Looking to stock up your kitchen? Here's a list of all the pantry staples you need, including dry goods, oils, canned goods and more!
The Ultimate Pantry Staples List
There are few things more satisfying than having a fully-stocked pantry! By stocking up on all the essentials, you’ll always be ready to make a healthy and flavourful meal. You can leave the days of running out to the store at the last minute behind – just go shopping in your pantry, instead!
I put together this handy list of pantry staples that every kitchen needs. By stocking up on dry goods, dried spices, canned goods and more, you’ll be prepared for any meal! Read on for my handy pantry staples list that includes everything you need to stock up your kitchen.
How to Stock Your Pantry
- Do an inventory of what you have: Before going out and buying a bunch of extra pantry staples, make sure you do an inventory of what you already have on hand to avoid doubling up.
- Make a list of what you need: Think about the kind of recipes you make and what ingredients are required for each. You don’t want to buy a bunch of items that you’ll never use, but you want to ensure you have the essentials that will be used for any recipe.
- Stock up on each category: Buy any dry goods, oils, vinegars, condiments, dried herbs, spices, seasonings, canned goods and perishables.
- Organize your pantry: I recommend organizing everything in clear containers, since it makes it easier to find what you need in your pantry. Here are more tips on how to organize your pantry if you need them!
- Get cooking!
- Flour: All purpose and/or whole wheat
- Sugar: White sugar, brown sugar, icing sugar
- Oats: old fashioned/rolled oats or steel cut oats
- Rice: long-grain white rice, brown rice, basmati rice and/or jasmine rice
- Pasta: your favourite shape such as spaghetti or penne
- Other grains: quinoa, couscous
- Breadcrumbs: plain and/or panko
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Lentils: green, brown and/or red
- Nuts: almonds, walnuts, cashews
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
Oils, Vinegars & Condiments
- Oils: olive oil, avocado oil, canola oil, vegetable oil, sesame oil
- Vinegars: apple cider vinegar, balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, rice vinegar, white vinegar
- Salad dressings: store-bought or make your own
- Mustard: Dijon and/or yellow
- Soy sauce
- Hoisin sauce
- Barbecue sauce
- Hot sauce: sriracha, tabasco, buffalo sauce
- Nut/seed butter: peanut butter, almond butter, or sunflower butter
Dried Herbs, Spices & Seasonings
- Salt: table salt, kosher salt, sea salt
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Paprika: regular, smoked
- Red chili flakes
- Italian seasoning: store-bought or homemade
- Taco seasoning: store-bought or homemade
- Beans: black beans, chickpeas (garbanzo beans), cannellini beans
- Tomatoes: whole, crushed, diced
- Tomato/pasta sauce
- Tomato pasta
- Coconut milk
- Broth/bouillon: chicken, vegetable, beef
Think My Ingredient Prep System Will Work for You?
My web app, Dinner Prep Pro, is a customizable meal planning tool. Every week I send you a new customizable meal plan with grocery and prep ahead checklists that auto-populate, regardless of changes you make!
- Milk: dairy and/or non-dairy
- Yogurt: regular and/or Greek
- Cheese: cheddar, mozzarella, parmesan
- Fresh herbs: parsley, cilantro, basil
- Fruits: lemons, apples, bananas, fresh or frozen berries
- Vegetables: onions, potatoes, carrots, celery, salad greens (i.e. spinach or kale)
- Proteins: chicken breasts, ground turkey, ground beef, tofu
- Frozen food: frozen fries, puff pastry
Pantry Organization Tools & Products
- I love these OXO Good Grips Pantry Organization Set for storing various dry goods like flour and sugar.
- These clear storage containers are great for storing canned goods neatly in your cupboards.
- Large mason jars are excellent for storing ingredients in both the fridge and pantry!
- I store all my spices in these spice jars. Download free spice jar labels then purchase some sticker paper for your printer to label them.
- **Read my full pantry organization post here**
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks