These Big Mac Tater Tot Nachos are packed with special sauce, ground beef, pickles and cheese – a special indulgence and twist on a classic!
How to make this recipe
After preheating the oven, spread tater tots out in one layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Once preheated then bake the tater tots for 22-25 minutes, flipping halfway through.
Heat olive oil in a large frying pan and cook ground beef with salt and pepper to taste until the beef is fully cooked. Set aside and prepare toppings.
Prepare special sauce by mixing all ingredients together. Spoon into a plastic bag, then cut off the end of one of the corners.
Remove tater tots from the oven and sprinkle cheese over top, then sprinkle ground beef. Put back in the oven until cheese is melted.
Remove from oven and top with all desired toppings, then drizzle sauce overtop. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Tater tots – for a lower carb option feel free to use cauliflower tater tots in this recipe
- Olive oil – use any neutral oil such as avocado oil, sunflower oil or vegetable oil for this recipe.
- Ground beef – extra lean ground beef is recommended to keep authentic to the taste of the Big Mac, but you can use ground turkey or ground chicken for a leaner meat option.
- Cheddar cheese – use any shredded cheese variety of your choice.
- Iceberg lettuce – romaine lettuce or a mixed greens lettuce can be used in place of Iceberg lettuce.
- Tomatoes – plum, heirloom, cherry tomatoes or red vine tomatoes can be used in this recipe.
- Yellow onion – white onion or red onion also work as substitutions for yellow onion.
- Pickles – if you’re not a fan of pickles feel free to leave this out
- Mayo – substitute the mayonnaise with a vegan mayo if you need a dairy free alternative or substitute with greek yogurt or sour cream for a healthier alternative.
- Ketchup – if you’re in a pinch, substitute ketchup with tomato paste mixed with vinegar and sugar or a hot sauce for a tangier finish
- Onions – use finely diced onions or if you're in a pinch leave them out altogether
- Relish – use any variety of your liking.
- Vinegar – white vinegar is the best option
Storing and reheating
Tater tots always seem to make a dish fun to eat all week long, so you can definitely store leftovers for lunch or dinner! Store in airtight containers in individual servings or altogether. When it's time to reheat, heat the leftovers in the oven until tater tots are crisped and the dish is warm. If you're in a rush to eat, you can also reheat it in the microwave for several minutes, but the tots won't crisp up again the way they would in the oven. Your call!
Freezing the beef
If you'd like you can also cook extra ground beef and freeze it ahead of time, go ahead! Just wrap it up and place it in an airtight, freezer safe container. To use the meat either transfer it to the fridge the night before to defrost or remove the ground beef from the freezer, add it to the dish, and follow the recipe as directed.
More nacho recipes
Meal prep tools
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this dish into leftovers
- I get all my grass-fed beef from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen.
- Freeze this recipe in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
Big Mac Tater Tot Nachos (Video!)
- 1 package tater tots
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- iceberg lettuce
- 1-2 tomatoes diced
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- 1 cup mayo
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1/4 cup finely diced onions
- 2 tbsp relish
- 1/2 tsp vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Spread tater tots out in one layer on a parchment lined baking sheet. Bake in the oven for 22-25 min, flipping halfway through.
- Meanwhile, heat olive oil in a large frying pan over med-high heat. Cook ground beef with salt and pepper to taste for 10-15 min, until beef is fully cooked. Set aside and prepare toppings.
- Prepare special sauce by mixing all ingredients together. Spoon into a plastic bag, then cut off the end of one of the corners.
- Remove tater tots from the oven and sprinkle cheese over top, then sprinkle ground beef. Put back in the oven for 5 min, until cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and top with all desired toppings, then drizzle sauce overtop. Serve and enjoy!