This Crockpot Vegetable Soup is so delicious! It's made easily in the slow cooker with fire roasted tomatoes, lentils, and a mix of veggies.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Olive oil – or another neutral cooking oil like avocado or canola oil.
- White potatoes – Yukon Gold potatoes, red potatoes or yellow potatoes would all be good in this soup.
- Yellow onion – white onion or shallots can be used instead.
- Carrots – parsnips would also be good.
- Celery stalks – double up on the carrots or swap out for another veggie of your choice like bell pepper.
- Garlic – freshly minced garlic is best but jarred minced garlic will work in a pinch.
- Italian seasoning – make your own using a blend of dried basil, oregano, rosemary, thyme and marjoram.
- Salt & pepper – to taste.
- Fire roasted tomatoes – a can of regular tomatoes can be used but it won’t have the same flavour.
- Vegetable broth – chicken broth is the best substitute here.
- Brown or green lentils – swap out for another legume like Garbanzo beans, black beans or chickpeas.
- Mixed frozen vegetables – use any frozen vegetable blend of your choice.
- Baby spinach – substitute for another dark leafy green like kale or Swiss chard.
- Fresh parsley – leave this off if you don’t have any on hand.
How to make vegetable soup in the crockpot
Step 1: Cook everything in the crockpot.
Add all ingredients to the crockpot except for spinach and parsley. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
Step 2: Add in the spinach and parsley.
Once the cooking time is up, add in the spinach and parsley.
Step 3: Stir well.
Stir the spinach and parsley into the soup.
Step 4: Serve and enjoy!
What to serve with vegetable soup
This vegetable soup is a delicious light meal on its own, and the lentils add plenty of protein so you’ll stay full for longer. If you’re looking for ideas on what to serve with your vegetable soup, here are some of my favourite sides:
Frequently Asked Questions
I love putting a variety of vegetables in my soup! For this recipe, I added potatoes, carrots, celery, lentils, spinach and a frozen vegetable blend. You can add in pretty much whatever veggies you want, though.
The garlic, Italian seasoning, sea salt and pepper will add plenty of flavour to your vegetable soup. I also highly recommend using a can of fire roasted tomatoes for a little extra kick. You can use regular canned tomatoes if they’re all you have on hand, but fire roasted tomatoes provide amazing flavour.
One bowl of this vegetable soup has 296 calories per serving.
Storing and reheating
You can store this soup in the fridge for up to 5 days. Store it in glass bowls, meal prep containers or even mason jars! To reheat, just pop the container in the microwave for 1 to 2 minutes or bring the soup to a simmer in a pot on the stovetop.
Can you freeze vegetable soup?
This vegetable soup is definitely freezer-friendly, although I’d recommend leaving out the spinach if you plan on freezing it. You can freeze this soup without the spinach in glass bowls or freezer-safe Ziploc bags for up to 3 months.
When you’re ready to enjoy, let the soup defrost in the fridge overnight and reheat as normal. You can also reheat it straight from frozen in the microwave for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring halfway through. Stir in the fresh spinach towards the end of the reheating time and your soup will be as good as new!
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on turning this soup into your weekly lunches.
- Use these Ziploc bag holders if you're packing up the leftover soup in freezer-safe bags to freeze it.
- If you don't already have a crock pot, make sure to pick one up!
The Best Crockpot Vegetable Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 white potatoes chopped
- 1 yellow onion diced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 3 celery stalks chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 (398mL) can fire roasted tomatoes
- 6 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup brown or green lentils
- 2 cups mixed frozen vegetables
- 2 cups baby spinach chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley optional
- Add all ingredients to the crockpot except for spinach and parsley. Cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Stir in spinach and parsley, then serve and enjoy!