These Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls with blue cheese are a healthy, delicious lunch idea using mostly pantry staples for a fun twist on everyone's favourite chicken wing!
There's just something about buffalo chicken burrito bowls that screams weekend to me, and let me tell you, THANK GOD IT'S FRIDAY.
I don't know about you but it's just been one of those weeks. Okay, one of those couple of weeks LOL. You know when you just feel like work is piling up all around you, and it's summer so you just wanna get outside and enjoy the weather, but then you're stuck inside working, and the work never seems to ever end?
Oh, is that just me?
Well, meal prep to the rescue once again!
Honestly, I don't know what I would do without it.
These Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls are a fun low-calorie twist on everyone's fave pub grub, and I made a sort of coating for the chicken that is super easy and based off my version of Sesame Chicken that I made a couple months ago.
Let me tell you the secret: it's just a little bit of cornstarch and egg!
Last time, I pan-fried the sesame chicken with a sticky sesame-soy sauce and tossed it with rice, snap peas and red pepper (sidenote: OMG it's seriously one of my favourite 30-minute stir fries!!!) and this time, I decided to try baking the chicken in the oven and tossing it in buffalo sauce after the fact.
How did it turn out?
Well, as you can see yourself, quite delicious!
The coating on the chicken isn't quite a breading per se, but it does add a different texture that is at least more similar to a chicken wing than just the naked chicken breast tossed in sauce along. Plus, the buffalo wing sauce sticks a lot better once you have the coating on the chicken.
One thing I have to say is that you really can't omit the blue cheese in these Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls.
Just as cheese and different toppings are crucial in Chipotle Chicken Burrito Bowls (yes, I have a version up on the blog!), so is blue cheese to these buffalo chicken burrito bowls. There's something about the two flavours together that's really magical. You could always sub in feta or goat cheese in a crunch, but it really is worth it to buy blue cheese specifically for this recipe.
Hey, it lasts a reaaaaaally long time in the fridge if that's worth anything to you…
From there, it's just a matter of prepping the veggies (I went with chopped carrots, celery, tomatoes, lettuce and thin-sliced red onion) and sprinkling with a little bit of cilantro, and you're good to go!
I served my Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls with brown rice, but you could also do quinoa or even just enjoy these bowls without a carb. They're really filling, trust me.
Will you be making these Meal Prep Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls?
When meal prep is this easy and delicious, it's hard to see how you couldn't just set aside an hour each weekend to dedicate to these! Come on, I know these bowls are calling your name!I think
Healthy Buffalo Chicken Burrito Bowls
- 4 chicken breasts, diced
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce (I like Frank's Red Hot)
- 2 cups cooked brown rice or quinoa
- 4 stalks celery, cut into matchsticks
- 2 large carrots, cut into matchsticks
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 plum tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/2 cup blue cheese or goat cheese, crumbled
- Cilantro for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and spray with oil to grease it slightly. In a large bowl, toss chicken with egg and cornstarch until well-coated. Place on baking sheet and spread evenly. Season with a bit of salt. Bake for 15-20 min until chicken is fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, prepare veggies and cook rice according to package directions. Divide among four meal prep bowls.
- Remove chicken from the oven and toss with buffalo wing sauce in another large bowl. Divide chicken up among bowls, along with veggies. Top with crumbled blue cheese and serve! Will keep in the fridge up to 5 days.