Cheesy Grilled Potatoes in Foil (Potato Nachos!)
These Cheesy Grilled Potatoes in Foil are like potato nachos made easy on the BBQ! Slice up your potatoes, toss them in a super simple seasoning, then top them with shredded cheese, bacon, black beans, corn, green onions and sour cream for a super fun summer meal!
Get ready for the ultimate summer meal with these Cheesy Grilled Potatoes in Foil!!!
Except on the BBQ.
Can life get any better?!!
I swear, life just feels easier in the summer and recipes like this only add to the ease and enjoyment of the best months of the year. I don't know about you but I'm sooooo sluggish in the winter. Doing anything feels like a chore, and even though I make the effort to get outside it's just a hassle throwing on all the layers and the boots and trudging back and forth to the store.
Like, I just wanna lay in my bed and eat all the things and hibernate.
But come summer, I'm outside every day, cocktails on the balcony, long summer runs in the evening…cooking actually becomes the last thing on my mind and that's when I turn to the BBQ to get something cooking quickly for dinner.
These Cheesy Grilled Potatoes in Foil are just one such meal you can whip up in a flash and not even have to worry or think too far in advance about dinner. These BBQ potatoes are loaded with healthy veggies and easy protein options so you can easily make these grilled potatoes a full dinner without having to put in too much effort.
And they really do go with the good vibes that summer brings, and they're perfect for entertaining!
All you need to do is decide what veggies you're gonna use, whip out a can of black beans from the pantry, add a little bacon (because that never hurts) and then grate up some cheese, or cheat and use the pre-grated kind like I do 😉
Add a little sour cream and salsa (and maybe even some queso?!!) to these Cheesy Grilled Potatoes in Foil and you've got a whole bunch of nachos ready and waiting for you and they're cooked within 20 minutes on the BBQ. So genius, I can't deal.
The most time-consuming part of this recipe is probably the cutting up and slicing of the potatoes, but I promise the seasoning is super simple and you probably already have everything on hand in your spice drawer. Just taco seasoning, garlic powder, a little salt and olive oil.
Toss together, then create little foil packets with a roll of tinfoil from your pantry.
I'll usually create two larger foil packs for these potato nachos because I find that one foil pack is too big and at risk of breaking, but creating more than two foil packs are kind of a pain in the ass.
I will admit that creating individual serving size packets is great for entertaining purposes though. Each person gets to load up their nachos individually – all you need to do is give people a fork so they can dig in. These Cheesy Grilled Potatoes are actually the perfect campfire foil packs that you can take with you when you're camping, so even if you don't have a BBQ you can still make these!
Now the final trick to these Cheesy Foil Pack Potatoes is getting the timing of everything right. If you're wanting to use bacon, I'll usually try and find some leftovers kicking around from a weekend brunch or fry some up a couple days in advance so it's easy to just grab veggies from the fridge and top these potatoes with them.
But sometimes I'll also make these potato nachos vegetarian because you're already getting a ton of protein from the cheese and black beans. The key to this recipe is keeping it simple and making it easy, because that's what summer is all about after all!
Will you be making these Cheesy Grilled Potatoes in Foil?
Cooking potatoes on the grill can seem daunting but it's super easy and barely takes any time at all. So get in the summer spirit: grab a couple drinks, throw your potatoes on the BBQ, get your toppings ready then kick back with this fun dinner idea. It's kinda like meal prep when you think about it!
This is the strong tin foil I use for these nachos in case you're wondering if you need a special kind!
Foil Pack Cheesy BBQ Potato Nachos
- 6 medium-sized red potatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch coins
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp taco seasoning
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- 8 slices turkey bacon, chopped (or regular bacon works)
- Black beans, rinsed and drained
- red pepper, diced
- Jalapeno peppers, sliced
- green onions, sliced
- Preheat BBQ to 500 degrees (high heat). Slice potatoes and rinse to remove starch. Dry off as best as possible with a clean towel or paper towel, then transfer to a large bowl and toss with olive oil, taco seasoning, garlic powder and salt.
- Create two little foil pack pouches and divide potatoes between the two. If everyone wants their own individual pack, create four packs and divide potatoes. I create two foil packs because one foil pack with that many potatoes is more likely to break, but I don't want the hassle of creating too many so I do two, but it's up to you and what you prefer. Once you have created pouches and added potatoes, place another foil sheet overtop and seal (see video if you're unsure how to do this)
- Grill foil packs on BBQ for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and add cheese, then desired toppings. Return to grill for another 5 minutes, then serve and enjoy! Note: I usually add green onions last because I like them fresh, but it's up to you.