This Skinny Peppermint Mocha recipe is a calorie-friendly version of the famous Starbucks holiday drink that you can make year-round at home!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Almond milk – you can use any kind of milk but almond milk keeps the calorie count low.
- Cocoa powder – you could also melt chocolate chips at the bottom of your cup while microwaving, but it’ll increase the calories.
- Mint syrup – peppermint syrup might work, just make sure you cut down on the amount or it’ll be too sweet.
- Espresso shots – you can use 1/3 to 1/2 cup of regular or decaf brew coffee instead.
- Light whipped cream – or a dairy-free alternative like coconut whipped cream.
- Candy cane – crushed up peppermint candies would also be yummy.
How to make a peppermint mocha
- Make the mint syrup.
- Mix together the milk, cocoa and syrup.
- Microwave the milk mixture.
- Brew the espresso.
- Pour everything into a mug.
- Add on your toppings and enjoy!
Calories in a Starbucks peppermint mocha
Starbucks’ peppermint mocha has a whopping 440 calories for a Grande size (473 mL) whereas this skinny version only has 110 calories. You still get that delicious festive flavour but without the high calorie count, so you can enjoy your favourite holiday drink guilt-free!
Frequently Asked Questions
A peppermint mocha is a popular holiday drink and a festive spin on the traditional mocha latte. It has all the components of the latte (aka milk and espresso), in addition to mint syrup and cocoa powder.
Starbucks’ peppermint mocha has about 95 mg of caffeine and this skinny recipe calls for two shots of espresso. You can opt for a caffeine-free version by using decaf espresso.
Peppermint mochas taste like your favourite latte with the added flavours of chocolate and peppermint. It’s rich and full-flavoured thanks to the espresso, but sweet thanks to the chocolate and mint syrup!
Yes, you can! If you want a richer drink, cut the cocoa powder in half and add 1/2 tbsp. chocolate chips to the bottom of your cup of milk when microwaving then stir everything together. You may need to microwave the mixture for an extra minute so that the chocolate chips get fully melted. I try to use a high-quality dark chocolate over milk chocolate so that it doesn't taste too sweet.
Storing the mint syrup
While you can’t store this peppermint mocha, you can make the mint syrup ahead of time! Just store it in a mason jar or airtight container in the fridge for up to one month.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- I use 16 oz mason jars as cups and storage containers for the mint syrup.
- Pick up some coffee beans or pre-ground coffee such as Lavazza.
- You may need a coffee grinder if you're using fresh whole beans.
Skinny Peppermint Mocha Recipe
- 3/4 cup almond milk (can use any milk though)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp mint syrup (see below)
- 2 espresso shots
- Light whipped cream (optional)
- 1/2 Candy cane, crushed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp mint extract
- Make the mint syrup by mixing together boiling water, sugar and mint extract. Set aside – this syrup will last up to a month in the fridge so you can enjoy a skinny peppermint mocha all December long!
- Add milk, cocoa powder and mint syrup to a mug, then microwave 1-2 minutes (will depend on the power of your microwave and how hot you want your mocha). Stir well before and after microwaving.
- While milk mixture is in microwave, brew 2 espresso shots. Add shots to the milk mixture, then top with whipped cream and crushed candy canes (both optional toppings), then serve and enjoy!