This is the creamiest Healthy Crockpot Chicken and Rice Recipe. It’s so easy to make in the slow cooker with no canned soup required!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Cooking spray – feel free to use butter or a neutral oil to grease your crockpot instead.
- Yellow onion – shallots or red onion will also work.
- Frozen vegetables – choose different blends of frozen vegetables or use fresh vegetables.
- Basmati rice – jasmine rice would work too. If you want to use brown rice, you may need to add another cup of broth. I haven't tested this recipe using brown rice, so you may need to test this yourself.
- Dried thyme – you can leave this out, or use fresh thyme or Italian seasoning instead.
- Garlic – the fresh stuff is best, but the jarred kind will work. 1 tsp garlic powder will also work in a pinch.
- Dijon mustard – there isn't a great substitute for this. You can try leaving it out or using 2 tsp dry mustard instead.
- Chicken breasts – chicken thighs can be used if you prefer them.
- Chicken broth – add cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup to the rice instead of or in addition to the broth.
- Sour cream – Greek yogurt will work here but the flavour will be different.
- Cheddar cheese – any type of cheese can be used, but I find cheddar gives the most kick
- Parsley – cilantro or lemon zest would also be good.
How to make chicken and rice in the crockpot
Step 1: Prep your ingredients.
Step 2: Spray the crockpot with cooking spray.
Step 3: Add ingredients to the crockpot.
Add all ingredients except for sour cream, cheese and parsley in the order in which they are listed. Make sure to push rice down underneath liquid as much as possible.
Step 4: Cook on high or low.
Cook on high for 2 hours, or on low for 4 hours, stirring 2-3 times midway through cooking time.
Step 5: Stir in the remaining ingredients.
Stir in sour cream and cheese at the end of cook time, stirring well to combine.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy!
Serve garnished with fresh parsley, and enjoy!
Tips & variations
There are a few different tips and variations you can try for this crockpot chicken and rice recipe:
- Instant Pot method: Add 1-2 tbsp canola oil to the bottom of the pot, then add the onions, frozen veggies, chicken, rice and broth in order. Push the rice underneath the liquid, cook on high pressure for 5 minutes, then do a quick release of the pressure. Stir in the sour cream and cheese, garnish with parsley and serve!
- Ingredient prep: If you want to cut down on prep time, dice up the chicken breasts, mince the garlic and grate the cheddar cheese in advance. Store everything in glass containers in the fridge until you're ready to use.
- Different toppings: Try out different toppings and different cheeses, or mix in some additional spices for different flavours!
- More veggies: Add in extra veggies like bell peppers, broccoli, tomatoes, green beans, jalapenos, carrots and peas.
Frequently Asked Questions
One of the best things about healthy crockpot chicken recipes is that there’s no pre-cooking required – you basically just dump everything in the pot then set it to cook. For this recipe, you’ll add the raw chicken right into the crockpot along with the onion, frozen vegetables, rice, dried thyme, salt and pepper, garlic, Dijon mustard and chicken broth.
For this healthy chicken and rice crockpot recipe, you don’t have to be too concerned about the chicken being covered in liquid, but you should try and push the rice down below the liquid as much as possible. You want to make sure the rice is covered by the broth so it soaks up the liquid and cooks properly.
When it comes to healthy chicken crock pot recipes, you can cook the chicken and rice either on high or low, depending on your preference and how much time you have. You can cook this recipe on high for 2 hours or on low for 4 hours.
I'd recommend using basmati or jasmine rice for this recipe, as that's the kind of rice I tested with this recipe and it cooks in the proper amount of time. If you use another kind of rice, it may take longer to cook and might turn out a bit mushy, so you'll need to test it out and increase the cooking time as needed.
Storing and reheating
Like most healthy crockpot chicken recipes, this dish is great for meal prep! It will last in the fridge for up to 5 days in airtight glass containers or meal prep bowls and makes great lunch leftovers. To reheat the dish, sprinkle some water over top to keep the rice from drying out then stick it in the microwave for 2 to 3 minutes.
Freezing this recipe
This healthy chicken and rice crockpot recipe can be frozen for about a month, but it will likely lose some of its texture due to the sour cream. If you do freeze it, you can reheat is straight from frozen for 6 to 7 minutes in the microwave, stirring halfway through the cooking time. Don’t forget to sprinkle some water over top before reheating!
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Healthy Crockpot Chicken and Rice Recipe
- cooking spray
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 1 lb chicken breasts, diced
- 2 cups frozen vegetables
- 1 cup basmati rice dry, not cooked
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese
- Parsley, for garnish
- Spray crockpot with cooking spray, then add all ingredients except for sour cream, cheese and parsley in the order in which they are listed. Make sure to push rice down underneath liquid as much as possible.
- Cook on high for 3 hours, or on low for 6 hours, stirring 2-3 times midway through cooking time.
- Stir in sour cream and cheese at the end of cook time, stirring well to combine.
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley, and enjoy!