Here's how to make Pita Pizza 3 Ways (veggie, margherita and Tex Mex) – they're so great for meal prep and make fantastic freezer meals.
Ingredients you need
Here's what you need to make pita pizza at home. Really, you just need a few basics and then it's whatever toppings you want!
- Greek-style pitas or naan (you want the thick pitas to hold all the toppings)
- pizza sauce
Here's what you need on hand for the Deluxe pizza:
- green pepper
- red onion
For the Margherita pizza:
- basil leaves
And for the Tex Mex pizza:
- red pepper
- red onion
How to make pita pizza
- Add pitas to oven while prepping toppings to lightly toast them, then add sauce.
- Add cheese.
- Divide toppings of choice, then add pizzas to a parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake pizzas for 12-15 minutes
- Add herbs of choice if using (basil or cilantro) after pizzas are finished cooking.
- Cut into 4 pieces with a pizza cutter
- Serve and enjoy!
- Pita – Naan or sandwich thins can be used for the crust instead of the pita bread. Use your favorite gluten-free pita or naan bread if you prefer.
- Pizza sauce – Use jarred marinara or spaghetti sauce instead. If you don’t want chunky sauce, puree it in a blender for a few seconds. Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to make it a little spicier.
- Mozzarella cheese – Any shredded, melty cheese is good on these pizzas.
- Green peppers – Use any colour of pepper you prefer for any of these pizza recipes.
- Corn – Fresh corn is best but you can also use frozen. Be sure to thaw and drain it before putting it on the bread so your pita won’t get soggy.
- Jalapeno – Jarred, pickled jalapenos taste good on this pizza if you don’t have fresh ones around.
- Cilantro/Basil – This is for garnish – you can leave it out if you don’t like it.
Best pita bread for pizza
Greek pita bread is the perfect size and thickness for making personal size pizzas.
Make sure the pitas are pocketless to get the chewiness you expect from a crust. Because of the large pocket of air between the layers of bread, using pocket pita bread isn't a good option.
Cooking pita pizza on a grill
There is nothing like piping hot pizza! By grilling it, you end up with beautiful grill marks on the crust.
- Preheat the grill to medium, or about 375-400°F.
- Brush both sides of the pitas with olive oil and grill until marked, about 2 minutes per side.
- Remove from grill and add your toppings.
- Return pitas to the grill. Cover the grill and cook for 3-5 more minutes, or until cheese is melted and the pita is heated.
- Remove from heat and cut into 4 pieces.
More pita pizza ideas
Once you’ve seen how fun and quick it is to make these, you’re going to want to have them all of the time. Here are a few ingredient suggestions so you don’t have to make the same style all the time.
- Veggie: Mushrooms, olives, peppers, cherry tomatoes, onions
- Greek: Kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, feta cheese, marinated artichoke hearts
- BBQ chicken: Barbecue sauce, Shredded Chicken, cheddar cheese
- Buffalo chicken: Shredded chicken tossed with Frank’s Red Hot sauce, cheddar cheese, blue cheese crumbles
- Pesto: Pesto sauce, feta cheese, red pepper
- Hawaiian: Ham, pineapple
- Dessert: Peanut butter, chocolate chips, mini marshmallows
Storing and reheating
Just in case you make too many of these to eat in one day, you can store them for up to 3 days in an airtight storage container.
The best way to reheat them is to place them on a baking sheet in the oven at 350°F until they are warmed all the way through. You can reheat them in a microwave for 2-3 minutes, but the crust will likely be soggy.
Freezing pita pizzas
Wrap any cooked, unsliced pizzas in foil and put into freezer bags to keep them from getting freezer burn. Freeze them for up to 3 months.
You can reheat them from frozen by baking them in a 375° F oven for 25 minutes or until heated through.
More fun pizza recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Order a pizza cutter online
Pita Pizza 3 Ways
- 4 Greek-style pitas or naan
- 2 cups pizza sauce
- 3 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup pepperoni
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup green pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- 12 slices salami
- 1 tomato, sliced
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 4 cups cheddar cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup red pepper, diced
- 1/2 cup corn
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, sliced
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Add pitas to oven for 3-4 minutes while prepping toppings to lightly toast them.
- Meanwhile, prepare toppings of choice. If making the Deluxe pita pizza, saute the mushrooms in a small frying pan until they release liquid to avoid a soggy pizza (this step is optional but I find it's worth it to avoid mushiness).
- Remove pitas from oven, top with sauce and divide cheese of choice among pizzas. Divide toppings of choice, then add pizzas to a parchment-lined baking sheet. NOTE: I find you can fit 2 pizzas per tray. If making the Margherita or Tex Mex pizzas, leave the herbs (basil & cilantro) off the pizzas.
- Bake pizzas for 12-15 minutes until cheese is melted and toppings are cooked. Add herbs of choice if using (basil or cilantro) after pizzas are finished cooking.
- Cut into 4 pieces with a pizza cutter, then serve and enjoy!
- Wrap cooked pizza (unsliced) in foil and freeze up to 3 months. Reheat from frozen at 375 F for 25 minutes or until heated through.