This 30-Minute One Pan Italian Chicken Skillet is a delicious, low calorie meal that you can enjoy as lunch meal prep or for dinner.
How to make this recipe
Cook quinoa according to package instructions and prepare the veggies.
Heat olive oil over med-high heat in a large skillet.
Add mushrooms and garlic, sauteing until the mushrooms cook and the garlic is fragrant.
After mushrooms and garlic have sauted, add the chicken and cook until browned.
Add Italian seasoning, balsamic vinegar and basil.
Add veggies, cooking until veggies are tender and everything is cooked.
Stir in parmesan cheese, then serve with quinoa in four large bowls and enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – use any neutral oil such as avocado oil, sunflower oil or vegetable oil for this recipe.
- Garlic – fresh or jarred minced garlic can be used for this recipe.
- Button mushrooms – use cremini mushrooms, portobello mushrooms if you don’t have button mushrooms available.
- Chicken breasts – boneless, skinless chicken thighs can be used in place of chicken breasts.
- Red pepper – use another variety of bell pepper if you don’t have red bell peppers on hand.
- Red onion – white onion, sweet onion or yellow onion are other great options for this dish.
- Asparagus – broccoli, green beans, and snow peas are all great alternatives to asparagus.
- Zucchini – eggplant or another summer squash can be used in place of zucchini.
- Italian seasoning – basil, marjoram, oregano rosemary and thyme mixed together can be used in place of Italian seasoning.
- Balsamic vinegar – mix a cider vinegar or red wine vinegar with sugar to create a similar blend.
- Basil – fresh mint, parsley, thyme or oregano are great alternatives or you can leave it out altogether if you’re in a pinch.
- Parmesan cheese – freshly grated Parmesan cheese is preferred for this recipe. If you don't have any, shredded Parmesan cheese will also work.
- Quinoa – use couscous or your choice of rice (ex: basmati, long grain, etc.)
Storing and reheating
If you have leftover chicken and quinoa, prepare them into individual servings in air tight glass containers and then refrigerate them. Once the dish is in the refrigerator, this dish will last 4-5 days, aka your whole work week! That's what makes this dish one of the best meal prep recipes!
When you're ready to enjoy the dish, take the serving out of the fridge and warm it up in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and enjoy!
Freezing the leftovers
Like many of my other skillet meals, this Italian chicken dish freezes very well. You can even freeze the cooked quinoa with the chicken! This makes the meal a great choice for a make-ahead meal.
To freeze, transfer the dish out of the skillet and into a freezer-safe container once the dish has cooled entirely. Freeze in individual servings for easy last-minute dinners. Once it is frozen, it will keep well for 2 to 3 months.
When you're ready to enjoy the dish, move it to the fridge the night before to defrost then microwave for 1-2 minutes until warmed.
More one pan skillet recipes
Meal prep tools
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this recipe into your weekly lunches
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen
- Get a meat thermometer to make sure your chicken is cooked through
30-Minute One Pan Italian Chicken Skillet
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 package Button mushrooms
- 3 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1/2 bunch asparagus, chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- Cook quinoa according to package instructions and chop veggies.
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat in a large skillet. Add mushrooms and garlic, sauteeing for 5 minutes until liquid starts to release. Add chicken and cook another 5 minutes until browned. Add Italian seasoning, balsamic vinegar and basil.
- Add veggies, cooking another 5-10 minutes until veggies are tender and everything is cooked. Stir in parmesan cheese, then serve with quinoa in four large bowls and enjoy!