This Starbucks Eggnog Latte is the perfect copycat. It’s a holiday favourite made with steamed eggnog and espresso, then topped with nutmeg.
Ingredients and substitutions
- Espresso shots – if you don’t have any espresso beans, use the darkest roast you have and brew it extra-strong. Instant espresso would also work.
- Eggnog – feel free to use any variety of eggnog! Sugar-free and dairy-free eggnogs will also work.
- Milk – use your favourite milk or dairy-free milk to thin the eggnog a bit and make it less overpowering.
- Nutmeg – cinnamon would also be good on top of your latte or you can leave this of altogether.
- Whipped cream – use dairy-free whipped cream or skip it if you don’t want the extra calories.
How to make an eggnog latte
Step 1: Assemble your ingredients.
Gather all of your ingredients.
Step 2: Brew the espresso.
Brew the espresso shots or extra-strong coffee.
Step 3: Steam the eggnog and milk.
Microwave milk and eggnog together for 1-2 minutes and froth with a milk frother afterward, or add both to a steamer to heat through and froth.
Step 4: Pour into mugs.
Pour the espresso shots into a large cup.
Step 5: Add the eggnog and milk over top.
Pour steamed milk/eggnog mixture overtop of espresso shots, stirring gently.
Step 6: Serve and enjoy!
Finish off the drink with whipped cream if desired, then sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve and enjoy!
How to make homemade eggnog
If you can’t find an eggnog that you like in the supermarket, it is pretty easy to make it yourself at home.
One fantastic benefit of making homemade eggnog is that it won’t have the preservatives, artificial flavours and extra sugar that Starbucks and most store brands of eggnog have.
You can use a non-dairy substitute for the cream and the milk for the eggnog, if you prefer. The result just won’t be as thick and rich as the original recipe is.
Frequently Asked Questions
You only need five ingredients to make this eggnog latte: espresso shots, eggnog, milk, nutmeg and whipped cream.
This eggnog latte has all the flavours of your favourite holiday drink. The richness of the espresso goes beautifully with the steamed eggnog, and the nutmeg over top provides the perfect finishing touch!
When you make this latte according to the recipe below, it has 207 calories and 17 grams of sugar. According to the Starbucks website, there are 450 calories and 59 grams of sugar in one 16-ounce serving of their latte! The eggnog, whole milk and extra whipped cream add up to extra calories in the Starbucks version. You might be able to enjoy a second latte if you use my recipe!
There is no alcohol in the eggnog latte at Starbucks. The official ingredients in the Starbucks drink are eggnog, milk, espresso and nutmeg.
Storing and reheating
These lattes are so good that you will want to have them throughout the season! It’s best to keep the ingredients in separate containers in the refrigerator, and put them together whenever you are ready. I like to use mason jars with lids, but any airtight container will be fine.
If you make homemade eggnog ahead of time, be sure to use it within 3 days. This is just a precaution, because the fresh eggs in it can spoil. If you make the entire drink ahead of time, don’t add the whipped cream until the end.
To reheat your latte, put the milk, eggnog and espresso in a microwave-safe mug and microwave for 30-second increments until warm. Add the whipped cream and nutmeg on top and enjoy!
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Meal prep tools for this recipe
Starbucks Eggnog Latte
- 2 espresso shots
- 1/2 cup eggnog
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Whipped cream optional, to serve
- Brew espresso shots in a large mug. Meanwhile, microwave milk and eggnog together for 1-2 minutes and froth with a milk frother afterward, or add both to a steamer to heat through and froth.
- Pour steamed milk/eggnog mixture overtop of espresso shots, stirring gently.
- Finish off the drink with whipped cream if desired, then sprinkle with nutmeg. Serve and enjoy!