Skinny Peppermint Mocha Recipe
This Skinny Peppermint Mocha is a delicious, calorie-wise version of the Starbucks holiday coffee drink complete with candy canes, whipped cream and mint syrup! Jump to Recipe
Ingredients in peppermint mochas
I don't know about you but I am completely in the holiday mood now that we are about a month away from Christmas! I recently grabbed a peppermint mocha at one of my favourite coffee shops – I only just noticed how pricey they are! $6 for a peppermint mocha?! No thank you!
I love my fancy coffee drinks and they're a great way to get in the holiday spirit, but I just can't justify the price or the calories. What's a girl to do? Well, make her own homemade peppermint mocha, and make a healthier version! Here's what you need to make them:
- milk of choice – any type will work, from cow's milk to almond or coconut milk
- cocoa powder – no need for chocolate here!
- mint extract
- whipped cream (optional)
- candy canes (optional)
How to Make a Skinny Peppermint Mocha
Now the key to making this Skinny Peppermint Mocha is by using non-dairy milk and cocoa powder instead of real chocolate to keep the calorie count down. Technically you can use any type of milk in your peppermint mocha though, so don't be afraid to use what you have on hand! Here's how to make a peppermint mocha:
- Make the mint syrup.
- Add milk, cocoa powder and mint syrup to a mug, then microwave 1-2 minutes and stir well.
- While milk mixture is in the microwave, brew 2 espresso shots, then add them to the milk mixture.
- Top with whipped cream and crushed candy canes, if desired, then enjoy!
Making the mint syrup
You'll want to make the peppermint syrup first, and it's SO easy. You'll be able to store the syrup in a mason jar in the fridge so you can enjoy peppermint mochas all month long – it's basically just a blend of sugar and boiling water, then you'll add a tablespoon of peppermint extract to the mix.
A little bit of the peppermint syrup goes a long way and the cocoa powder adds the chocolate flavour. Top with 2 espresso shots and you have a delish Skinny Peppermint Mocha in no time!
What type of milk to use
I prefer to use a non-dairy milk like almond milk in order to keep the calorie count down. One cup of almond milk is just 30 calories compared to the 120 calories that cow's milk provides. You can choose any type of milk, but it just depends on how rich of a drink you want. Coconut milk and cashew milk are also great options!
Can you use real chocolate?
Yes you can! If you want a richer drink, cut the cocoa powder in half and add 1/2 tbsp of chocolate chips to the bottom of your cup of milk when microwaving. Stir everything together – you may need to microwave for an extra minute so that the chocolate chips get fully melted. I try to use a high-quality dark chocolate over milk chocolate if I use real chocolate so that it doesn't taste too sweet.
What type of coffee to use
I brewed 2 espresso shots for this recipe as espresso is the traditional ingredient here. However, you could also use regular brew coffee – about 1/3 to 1/2 cup will work for this recipe.
More fancy coffee recipes
If you're looking for more delicious coffee recipes, I have some iced coffee recipes that are perfect for year round drinking (yes, I'll drink iced coffee even in a blizzard!!!), and you will also love this Cinnamon Dolce Latte. This Pumpkin Cream Cold Brew is also fantastic!
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- I use 16oz mason jars as cups and storage containers for the mint syrup
- Pick up some coffee beans or pre-ground coffee such as Lavazza
- You may need a coffee grinder if you're using fresh whole beans
Meal prep challenge
If you'd like some more help with meal planning, then you'll love my free 5-day meal prep challenge! It's basically a free course that will teach you how to meal prep and cook healthy meals at home with some PDF bonus materials. Sign up for free below:
Homemade Peppermint Mocha (Video!)
- 3/4 cup almond milk (can use any milk though)
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2 tbsp mint syrup (see below)
- 2 espresso shots
- Light whipped cream (optional)
- 1/2 Candy cane, crushed
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp mint extract
- Make the mint syrup by mixing together boiling water, sugar and mint extract. Set aside - this syrup will last up to a month in the fridge so you can enjoy a skinny peppermint mocha all December long!
- Add milk, cocoa powder and mint syrup to a mug, then microwave 1-2 minutes (will depend on the power of your microwave and how hot you want your mocha). Stir well before and after microwaving.
- While milk mixture is in microwave, brew 2 espresso shots. Add shots to the milk mixture, then top with whipped cream and crushed candy canes (both optional toppings), then serve and enjoy!