These Taco Bell Nacho Fries, aka fries supreme, are smothered in delicious nacho cheese, pico de gallo, ground beef and sour cream.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Extra-lean ground beef – feel free to substitute it for ground chicken, turkey or pork. Shredded rotisserie chicken would also be delicious on the fries.
- Taco seasoning – if you don't have any taco seasoning on hand, you can use a combination of chili powder and cumin.
- Spicy seasoned frozen French fries – if you are unable to find pre-seasoned fries, you can use plain fries.
- Pico de gallo – plain diced tomatoes or chunky salsa would also work.
- Scallions – use finely minced white or red onion instead.
- Sour cream – to cut the fat and calories, use low-fat sour cream or plain Greek yogurt.
Nacho cheese sauce
- Salted butter – you can use unsalted butter, but you’ll need to add some more salt to the sauce.
- Flour – or a gluten-free flour substitute of your choice to thicken the sauce.
- Pickled jalapeno peppers – leave these off if you don’t like spice.
- Chili powder – make your own using a blend of cumin, paprika and cayenne.
- Salt – to taste.
- Milk – any variety of dairy milk will work, but using milk with a high percentage of fat (like whole milk or even Half & Half) will create the best cheese sauce.
- Cheese slices – I use 10 slices of Kraft singles, but you could substitute them for 6 ounces of Velveeta or 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese.
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
How to make nacho fries
Step 1: Bake the fries.
Preheat oven to 450 F. Bake fries on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes per side or as directed on the package.
Step 2: Brown the ground beef.
Heat a large skillet over med-high heat. Saute ground beef with taco seasoning for 8-10 minutes until fully cooked. Set aside.
Step 3: Make the nacho cheese sauce.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour, pickled jalapenos, chili powder and salt. Whisk in milk, then bring to a boil, watching closely so it doesn't burn. Whisk in cheese and stir until fully melted. Remove from heat.
Step 4: Assemble your fries and dig in!
Once fries are done, remove from heat and top with cheese sauce, followed by ground beef, pico de gallo, chives and sour cream. Serve and enjoy!
Calories in Taco Bell nacho fries
Comparing the calorie count for a serving of this dish versus a serving of Taco Bell nacho fries was actually a little difficult to do, since they’re not currently on the menu. However, where I live in Canada we have Supreme Fries, which is basically the same thing as the US version called Nacho Fries.
One 227 gram serving of Fries Supreme has 520 calories. If you make it using the same brand of ingredients that I use, one serving of my fries has 486 calories. You are getting more food with my version, so you can rest easy knowing you're saving calories AND staying fuller for longer with a bigger serving size.
Frequently Asked Questions
Nachos fries are basically nachos but with fries instead of tortilla chips as the base. For this nacho fries Taco Bell recipe, I used a base of spicy fries with ground beef and nacho cheese sauce.
If you can't find seasoned spicy fries in the frozen foods aisle at your local grocery store, it won't be a problem. Just buy a bag of regular French fries. Then, before you bake them, toss them in a bit of homemade taco seasoning. Even just some chili powder and salt will be perfect! You’ll have some delicious homemade nacho fries in no time.
These Taco Bell nacho fries are gluten free as long as you use gluten free fries. Make sure to check the package to ensure that the frozen fries don’t contain any gluten.
Storing and reheating
If you think you may end up with leftovers of this nacho fries Taco Bell recipe, serve the fries at the table with each topping in a separate bowl. Not only will this make it easier to reheat everything later, but it also allows everyone to add whatever toppings to their fries that they like. That way, you can store any leftovers in separate containers for 4 to 5 days.
Reheat the fries in the oven for 15 minutes at 375° Fahrenheit, and the nacho cheese sauce in a pan on the stovetop over medium-low heat. To prevent the sauce from separating and/or scorching, it is best to warm it through slowly. Stir it every couple of minutes until it warms and thins out to a pourable consistency.
You can reheat the meat in a small skillet on the stovetop over medium-high heat, or in a microwave on 50% power for about 2-3 minutes. Another option is to simply spread the ground beef over the French fries and reheat them both in the oven.
Freezing this recipe
You can try freezing all the components of these Taco Bell nacho fries separately, but they’re best eaten fresh. The cheese sauce will likely separate as it reheats, so I wouldn’t recommend freezing it.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Taco Bell Nacho Fries
- 1 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 (650g) bag frozen fries spicy flavor
- 1/2 cup pico de gallo
- 1/4 cup chives or scallions, sliced
- 1/4 cup sour cream
Nacho cheese sauce
- 1 tbsp salted butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 2 pickled jalapeno peppers, minced (optional)
- 1 pinch chili powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 10 Kraft singles cheese slices or 3/4 cup cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 450 F. Bake fries on a parchment-lined baking sheet for 10-12 minutes per side or as directed on the package.
- Heat a large skillet over med-high heat. Saute ground beef with taco seasoning for 8-10 minutes until fully cooked. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat. Whisk in flour, pickled jalapenos, chili powder and salt. Whisk in milk, then bring to a boil, watching closely so it doesn't burn. Whisk in cheese and stir until fully melted. Remove from heat.
- Once fries are done, remove from heat and top with cheese sauce, followed by ground beef, pico de gallo, chives and sour cream. Serve and enjoy!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks