These Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Meatballs are a healthy and freezer-friendly lunch or dinner idea – they’re also the perfect party food!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Buffalo sauce – use your favourite store-bought buffalo wing sauce like Frank’s Red Hot.
- Celery, carrots and cucumbers – serve with any veggies of your choice like bell peppers or snap peas.
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing – swap out for another dipping sauce.
- Parsley – this is an optional garnish and can be left off altogether.
- Ground chicken – you can also try making these meatballs with ground turkey or extra-lean ground beef.
- Breadcrumbs – swap out for panko, crushed-up crackers or unsweetened cornflakes.
- Egg – plain yogurt or a bit of a buttermilk will also help form your meatballs.
- Buffalo sauce – you could use BBQ sauce for a different take on these meatballs.
- Yellow onion – white onion or shallots would also be good.
- Garlic powder – onion powder will work in a pinch.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
How to make buffalo chicken meatballs
- Mix and form the meatballs.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Toss with buffalo sauce.
- Drizzle with dressing and serve or store for later!
What to serve with buffalo chicken meatballs
I always serve these buffalo chicken meatballs with a side of fresh raw veggies and ranch or blue cheese sauce for dipping. Looking for something different? There are lots of other options for healthy side dishes! Here are some more ideas:
- Blue cheese crumbles
- Green side salad
- Roasted veggies
- Buns to turn them into sandwiches
Frequently Asked Questions
This recipe has 20 grams of carbs per serving. It’s a fairly low-carb meal since you’re serving it with a side of veggies.
If you find that your chicken meatballs are tough, you may have overworked the mixture and packed them too tightly. Make sure you’re not overhandling the mixture when you form it into meatballs so they come out nice and moist.
You sure can! The slow cooker is a great option if you’re making these meatballs for a party, since they’ll stay warm the entire time without drying out. Just make sure to use some of the buffalo sauce to keep them from sticking to the bottom of the pot or drying out.
Storing and reheating
This buffalo chicken meatball recipe is perfect for meal prep. The leftovers will last in the fridge for up to 5 days alongside any veggies and dip. You can eat them cold or take out the veggies and reheat the meatballs in the microwave for 1-2 minutes.
You can make these meatballs up to 3 days ahead of time for a party or potluck as well. When you’re ready to serve them, reheat them in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes at 400° Fahrenheit. It’s best to wait to toss them with the sauce until right before serving.
Can you freeze homemade meatballs?
You can freeze these homemade buffalo chicken meatballs either cooked or uncooked.
If you want to freeze them uncooked, place them on a tray in the freezer for about an hour so they don’t stick together, then freeze them in airtight glass containers for up to 3 months. If you’re freezing them cooked, let them cool completely then store them in freezer-safe containers or Ziploc bags for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy your meatballs, let them defrost in the fridge overnight then cook them or reheat them as normal.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
More buffalo chicken recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing these meatballs in the freezer and defrosting in the microwave.
- Or these aluminum foil containers are perfect for re-heating straight from the freezer to oven.
- I get all my grass-fed beef and free-range chicken from Butcher Box.
Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Meatballs
- 3/4 cup buffalo sauce
- Celery sticks
- Carrot sticks
- Cucumber wedges
- Ranch or blue cheese dressing to serve
- Parsley, for garnish (optional)
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp buffalo sauce
- 1 yellow onion, grated
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Mix together ingredients for meatballs, then form into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes until fully cooked in the center.
- Remove meatballs from the oven and allow to cool for 5 minutes. Toss with 3/4 cup of buffalo sauce in a large bowl, then divide among meal prep bowls and add in veggies and containers of dressing. Drizzle meatballs with ranch and garnish with parsley if desired.
- Meal prep bowls will keep in fridge up to 5 days – serve and enjoy!
- Note: you can make these meatballs up to 3 days ahead of time for parties/potlucks. Make the meatballs and store in the fridge, then reheat in a 350 F oven for 10-15 minutes and toss in warmed up sauce when ready to serve.