These 3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Protein Balls are the perfect protein-packed snack – all you need is oats, nut butter and protein powder!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Rolled oats – quick oats and large flake oats would also work. Steel cut oats won't work well with this recipe as they haven't been flattened. If you find yourself cooking with oat flour a lot, feel free to substitute your oats with oat flour.
- Protein powder – protein powder is a key ingredient to this recipe. If whey protein doesn't sit well with you, then feel free to replace this alternatives like soy protein, rice protein or pea protein.
- Peanut butter – if you have a peanut allergy, substitute the peanut butter for any other nut or seed butter.
How to make protein balls
Step 1: Prep your ingredients.
Measure out all your ingredients.
Step 2: Blend the oats.
Add oats to a blender or food processor. Blend into a flour.
Step 3: Combine the ingredients.
Add oat flour, protein powder and peanut butter to a large bowl.
Step 4: Mix well.
Mix together until well combined.
Step 5: Roll into balls.
Roll into 24 even-sized balls.
Step 6: Store for later or enjoy!
Roll and enjoy, or store them in the fridge or freezer.
Choosing a protein powder
There are a lot of protein powders available on the market, which can be overwhelming if you are buying one for the first time.
When choosing a protein powder for these 3 ingredient peanut butter balls, use these tips:
- Choose a whey protein that has the fewest ingredients. Tip: protein should be the first ingredient.
- Select a powder that has 25-35 grams of protein per serving.
- Make sure it is low-carb – preferably less than five grams.
- Look for a protein powder without any added sugar or artificial sweeteners.
- Always choose the protein isolate. This means it contains more than 90% protein.
Here is the protein powder I use if you're looking for a clean one. Whey protein is made from dairy so if you are vegan or lactose-sensitive you may want to opt for a vegan protein powder such as soy, pea or rice.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes! Protein balls are a great and healthy snack or breakfast option. The peanut butter and protein powder are both full of nutrients that will keep you energized throughout your day. The peanut butter is filled with healthy fats and calcium that will promote strong and healthy bones, the oats are a source of energy to keep you going throughout your day, and the protein powder repairs your muscles for continuous growth – perfect for post-workouts.
These 3 ingredient peanut butter balls have 8 grams of protein per serving.
If you have a nut allergy, swap out the peanut butter for your favourite seed butter in these 3 ingredient protein balls, like sunflower seed butter or pumpkin seed butter. In addition to being allergy-friendly, seed butters tend to have more unsaturated fats, magnesium and vitamin E.
One serving of these 3 ingredient peanut butter balls has 138 calories.
Storing and reheating
I love making a big batch of these 3 ingredient peanut butter balls to enjoy throughout the week. Once they've chilled, you can store them in a Ziploc bag or airtight container in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Just pull them out of the fridge and enjoy – no reheating required!
Freezing this recipe
Once your peanut butter and protein powder balls have chilled, they can be stored in the fridge or freezer in either a large container or freezer bag for up to 3 months. When you're ready to eat them, let them thaw at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes. If you're in a rush to leave the house, microwave them for 30 seconds and they’ll be ready right away!
Make healthy eating easy! Join our Dinner Prep Pro app.
- ZERO ADS on over 450 recipes
- Customizable weekly meal plans
- Grocery and meal prep checklists
- Bonus resource library and community
3-Ingredient Peanut Butter Protein Balls
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup vanilla whey protein powder
- 1 1/2 cups peanut butter or nut/seed butter of choice
- Add oats to a blender or food processor. Blend into a flour.
- Add oat flour, protein powder and peanut butter to a large bowl. Mix together until well combined.
- Roll into 24 even-sized balls, then serve and enjoy!
- STORING: Once chilled, you can store the protein balls in the fridge in a freezer bag or large container for up to 3 months, and you can freeze them for up to 6 months.