Southwest Chipotle Avocado Corn Pizza is a delicious summer dinner full of summer veggies and a smoky BBQ-chipotle sauce!
How to make this recipe
- Season chicken with taco seasoning, olive oil and salt. Grill on BBQ until cooked or bake in the oven. Once the chicken has finished cooking, slice it and set aside.
- Prepare pizza toppings. First, Mix adobo sauce with pizza sauce and spread over pizza crust.
- Next, top pizza sauce and crust with cheddar cheese and spread red pepper, red onion and corn all over pizza. Season with salt then add chicken and bocconcini cheese slices on top.
- Place pizza on the grill on low, or bake in the oven until cheese is melted.
- Remove from heat and top with cilantro and red chili flakes.
- Cut using a pizza cutter, top with avocado slices and serve with your favourite summer wine! Enjoy!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken breast – chicken thighs are a great alternative to chicken breast. Chicken thighs are still a lean cut of meat but also really tender!
- Taco seasoning – use store bought taco seasoning for easier preparation or replace with chili powder.
- Salt (to taste)
- Olive oil – replace olive oil with any neutral oil such as avocado oil, canola oil or grape seed oil.
- Pizza crust – a store bought pizza crust is the best option but you can make your own! You can also try your take on this recipe with a cauliflower crust!
- Chipotle in adobo sauce – cans of chipotle and adobo sauce are available at the grocery store.
- Pizza Sauce – a can of pizza sauce will work well or make your own from a can of tomatoes.
- Shredded cheddar cheese – use any other blend of cheese that you prefer, such as mozzarella cheese.
- Bocconcini balls – fresh mini mozzarella balls or pulled apart burrata will also work.
- Red pepper – use any bell pepper colour of your choice
- Red onion – sweet onion or white onion will also work well, otherwise feel free to leave them out entirely.
- Corn – black beans are a great alternative with added protein and a similar flavour palette.
- Cilantro (to garnish)
- Avocado – sliced fresh avocado is recommended. If you’re in a pinch, leave out entirely or use fresh guacamole.
- Red chili flakes (to garnish)
Storing and reheating
If you're planning on making this pizza ahead of time for the work week or just have some leftovers you'd like to store, here's how! Typically, I pack up my meal prep pizza in glass meal prep containers or freezer bags for easy access. The pizza will last in the refrigerator for about 3 days.
Note: I recommend keeping the avocado separately and preferably uncut until serving to avoid any browning or oxidization. If you have half of an avocado leftover, sprinkle lemon juice over it to serve as a protective layer.
To reheat the pizza in a rush, you can place it in the microwave for 1-2 minutes and you're good to go! Preferably, you will want to reheat in a toaster oven or oven –this will ensure a crispy crust! All you need is 10 minutes in a 400F oven. Once it has reheated, top the pizza with the avocado slices.
Freezing this recipe
This dish is definitely freezer friendly! Pizzas freeze really well – all you have to do is assemble your flatbread as instructed (leave out the avocado until serving) and then place it in the freezer for later! The pizza will last up to two months in the freezer. Talk about an easy, last minute dinner idea!
When freezing the pizza, make sure to wrap it in plastic wrap or in a freezer bag (toppings side up, of course). When you're ready to enjoy your dish, remove the plastic wrap and pop the pizza into the oven directly from the freezer. Keep your pizza in the oven 12-15 minutes until the cheese has melted. Once it has cooked, add your avocado slices on top!
More pizza and flatbread recipes
Meal prep tools
- Grab some glass meal prep bowls if you plan on packing this pizza in the freezer.
- I always get my chicken and other meats from Butcher Box!
- Order a pizza cutter online to cut through and serve this pizza!
Avocado Corn Pizza
- 1 chicken breast
- 2 tsp taco seasoning or chili powder
- Pinch salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 premade pizza crust
- 1 can chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 can Pizza Sauce
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup mini bocconcini balls, sliced
- 1/2 red pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/2 cup Corn
- 1/3 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- Red chili flakes, for garnish
- Preheat BBQ to high heat (500 F). Cut raw chicken breats in half, then coat each piece in taco seasoning, olive oil and a bit of salt, rubbing all over chicken well. Grill for 10-15 min, flipping once. Remove from heat once cooked and slice up once cooled. Turn BBQ to med-low heat (400 F).
- Meanwhile, prepare pizza toppings. Mix 1 tbsp adobo sauce with pizza sauce and spread over pizza crust. Top with cheddar cheese and spread red pepper, red onion and corn all over pizza. Add a bit of salt to season, and then add chicken and top with bocconcini cheese slices.
- Place pizza on the grill (making sure heat is much lower) and cook for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted. Remove from heat and top with cilantro and red chili flakes. Cut using a pizza cutter, top with avocado slices and serve with your favourite summer wine! Enjoy!