Freezer-friendly Homemade Pizza Pockets
Friday nights in my house are known as family game night, and pizza is always assumed to be involved in some way or another.? I am the resident pizza maker in my house – I don't want to brag but I know how to get the dough to just the right thickness and shape, and I can make the crispiest crust in the oven (the secret is preheating your oven to 500 degrees!). Given the popularity of my pizzas in my household, imagine my family's skepticism when I announced I would be trying to make homemade pizza pockets for game night one day.
Well, you'll be surprised to hear that these pizza pockets were a big hit – and they're (drumroll please…) FREEZER. FRIENDLY. If you haven't already checked out these party-friendly mini pizza bites, then be prepared for your pizza game to change, friends!?
So the last game night we had, we played Cards of Humanity. Yes – my parents, my brother and his girlfriend and I, all around the same table playing this hilariously crude game. Accompanied by plenty of drinks and pizza, it was a pretty great time. I don't know about you, but there is nothing better sometimes than staying in and enjoying a little quality time with family – especially when food is involved! ☺
My family's favourite pizza toppings have traditionally always been pepperoni, green pepper and mushroom (a classic combo amirite?), but my mom has deviated from that over the years to try different versions of pizza like Thai chicken with broccoli and sundried tomatoes, and she's a huge fan of my roasted vegetable flatbread so I usually end up making two giant pizzas every games night.
How delicious do these Super Easy Homemade Pizza Pockets look? The best part of this recipe is that if you're like my mom and can't stand the traditional pizza combos, you can easily switch it up and add different kinds of veggies and sauces. Really, the options here are endless!?
I guarantee you'll be making these homemade pizza pockets for eons to come, and they're a great, healthified version of the traditional freezer snack. If you're going to freeze these (like, if you even have that much self control!!), I recommend that you cook them fully, and wrap them in saran wrap then put them in a giant freezer bag to store in the freezer. Take 'em out and microwave for 3-4 minutes. Super easy snack idea!✔
Just remember to use a fresh mozzarella ball for the best cheesey results for these homemade pizza pockets. I know that pre-grated cheese is much easier, but you have to trust me on this. If you want the gooey, melty, delicious cheese that is only found on pizza, then this is the cheese to go with.
Super Easy Homemade Pizza Pockets
- 1 ball store bought pizza dough
- 20 mushrooms sliced
- 1 green pepper diced
- 1 package pepperoni I used turkey pepperoni
- 1 can tomato sauce
- 1 ball mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Roll out pizza dough until it is about 1/4 to 1/2 an inch thick. Cut into rectangles that will easily fold over. On one half of the rectangle, spread your sauce, cheese and toppings, leaving space around the edges for the dough to touch together.
- Seal all edges, using a bit of water if necessary. Bake on a parchment lined baking sheet for 15-20 minutes until dough is crisp and golden.
- Wait 3-4 minutes before eating - they will be hot!
- You can also freeze them for up to 3 months. If freezing, make sure to freeze them after you have baked them in separate freezer bags, and then microwave for 1-2 minutes to thaw. Place paper towel over pizza pocket and then microwave another 1-2 min to completely heat through.