This homemade Southwest spice blend is made of garlic powder, chili powder, cumin and paprika. Use it for grilling recipes and more!
What is Southwest spice blend made of?
- garlic powder – you can use onion powder instead
- chili powder – you really do need this ingredient! No swaps here unfortunately
- paprika – regular paprika can be used, or chili powder or cumin instead
- cumin – you can omit if necessary
Southwest Spice Blend
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cumin
- 1 tbsp paprika
- Mix all ingredients together in a bowl then funnel into a spice jar if desired. We have linked to the ones we use above this recipe card.
- Add sticker label to your jar if desired. Download our free template and purchase sticker printer paper above the recipe card.
Frequently asked questions
Taco seasoning, fajita seasoning and Cajun seasoning are all fairly similar to Southwest seasoning and can be used in a pinch when necessary.
No, taco seasoning has a lot more spices, including coriander, chili flakes and oregano. Southwest seasoning is a lot more simple and leans more on garlic powder for flavour.
Garlicky, smoky flavours make for a southwest flavour. Garlic powder and chili powder are the key ingredients in this seasoning.