit should make them nice and crispy, but if you want them even crispier for this recipe, you can try cooking them in the air fryer.
The special sauce is the perfect finishing touch to this Big Mac tater tot casserole and tastes just like the McDonald’s sauce. All you need to make it is mayo, ketchup, diced onions, relish and vinegar. Easy-peasy!
Storing and reheating
If you plan on enjoying these tater tot nachos throughout the week, I’d recommend storing the tater tots and toppings separately in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can store everything together, but the tater tots might get a bit soggy.
When you’re ready to enjoy, reheat the tater tots in the oven or the air fryer, and reheat the ground beef in a pan on the stovetop. If you're in a rush to eat, you can also reheat it in the microwave for several minutes, but the tots won't crisp up again the way they would in the oven. Your call!
Freezing the ground beef
While you can’t refreeze frozen tater tots, you can cook the ground beef ahead of time and freeze it for up to 3 months in Ziploc bags or airtight containers. Let it defrost in the fridge overnight then use it to make your Big Mac tater tot casserole or any other dishes of your choice.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Big Mac Tater Tot Nachos
- 1 package tater tots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- iceberg lettuce
- 1-2 tomatoes diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 cup finely diced onions
- 2 tbsp relish
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Spread tater tots out in one layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 22-25 min, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large frying pan over med-high heat. Cook ground beef with salt and pepper to taste for 10-15 min, until beef is fully cooked. Set aside and prepare toppings.
- Prepare special sauce by mixing all ingredients together. Spoon into a plastic bag, then cut off the end of one of the corners.
- Remove tater tots from the oven and sprinkle cheese over top, then sprinkle ground beef. Put back in the oven for 5 min, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with all desired toppings, then drizzle sauce overtop. Serve and enjoy!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks