These Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls are a fun twist on chicken wings. They’re a healthy lunch idea that you can make ahead!
Ingredients and substitutions
- Chicken breasts – you can use boneless, skinless chicken thighs instead.
- Egg – buttermilk or even regular milk can be used instead of egg to help the cornstarch stick to the chicken.
- Cornstarch – use flour or any type of gluten free flour.
- Buffalo sauce – use your fave brand of wing sauce or make up a honey-BBQ sauce if you prefer a different type of wing sauce.
- Brown rice or quinoa – swap out for any other kind of rice you want.
- Celery, carrots, red onion, tomato and romaine lettuce – feel free to use any veggies you have on hand in the fridge.
- Blue cheese – you can also use goat cheese or feta cheese.
- Cilantro – this is an optional garnish that you can leave out.
How to make this recipe
- Coat the chicken in egg and cornstarch.
- Cook the chicken.
- Prepare the veggies and rice.
- Toss the chicken in wing sauce.
- Assemble your bowls and enjoy!
Making these bowls low-carb
Feel free to leave out the rice or quinoa if you want to make these bowls low carb or you can use cauliflower rice.
You will also want to leave the cornstarch and egg out as you will not want to bread the chicken. You will just want to bake or sauté the chicken, then toss it in the sauce.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can put pretty much whatever you want in your buffalo chicken bowl! Aside from the buffalo wing sauce and chicken, the options are endless. I like serving mine with some veggies and blue cheese but you can use anything you have on hand. These bowls are also a great way to clear out your vegetable crisper.
There are 574 calories per serving in this recipe. If you want to cut down on the calorie count, feel free to leave out the cheese or serve it without the rice.
I prefer to eat these bowls hot, but if you’re taking them to work or school and don’t have access to a microwave, you can definitely eat them cold.
Storing and reheating
You can store these bowls in the fridge for up to 5 days. If you are wanting to reheat the bowls but don't want the veggies to be warm, I recommend storing the veggies separately.
You can reheat the chicken and rice together for 1-2 minutes in the microwave, making sure to sprinkle some water overtop before reheating so the chicken doesn't dry out.
Freezing the cooked chicken and rice
You can freeze both the chicken and rice but unfortunately, you can't freeze the veggies. Feel free to freeze the chicken and rice in separate containers, then let them each defrost in the fridge overnight before reheating. They’ll last in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Wanna Learn How To Meal Prep?
My meal planning service, Dinner Prep Pro, removes the guesswork and helps you get dinner on the table in 15-20 minutes each night. My meal prep checklists only take 1 hour each week!
More burrito bowl recipes
Meal prep tools for this recipe
Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 1 lb chicken breasts, diced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (I like Frank's Red Hot)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 2 stalks celery, cut into matchsticks
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 plum tomato, diced
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/4 cup blue cheese or goat cheese, crumbled
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with oil to grease it slightly. In a large bowl, toss chicken with egg and cornstarch until well-coated.
- Place on baking sheet and spread evenly. Season with a bit of salt. Bake for 15-20 min until chicken is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, prepare veggies and cook rice in a rice cooker. Divide among four meal prep bowls.
- Remove chicken from the oven and toss with buffalo wing sauce in another large bowl. Divide chicken up among bowls, along with veggies. Top with crumbled blue cheese and serve! Will keep in the fridge up to 5 days.