Chicken Pesto Spaghetti Squash (Video!)
This Chicken Pesto Spaghetti Squash is a healthy low-carb, high protein dinner that's ready in just 40 minutes and filled with mushrooms, peppers & cheese!
Happy Hump Day!
Have I ever got a fantastic low-carb recipe for you! The perfect excuse to devour tons and tons of cheese, and rich, delicious homemade pesto that's whipped up in just 5 minutes.
Too good to be true, right?
Well, this Chicken Pesto Spaghetti Squash is worth dreamin' about. And it's time to make your dreams a reality!
If you're looking to get serious about meal prepping and make more delicious recipes like these, you HAVE to sign up for my free 5-day challenge below!
Even though we're already halfway through January, I feel like I have been stuck in this over-indulgencing cycle. I mean, maybe it's because of winter. Technically, I think we are biologically inclined to hibernate during this time of the year.
Bring on all the excuses for hiding out inside.?
When I need a little pick me up though, you know, some get up and go, I always turn to veggies. Sometimes freezer-friendly enchiladas. But mostly, lots and lots of veg. I don't think you can overindulge in this department.
Especially when it comes to vegetable-heavy condiments like pesto. You can never have enough pesto!
Have you discovered the magic that is spaghetti squash yet? I know it's been a trend for quite some time and is constantly flouted as an amazing new pasta alternative…blah, blah, blah…but it's actually quite tasty, and just PERFECT for different flavour combos.
No, you don't have to create a low-carb version of spaghetti and meatballs like everybody else.?
Just add ALL of the sauces.
You could even have it plain – I love it with a little bit of butter and some salt and pepper as a side dish, just sayin'.
Here's how to prepare spaghetti squash:
- Cut it in half, brush with olive oil and bake
- Once cool enough to handle, scrape sides down with a fork
- Season with salt and pepper
- Now enjoy plain or filled with lots of flavours (I love pesto, but spaghetti squash works great with other strong flavour combos like tex mex, or you can maybe even do a bruschetta or caprese version! OMG I'm obsessed!)
I am honestly kinda pissed that I shot this recipe with my old camera, because it really doesn't do this delicious Chicken Pesto Spaghetti Squash enough justice.
And the fact that this meal pretty much saves you from having to do dishes is just the bonus part.
Eat all this good stuff right out of the spaghetti squash shell – who needs bowls?! (Okay, you may want to put this on a plate unless you want a greasy dinner table…but at least you've already got a vessel for your dinner??)
Now dig in!
Grab some Glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this up for lunch!
And of course I get all my free-range chicken breasts from Butcher Box!
Chicken Pesto Spaghetti Squash
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 8 oz package mushrooms, sliced
- 1 medium sized red onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- 1 cup sliced bocconcini cheese
- 1 cup basil, packed
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 F. Cut spaghetti squash in half, then drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 35 min.
- Meanwhile, make pesto by blending all ingredients together in a small personal blender or food processor.
- Heat olive oil over med-high heat. Add chicken and sautee for 3-4 min. Add mushrooms, sauteeing for another 2 min. Add red onion, bell peppers and tomatoes, cooking for another 3-4 min. Add half the pesto, then cream. Cook another 5 min, then set aside.
- Around this time, spaghetti squash should be coming out of the oven. Once cooled, scrape down the sides of squash with a fork. Add chicken-pesto-veggie mixture and then top with sliced bocconcini cheese. Broil in oven for 4-5 min or until cheese is melted. Serve and enjoy!