These Low Carb Taco Stuffed Avocados are filled with seasoned ground turkey and topped with pico de gallo, cheese and sour cream.
How to make taco stuffed avocados
- Prepare your ingredients, but don't slice the avocados until just before stuffing them. Otherwise, the flesh may oxidize and become brown in color.
- Brown the meat. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, add the ground turkey, salt and pepper and cook until the meat is lightly browned, about 5 minutes.
- Add vegetables and seasonings. Add the onion, garlic, taco seasoning and lime juice and stir to combine.
- Continue cooking for another 5 minutes, until the onions are soft and the meat is completely cooked.
- Prepare the avocados. Meanwhile, slice the avocados in half from top to bottom and remove their pit. Divide the turkey filling between each of the avocado halves, then top them with cheese, pico de gallo, and whatever other toppings you desire.
- Serve and enjoy!
Skip the Ads and Get Right to the Recipes!
- ZERO ADS on over 600 recipes!
- Weekly Meal Plans, Grocery & Prep Lists
- Bonus eBooks
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – Good substitutes for olive oil are vegetable, avocado, or any other neutral flavour of oil.
- Ground turkey – instead of turkey, you can use ground chicken, beef, or any other ground meat of your choice
- Onion – red onion has a sweet flavour that pairs well with Mexican flavours but white or yellow onion will also work.
- Garlic – I like to mince fresh garlic cloves, but minced garlic from a jar also works
- Taco seasoning – You can use store-bought seasoning, or use individual spices to make your own blend!
- Lime juice – Freshly squeezed will give the best flavour
- Shredded cheese – Cheddar, a Mexican blend, crumbled Cotija, Oaxaca, or any other type you prefer
- Pico de gallo or salsa – You can use store-bought or make your own. Directions for making pico de gallo are shown below.
- Sour cream – plain greek yogurt mixed with
- Cilantro (to garnish)
- Black olives – replace with any toppings of your choice
- Jalapenos – for less heat, use poblano peppers, pickled jalapenos or remove the seeds of the jalapenos peppers
- Scallions (to garnish)
Making homemade pico de gallo
Pico de gallo tastes fantastic on top of the taco stuffed avocados. You can buy it, but it is very easy to make your own. Simply toss the following ingredients together in a bowl and chill until you’re ready to serve:
- 2 diced tomatoes – Because they have fewer seeds, I like to use plum tomatoes
- 1/2 diced white onion
- 1 jalapeño, membrane and seeds removed (if desired) and finely minced
- chopped cilantro
- 1 lime, freshly juiced
- salt, to taste
Is an avocado a veggie or fruit?
Believe it or not, avocados are a delicious and healthy fruit!
Because of their fleshy pulp and the fact that they have seeds, avocados are actually considered to be a type of berry.
What to serve with stuffed avocados
Although a stuffed avocado may not look like a taco, this dish has all of the flavours of tacos. For this reason, perfect side dishes to serve with it are the same sides you might serve with a taco dinner.
Here are some ideas:
- black beans
- refried beans
- Mexican or Spanish rice
- tortilla chips with fresh salsa
More topping ideas
Use as many toppings as you want on your stuffed avocados; let your taste buds lead the way!
If you want to spice the dish up a bit more, you can swap out the jalapeños and use spicier chile peppers. Or, add a few dashes of hot sauce to the top.
Try some diced mango or pineapple for a bit of sweetness to balance the spicy flavours.
Rather than using sour cream, consider making lime crema. This Mexican condiment is basically sour cream, but with a higher butterfat content and less acidity. All you need to do is combine cream with fresh lime juice and zest.
Storing and reheating
Because you’ll be stuffing fresh avocados, this dish doesn’t store very well after assembly. Fresh avocados are best if they are cut just before serving. However, any leftover turkey mixture will keep well in the refrigerator for up to 5 days.
You can reheat the meat mixture in a microwave for 4-5 minutes, or in a pan on the stove top.over medium heat. Just stir occasionally to ensure that everything warms through.
If you have any leftover toppings, refrigerate them in separate containers and add them to the top of the meat mixture.
Freezing the ground turkey mixture
The meat mixture freezes well for up to 3 months. To save room in your freezer, store it flat in large plastic zip top storage bags
Or, store it in freezer safe meal prep containers. This way, you can place the leftovers in the refrigerator to thaw overnight. Then, pop the container right into the microwave for reheating.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
More delicious low carb recipes
Tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on storing the leftover taco meat
- I get all my free-range ground chicken & turkey from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen
- Freeze the ground turkey in glass microwave-safe bowls up to 3 months
Low Carb Taco Stuffed Avocados
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lb ground turkey or chicken
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1 red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp taco seasoning
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 2 avocados, sliced in half
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup store bought pico de gallo or salsa
- Sour cream
- Black olives
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Add ground turkey, seasoning with salt & pepper and cook 5 minutes until lightly browned. Add red onion, garlic, taco seasoning and lime juice, cooking another 5 minutes until fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, slice avocados in half and prepare toppings. Divide turkey mixture among avocados then add cheese, pico de gallo and whatever other toppings you desire. Serve and enjoy!
Join The Girl on Bloor Premium!
- ZERO ADS!
- Weekly Meal Prep Checklists
- Bonus eBooks
Leave A Reply!