This is the BEST Skinny Watermelon Margarita recipe, made with just three simple ingredients: tequila, watermelon and limes!
How to make this skinny cocktail
- Gather your ingredients. Chop up half a watermelon and juice 7 limes. Chop watermelon additional slices and slice 2 limes for garnish and set aside.
Add chopped watermelon and lime juice to blender. Blend to combine.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove as much pulp as possible.
- Pour strained mixture into a pitcher, then stir in water.
Juice the final lime, then add juice to a plate. Mix crushed sea salt flakes and chili powder in a bowl to combine. Add to another plate. Make margarita glass rim by dipping glasses one at a time in the lime juice, then in the plate of salt mixture.
Add ice to the 8 rimmed glasses, then add 1 oz of tequila to each glass. Divide the margarita mixture among glasses evenly. Serve and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Limes – fresh limes are ideal for this recipe. Using a bottled lime juice will alter the taste altogether.
- Water – use spring water or filtered water for this recipe.
- Tequila – use a blue agave tequila to avoid added sugar from cane syrup. If you want to create a non-alcoholic drink use sparkling water for a refreshing beverage.
- Sea salt flakes
- Chili powder – if you would prefer to avoid a spicier rim, leave this out.
What alcohol is in a watermelon margarita?
The alcohol used in a watermelon margarita is tequila. Tequila pairs beautifully with the tart taste of the limes found in this margarita making it a match made in heaven!
There are a lot of tequilas available on the market so if you're wondering which one to choose, I've got your back. When picking a tequila, look for one that has 100% pure agave syrup. By picking a tequila that has 100% pure agave syrup, you're avoiding the extra sugars that come from cane syrup and you're avoiding a major hangover the next day. Sounds like a win-win situation to me!
What is the difference between a margarita and a skinny margarita?
A skinny margarita is a low-calorie version of a regular margarita. The focus of a skinny margarita is on replicating the classic version with ingredients that are lower calorie and have a lower sugar count. Using this recipe for example, I've focused on using real fresh fruits, tequila that has 100% agave nectar instead of cane syrup and balancing the acidity of limes with water instead of an added juice.
How many calories are in a watermelon margarita?
For this recipe, a serving size of 8 drinks contains 175 calories – talk about a guilt-free happy hour! A typical margarita can contain around 274 calories per 8 ounce drink. The added calories in these margaritas amount from the extra sugars and syrups that are added to enhance the flavour.
How to make frozen watermelon margaritas
If you're looking for an alternative version of this drink, try these watermelon margaritas blended with ice! Blended margaritas are a great way to feel all the summer vibes and cool down on a sunny day! If you're looking to have frozen watermelon margaritas here are two options to achieve this:
- Blend the watermelon mixture with ice. The ice will add volume to the drink so you will want to blend it in batches.
- Freeze the watermelon cubes for a couple of hours prior to blending your drink.
More healthier drink recipes
- Mango Dragonfruit Refresher (Starbucks Copycat)
- Iced Peach Green Tea Refresher (Starbucks Copycat)
- Passion Tea Lemonade (Starbucks Copycat)
Meal prep tools for this recipe
The Best Skinny Watermelon Margarita
- 1/2 watermelon plus more for garnish
- 10 limes, juiced
- 1 cup filtered or spring water
- 8 oz tequila
- 1 tbsp crushed sea salt flakes
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Chop up half a watermelon and add the pieces to a blender. Juice 7 of the limes, reserving 3 for the rimmer and garnish, then add to blender. Blend to combine.
- Meanwhile, chop watermelon slices and slice limes for garnish and set aside.
- Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve to remove as much pulp as possible. Pour into a pitcher, then stir in water.
- Juice the remaining lime, then add juice to a plate. Mix crushed sea salt flakes and chili powder in a bowl to combine, then add to another plate. Dip 8 glasses one at a time in the lime juice, then in the plate of salt mixture to make your rimmer.
- Add ice to the 8 rimmed glasses, then add 1 oz of tequila to each glass. Divide the margarita mixture among glasses evenly. Serve and enjoy!