This Spaghetti Squash Alfredo is a delicious, low carb twist on the classic pasta recipe. You'll shave several calories off the dish while enjoying all the flavor!
Ingredients in this dish
Here's what you need to make this easy low carb dish. Full ingredient amounts are at the bottom of the page!
- spaghetti squash
- chicken breast
- chicken broth
- heavy cream (or milk for the sauce)
- parmesan cheese, for the sauce
- mozzarella cheese, for melting overtop
How to cook spaghetti squash with alfredo sauce
- Slice squash in half lengthwise, then bake for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, saute chicken until browned, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean, then make the sauce by melting the butter, sauteeing the garlic, then adding chicken broth and cream, bringing to a boil. Stir in parmesan cheese and remove from heat.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven, and scrape with a fork to make strands.
- Add chicken, broccoli and alfredo sauce, then top with mozzarella cheese.
- Bake another 10 minutes until cheese has melted, then serve and enjoy!
What does spaghetti squash taste like?
Despite its name and appearance, it actually doesn’t taste like spaghetti at all. It has a very mild flavour that makes a great substitute for pasta.
Whatever you put on it will become the star of the dish. The strands of cooked squash are firmer than other winter squash you might have eaten before.
- Olive oil – Use any light-flavoured oil you want to drizzle over the squash.
- Spaghetti squash – It is such a great low-carb swap for pasta that you may never use pasta again. But you can serve the sauce with your favorite noodles or over cauliflower rice or zoodles.
- Chicken breasts – Substitute the chicken breasts with boneless, skinless thighs. Or use shredded rotisserie chicken or leftover chicken or turkey to make the meal prep quicker.
- Broccoli – Mix and match whatever veggies you might prefer like green peppers, kale, spinach, mushrooms, or onions.
- Butter – You need the fat in butter or any substitute to make a creamy sauce. Butter adds the best flavour, but ghee, margarine or oil will work.
- Garlic – Fresh garlic will have better flavour. But you can substitute minced garlic from a jar if needed. To use garlic powder instead, use ½ teaspoon.
- Flour – This is to thicken the sauce. Use your favorite gluten-free flour substitute or arrowroot if needed.
- Chicken broth – Feel free to use chicken stock or vegetable broth or stock.
- Heavy cream – This is the key to creating an extra creamy sauce, but it’s easy to substitute lower-fat milk or half & half if you’d prefer. Simply add 1.5 cups of milk in place of the chicken broth and cream.
- Parmesan cheese – You can substitute Asiago cheese, gruyere, or sharp white cheddar cheese and have the sharpness Parmesan brings to sauces.
- Mozzarella cheese – Monterey jack or Swiss cheese will also melt nicely on top.
- Parsley – Chopped fresh parsley, oregano, or basil make a colorful garnish. You can also leave the garnish off.
Can you have spaghetti squash on keto?
Absolutely! With less than 8 net carbs per cup, it is the perfect pasta replacement!
Using shrimp instead of chicken
It’s easy to substitute shrimp for chicken in the dish.
Heat 1 tsp. olive oil in a skillet. Sautee ½ – 1 pound peeled and deveined shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until pink. Remove it from the heat and set it aside.
Continue from step 3 of the recipe to finish.
More filling ideas
It is very easy to transform this dish into a heartier meal; just add some protein of your choice and steamed vegetables. Or, make one of these recipes to use as a filling for the squash.
How to reheat spaghetti squash in the shell
You can cook the squash ahead of time, so it works well for easier meal prep.
When you are ready to make the rest of the dish, bake it in a pan at 375°F for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the inside is warmed through.
Storing and reheating
You can store the leftovers for up to 3 days in the fridge. The melted cheese tends to turn slimy as time goes on so this is one of those recipes that is better off eaten sooner than later.
To reheat, pop it back into the oven at 350 F for 15 minutes, or microwave for 2-3 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Can you freeze this recipe?
To freeze leftovers, let the meal cool down before removing the squash and fillings. Store in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
To make the dish ahead, remove the cooked squash from the shells and mix with the chicken, broccoli, and sauce.
Put it all in a freezer-safe container, then top it with mozzarella and the airtight lid. Freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the fridge overnight and then reheat as usual.
More spaghetti squash recipes
- Chicken Pesto Spaghetti Squash
- Chicken, Spinach & Artichoke Spaghetti Squash
- Spaghetti Squash 4 Ways
Meal prep tools for this recipe
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on storing the leftovers
- I get all my free-range chicken from Butcher Box, conveniently delivered to me frozen
Spaghetti Squash Alfredo
- 2 tsp olive oil, divided
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 1/2 lb chicken breasts, diced
- 1 head broccoli, chopped into florets
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt & pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
- Parsley, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Microwave spaghetti squash for 2 min to soften, then slice in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds, then drizzle with 1 tsp olive oil, season with salt & pepper and bake for 40 min.
- Meanwhile, heat remaining tsp olive oil in a large skillet. Saute chicken until browned, then remove from heat and set aside.
- Wipe pan clean, then melt butter. Saute garlic for 30 seconds until fragrant. Whisk in flour until thickened, then whisk in chicken broth and cream, bringing to a boil. Stir in parmesan cheese and remove from heat.
- Remove spaghetti squash from oven, and scrape with a fork to make strands. Add chicken and broccoli overtop, then divide alfredo sauce among squash halves. Top with mozzarella cheese, then bake another 10 minutes until cheese has melted.
- Remove from oven, garnish with parsley then serve and enjoy!