This One Pan Sausage Peppers and Onions is made with turkey sausage, bell peppers, mushrooms and onions tossed in pasta sauce.
How to make sausage peppers and onions (step-by-step)
Here's how to make this simple recipe step-by-step:
Saute sausages in a skillet for 10 minutes, then slice them up.
Meanwhile, get your mushrooms cooking. As their juices start to release, add onions and peppers, cooking another 2 minutes or so. The veggies don't need long to cook, so add sausages back in after that along with garlic, salt & pepper and red chili flakes.
Add your tomato sauce, then cook another couple minutes. Serve immediately with a little bit of grated parmesan overtop if desired and enjoy!
Follow the recipe exactly for crisp veggies, and allow a longer cook time if you like softer peppers. The great thing about this recipe is that you'll be cooking the sausage ahead of time then slicing before adding back in to the skillet so you've got some flexibility on the veggie cook time.
Sauce for sausage and peppers
I just use a simple tomato sauce for this sausage and peppers recipe. Your favourite jarred spaghetti sauce will work here, or even canned crushed tomatoes if you're in a pinch. The main flavours of the sausage and veggies are the star of this dish.
What type of sausage?
I use turkey sausage in this recipe to keep it leaner and healthier, but you can use any type of sausage you'd like!
If you're really in a bind but don't have any sausages on hand at home, you can actually make some yourself – it's SUPER easy! The secret is using ground chicken, pork or turkey, and then a very simple blend of spices.
I always use fennel seeds because I find they really give the meat that typically “sausage”-y flavour, but they can be expensive to buy at the grocery store so if you're looking at your most basic sausage recipe, you can look to my breakfast sausage recipe for inspiration and just leave out the fennel seeds.
Ingredients in sausage and peppers
Here are the ingredients you need to make this sausage and peppers recipe – it's a short ingredient list so very basic!
- Sausage (I personally like turkey sausage for lower calories)
- Red, green and yellow bell pepper
- Mushrooms (optional – I find they add a great flavour!)
- Jarred tomato/spaghetti sauce
- Red chili flakes (optional – for a little bit of heat)
You can also swap out the veggies in this Sausage and Peppers recipes so you don't necessarily have to do the mushroom-pepper-onion combo if you don't want. Broccoli or any type of greens works, along with carrots, cabbage, cauliflower, zucchini, green beans and more. So take your veggie crisper and dump it up in this recipe. You just can't go wrong here.
Time saving meal prep tips
This sausage and peppers recipe really doesn't take long to cook, but there are a few time-saving tips and tricks to making the process go a lot faster.
Here are my top tips:
- Chop your peppers, onions and mushrooms up ahead of time so that all you have to do is dump them in
- Use store bought sausages to save on time (sometimes I'll make my own homemade sausage if I only have ground meat on hand so go with store bought for faster prep)
- Use jarred garlic so you can save time on mincing
Can you make sausage and peppers ahead of time?
You sure can! Sausage peppers and onions will last in the fridge up to 5 days so you can make parts of the recipe ahead of time such as cooking and slicing up the sausage before you actually make the entire skillet. You can also meal prep this recipe and divide it into individual servings then enjoy as a weekday lunch or dinner since it reheats so well. The choice is up to you!
How to reheat sausage and peppers
To reheat this recipe, simply zap it in the microwave for 2 minutes on high. I always recommend sprinkling a little bit of water overtop so that the leftovers don't dry out. This is my special secret for reviving leftovers and it works every time!
Just make sure you are reheating in a glass container or microwave-safe dish and not plastic.
Can you freeze sausage peppers and onions?
You should be able to freeze this recipe. I have not personally tried it, but most of the ingredients in this recipe are freezer-friendly once cooked through so before freezing, bring the recipe down to room temperature then pack in individual servings in glass containers. They will last in the freezer up to 3 months.
When ready to reheat, pull one out of the freezer then microwave for 6-7 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Can you make sausage and peppers in the oven?
You can also make this recipe in the oven! Follow the same steps as you see listed for the skillet. Bake the sausages for 10 minutes first, then slice up and add to a baking sheet with the veggies, garlic, salt & pepper and tomato sauce. Bake the mixture for 10-15 minutes until the veggies are tender, then serve and enjoy.
What to serve with sausage and peppers
If you're looking to serve this Low Carb Sausage and Peppers Skillet as a bigger dinner, I suggest adding in some cooked pasta to take the flavours over the top and create a more filling meal.
Here are some more serving ideas:
- Over pasta
- With rice
- With roasted potatoes
- With quinoa
- Overtop of mixed greens or with a side of arugula
More skillet dinner ideas
Here are some more delicious dinner ideas that cook up quickly on one pan:
- Sheet pan sausage and root vegetables
- French onion chicken skillet
- Italian chicken skillet
- Chicken marsala skillet
Tools to make this recipe
- These glass meal prep bowls are so great for microwaving and reheating your sausage and peppers safely
- I get all my meat from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your sausage is cooked through
One Pan Sausage Peppers and Onions
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 turkey sausages (1 lb of sausage)
- 1 (8oz) package mushrooms, quartered
- 2 yellow onions, sliced
- 1 each green, yellow and red pepper, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp each Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp red chili flakes (cut in half or leave out if you don't like spicy)
- 1/2 cup jarred pasta sauce
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat in large frying pan. Add turkey sausages and cook for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and slice when cool.
- Without wiping pan clean, add mushrooms to skillet and saute until juices start to release, about 5 minutes. Add onions and peppers, cooking another 2 minutes or so.
- Add sausages back in, along with garlic, salt & pepper and red chili flakes. Add pasta sauce. Cook mixture another 2-3 minutes until sausages are fully cooked and veggies are softened.
- Divide among 4 meal prep bowls or enjoy for dinner. Leftovers will last up to 5 days in the fridge - enjoy!