Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala is a delicious, healthy way to enjoy Indian cuisine, and it cooks all day on low so you can enjoy a tasty curry after a long day without all the legwork! Jump to Recipe
Are chicken tikka masala and butter chicken the same?
The ingredients in chicken tikka masala and butter chicken are similar. Actually, the dishes are so similar that in some areas, the names are used interchangeably. The biggest difference between the two is in the flavor. Chicken Tikka Masala is very fragrant, with a complex flavor from the masala spices, whereas the taste of butter chicken is very basic and, well, buttery.
Simple dishes like this one are a great way to introduce people who have never eaten Indian food to the flavours of Indian cuisine. Because Slow Cooker Tikka Masala is so effortless to make, it's also the perfect curry recipe for beginners to make!
This Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala recipe is the perfect make-ahead meal for busy nights, too. In the morning, put everything into the slow cooker; when you walk in the door later that day, your house will smell amazing.
Get some rice cooking, then go change out of your work clothes. By the time you get back to the kitchen, you will only need to stir some sour cream into the slow cooker to finish off the chicken tikka masala.
Serve it in bowls with some of the rice, and get ready to enjoy a warm bowl of comfort food!
Is slow cooker chicken tikka masala healthy?
Because of its delicious creamy sauce, chicken tikka masala isn't the healthiest Indian dish you can make. That being said, one of the things that I like about this recipe is how versatile and easily adaptable it is!
If you want to cut the calories and fat a bit, it's easy to do; just swap the full-fat sour cream for low-fat sour cream or yogurt.
Instead of white rice, you can also serve this tikka masala with brown rice or even quinoa!
Some of my other favorite Indian dishes include Butternut Squash Chicken Curry and Tandoori Chicken Naan Burgers in case you're looking for some other healthier recipes that include similar flavours but you don't have time to bust out that slow cooker!
How do you make chicken tikka masala in a slow cooker?
Making this recipe truly could not be any simpler – it's a dump and go recipe!
There some tikka masala recipes that call for the meat to be marinated overnight, not with this recipe.
The slow cooker does all of the work, leaving the chicken so tender, it will practically melt in your mouth!
Does curry freeze well?
Some curry dishes freeze better than others. Because coconut milk can separate when frozen, curries with a base of coconut milk don't freeze very well.
The good news is, Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala has a tomato base, so it freezes beautifully!
To Freeze Chicken Tikka Masala:
- Cook and cool the dish completely.
- Place it into an airtight container, plastic zip-top bags, or freezable glass meal prep bowls .
- Transfer the containers to the freezer and it should stay good for up to 3 months!
When you'd like to defrost it, just remove it from the freezer and let it defrost overnight in the fridge. If you've frozen it in microwave-safe meal prep bowls you can also heat up individual serving sizes in the microwave for 8-10 minutes, stirring halfway through.
Meal prep tools
- Glass meal prep bowls are so great for microwaving and reheating your food safely
- A Rice Cooker will automatically cook the side dish of rice for you
- Restock your freezer with free-range poultry from Butcher Box
- These Bento box containers are perfect for packing the rice and curry separately in the same container
Meal prep challenge
If you'd like some more help with meal planning, then you'll love my free 5-day meal prep challenge! Sign up for free below:
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2 yellow onions, diced
- 4 medium-sized chicken breasts, about 1lb diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tbsp gingerroot, grated
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 (796mL) can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups cooked basmati rice, for serving
- Fresh cilantro, for garnish
- Naan bread (optional)
- Add all ingredients except for sour cream, rice, cilantro and naan to slow cooker in the order they are listed above and cook on high for 3 hours, or on low for 6 hours.
- Remove lid and stir in sour cream. Add rice to large bowls and top with chicken mixture, then garnish with cilantro and serve with naan (if desired). Serve and enjoy!